Comments

• Options
    gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    Happy Thanksgiving to all image

Safe travels, good food, and most of all family time together. Peace, Tim
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • Options
    MesquiteMesquite Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭
    Happy Thanksgiving to all. This sold at auction last year, thought it was time to bring out the pic.

There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.
    –John Adams, 1826
  • Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gobble Gobble, who was it that pushed for the turkey as the national bird, Jefferson? These would be different

• Options
    bestmrbestmr Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭
    Happy turkey day to you and your loved ones as well!! Now, if I can only find some Black Friday deals on PM's.....
    Positive dealing with oilstates2003, rkfish, Scrapman1077, Weather11am, Guitarwes, Twosides2acoin, Hendrixkat, Sevensteps, CarlWohlforth, DLBack, zug, wildjag, tetradrachm, tydye, NotSure, AgBlox, Seemyauction, Stopmotion, Zubie, Fivecents, Musky1011, Bstat1020, Gsa1fan several times, and Mkman123 LOTS of times
  • Options
    CiccioCiccio Posts: 1,405
    Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
    Enjoy your family, friends and your image!
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Happy Thanksgiving to all!

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    Happy Thanksgiving everyone!!
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    rpwrpw Posts: 235 ✭✭
    Happy Thanksgiving all.

Meanwhile, I'm wrapping things up here.
    imageimage Small Size National Bank Note Type Set $5-$100
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Gobble Gobble, who was it that pushed for the turkey as the national bird, Jefferson?....... >>

/////////////////////////////

Happy Turkey Day To ALL !

The Eagle, Ben Franklin, and the Turkey

A year and a half after the Great Seal was adopted by Congress on June 20, 1782 – with the bald eagle as its centerpiece – Benjamin Franklin wrote a letter to his daughter and shared some thoughts about this new symbol of America. He did not express these personal musings elsewhere, but they have become legendary.

Writing from France on January 26, 1784 to his daughter Sally (Mrs. Sarah Bache) in Philadelphia, Franklin casts doubt on the propriety of using the Bald Eagle to symbolize the "brave and honest Cincinnati of America," a newly formed society of revolutionary war officers.

The society's insignia had a poorly drawn eagle that looked more like a turkey, which prompted Franklin's naturally inquisitive mind to compare and contrast the two birds as a symbol for the United States.

Franklin previously suggested other symbols.

In his 1775 letter published in a magazine, he made a good case for the Rattlesnake as an appropriate symbol of "the temper and conduct of America."

In 1776, he made an official suggestion while on the committee Congress appointed on July 4th to design the Great Seal. His idea was an action scene with Moses and Pharaoh, which the committee recommended for the reverse side of the Great Seal.

NOTE: Congress approved Charles Thomson's eagle design the same day he submitted it – June 20, 1782. There was not a "great debate amongst the Founding Fathers" as to which would be the national bird (as suggested by the History Channel's "Secrets of the Dollar Bill").

There was however a veritable menagerie of feathered symbols in the Great Seal designs suggested by the preliminary committees: a two-headed eagle, a rooster, a dove, and a "phoenix in flames."

Franklin's Letter to His Daughter (excerpt)

"For my own part I wish the Bald Eagle had not been chosen the Representative of our Country. He is a Bird of bad moral Character. He does not get his Living honestly. You may have seen him perched on some dead Tree near the River, where, too lazy to fish for himself, he watches the Labour of the Fishing Hawk; and when that diligent Bird has at length taken a Fish, and is bearing it to his Nest for the Support of his Mate and young Ones, the Bald Eagle pursues him and takes it from him.

"With all this Injustice, he is never in good Case but like those among Men who live by Sharping & Robbing he is generally poor and often very lousy. Besides he is a rank Coward: The little King Bird not bigger than a Sparrow attacks him boldly and drives him out of the District. He is therefore by no means a proper Emblem for the brave and honest Cincinnati of America who have driven all the King birds from our Country . . .

"I am on this account not displeased that the Figure is not known as a Bald Eagle, but looks more like a Turkey. For the Truth the Turkey is in Comparison a much more respectable Bird, and withal a true original Native of America . . . He is besides, though a little vain & silly, a Bird of Courage, and would not hesitate to attack a Grenadier of the British Guards who should presume to invade his Farm Yard with a red Coat on."

NOTE: "Because of their size, bald eagles are not concerned about threats from other birds. However, eagles are often chased by smaller birds, who are trying to protect their young. . . It was Benjamin Franklin's observations of a bald eagle either ignoring or retreating from such mobbing that probably led to his claim of the bald eagle's lack of courage."

greatseal.com

link

Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Happy Thanksgiving, all!
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ah Franklin, thanks Storm, shook the memory back a bit.

So how did folks gorge today? We hit my family event for a bit, stuffed myself on turkey and fixins and manicotti and sausage, no dessert for me (lost my cookie and pie/cake tooth after working in a coffee/pastry shop for a few years) but they were there and delicious.