Home Precious Metals
Options

Stackers beware! The chinese are coming out with counterfeit Engelhards

mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
Go to kitco forums and read, a poster mentioned that there were some 100 oz Engelhards coming from China that they have found to be fake! Its bad that you have to be fearful about your slabbed coins and morgans dollars being a fake, now the bullion stackers are going to have to be real careful!!
Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.

Comments

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,203 ✭✭✭✭✭
    gold has its tungsten.

is there any metal with approximately the same density as silver?
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    FrankcoinsFrankcoins Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Go to kitco and read, a poster mentioned that there were some 100 Engelhards coming from China that they have found to be fake! Its bad that you have to be fearful about your slabbed coins and morgans dollars being a fake, now the bullion stackers are going to have to be real careful!! >>

Chinese manufacturers have been openly advertising that they will make fake gold bars to any specifications desired...for about 5 years

http://www.tungsten-alloy.com/en/alloy11.htm
    Frank Provasek - PCGS Authorized Dealer, Life Member ANA, Member TNA. www.frankcoins.com
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>gold has its tungsten.

is there any metal with approximately the same density as silver? >>

Pure silver has a density of 10.49.
    An alloy of 80% lead, 20% zinc has a density of 10.50.
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    Wonder if they will pass the "ring" test ?
    Support your local Coin Shop
    LM-ANA3242-CSNS308-MSNS226-ICTA
  • Options

<< <i>Wonder if they will pass the "ring" test ? >>

Did you say ring test?. Uhm...not so accurate...
  • Options
    There were fake Engelhard 100s at least 15 years ago. If people made them when silver was only $4 per ounce they are surely making them now.
  • Options
    tydyetydye Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭
    First for me today. Encountered fake one oz silver art bars. Plenty of rounds but never a bar until today
  • Options
    BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    The Chinese have to sell their counterfeit bullion to the US. If they sold it over there they would get their hands cut offimage----------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Options
    tydye, what did the art bar look like? Just curious if I could have ended up with any and what to look out for---------------------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Options
    It was a Happy Birthday with balloons on it
  • Options
    thanksimage
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    tydye why did you think it was fake? Any pictures? Thanks!
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    You believe that YT video, with all those edits? They did not show the bar being fully cut, taken off the saw and shown to the camera in real time. Did you ever think maybe those guys have an interest in trying to make people think the ring test doesnt work? Just a thought...or am I being too cynical?
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • Options

<< <i>You believe that YT video, with all those edits? They did not show the bar being fully cut, taken off the saw and shown to the camera in real time. Did you ever think maybe those guys have an interest in trying to make people think the ring test doesnt work? Just a thought...or am I being too cynical? >>

I thought it was just funny when they found out they cut a legit bar. Sometimes fun is enough for me.
  • Options
    Sorry - no pictures. A dealer friend of mine showed it to me. It had a similar look as in surfaces to the fake round that Weiss showed in another thread. He did not mention if it was light but I assume so.
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    So what is the better investment, a phony tungsten gold bar,

or a phony lead, copper silver bar?
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage