Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

New Commemoratives Updated with grades

ajaanajaan Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭✭
Picked these up at the Buffalo Numismatic Association monthly show yesterday. Question - do you think the Stone Mountain is Uncirculated? I had a discussion with the seller over this.

DPOTD-3
'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don

Comments

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    From those photos it’s hard to tell, but it appears that the surfaces don’t “play” with the light (cartwheel luster) the way true mint luster does. The gray metallic makes me thing that this is a dipped out slider or AU coin that has been dipped.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think I would call the Stone Mountain MS. The knee appears to have rub and is discolored.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    Thanks for the replies. The Stone Mountain really looks nicer, it hasn't been dipped but my image makes it look so. I wanted to image it the best way to show wear, if any. I only paid $48 for it so if it is only AU I guess that's OK.

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Stone Mountain looks like an AU that has been dipped to death. The Boone has probably been dipped as well.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    Isnt that a Boone?
  • Options
    Now I see it. The Stone is AU at best.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Now I see it. The Stone is AU at best. >>

ill agree with that. its not a ms coin for sure
  • Options
    Well I guess you guys were correct. The Stone Mountain came back AU58 but with a Double Die Reverse.

The Boone came back MS65.

Question: Does the Double Die Reverse on the Stone Mountain increase its value any? TIA

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Question: Does the Double Die Reverse on the Stone Mountain increase its value any? >>

Not particularly. Although, there are those on eBay who bid stupid money on ANY coin doubling.

Cheers,

Bob
  • Options
    Thanks, I was hoping it added to the value, but oh well . . .

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Stone MT. looks AU to me. It looks like it has rub on the higher points of the design.
    Instagram: nomad_numismatics

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file