Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

HockeyAutoCollector's signed rookies (Updated: Many new additions)

Comments

• Options
    Great mail day today.

Andy Bathgate - TTM
    Serge Savard - TTM
    Johnny Bower - Frozen Pond signing
    Chris Chelios - Frozen Pond signing
    Brett Hull - Frozen Pond signing
    Sidney Crosby - private transaction
    Alex Ovechkin - private transaction

I didn't really plan on getting into modern players, but these two are just too good to pass up.

I will also be getting a couple other Ovechkin's signed at an upcoming signing.

Thanks
    Sean

Always Looking for vintage hockey autographs

The Broderick Collection
  • Options
    A few more in the mail today.

Bert Olmstead - TTM
    Dale Hawerchuk - TTM

Thanks
    Sean

The Broderick Collection
  • Options
    Reese3333Reese3333 Posts: 2,407 ✭✭
    Sean,

Great collection! I can't believe today was the first time I've seen your thread. Hope all is going well!

Reese
    Collecting the following autographed sets:
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
    Please be sure to check out my auctions!
  • Options
    What's the deal with the Gretzky rookie auto? I thought that Wayne wasn't signing his OPC/Topps rookies anymore. I guess this is incorrect?
  • Options
    jswietonjswieton Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭

<< <i>What's the deal with the Gretzky rookie auto? I thought that Wayne wasn't signing his OPC/Topps rookies anymore. I guess this is incorrect? >>

IMO he probably refuses to sign them TTM to his home address because he uses an autopen. People probably started complaining after they sent them to get authenticated. I am pretty sure he will still sign them in person and at paid signings.
  • Options

<< <i>Sean,

Great collection! I can't believe today was the first time I've seen your thread. Hope all is going well!

Reese >>

Hey Reese,

Thanks! Haven't talked in awhile. I hope all is going well with you and your collection!
    Thanks
    Sean

The Broderick Collection
  • Options

<< <i>What's the deal with the Gretzky rookie auto? I thought that Wayne wasn't signing his OPC/Topps rookies anymore. I guess this is incorrect? >>

I never heard that about his rookie card, but I have heard that about his 88-89 Topps card, where he is holding up his Kings jersey after the trade to L.A. I have heard that he has only ever signed those for his kids.
    Thanks
    Sean

The Broderick Collection
  • Options
    Here is my latest success TTM.

Harry Howell. Always a great signer and a class act!

Thanks
    Sean

The Broderick Collection
  • Options
    Another one in the mail today. This one came in from a show two weekends ago in PA.

Thanks
    Sean

The Broderick Collection
  • Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    Nice pickups Sean. You've got a sweet signed hockey rookie card collection!

Mike
    Buying US Presidential autographs
  • Options

<< <i>Nice pickups Sean. You've got a sweet signed hockey rookie card collection!

Mike >>

Thanks, Mike!! But it doesn't compare to your rookie collection, which is mind-blowing!
    Thanks
    Sean

The Broderick Collection
  • Options
    I just got these back from a signing at Frozen Pond. Couldn't really decide which one was his "rookie" so I got 3 signed. Will probably end up keeping 2 of them.

Thanks
    Sean

The Broderick Collection
  • Options
    artistlostartistlost Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭
    Nice Ovechkins. If it was me, I would keep the Upper Deck Young Guns.

mathew
    baseball & hockey junkie

drugs of choice
    NHL hall of fame rookies
  • Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Nice Ovechkins. If it was me, I would keep the Upper Deck Young Guns.

mathew >>

Agree, very nice cards. The UD is considered his rookie.
  • Options

<< <i>Nice Ovechkins. If it was me, I would keep the Upper Deck Young Guns.

mathew >>

Definitely keeping the YGs. I figured I would keep one of the pre-rookies and his rookie with the Capitals.
    Thanks
    Sean

The Broderick Collection
  • Options
    Hey Sean,

I'd be interested in whatever one you dont' want

Thanks,

Mike
  • Options

<< <i>Hey Sean,

I'd be interested in whatever one you dont' want

Thanks,

Mike >>

Mike,

Whenever I make a decision I will let you know.
    Thanks
    Sean

The Broderick Collection
  • Options
    Another one in the mail today, this one from Bob Pulford.

Thanks
    Sean

The Broderick Collection
  • Options
    eyeboneeyebone Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭
    once again, sean, a great thread. don't you just love how most of those "old-timers" have beautiful and legible signatures, as compared to the scribbles one often gets from today's players.

keep posting. eyebone
    "I'm not saying I'm the best manager in the world, but I'm in the top one." Brian Clough
  • Options
    lanemyer85lanemyer85 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭
    Another one in the mail today, this one from Bob Pulford.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

regards,

every Blackhawk fan
  • Options

<< <i>once again, sean, a great thread. don't you just love how most of those "old-timers" have beautiful and legible signatures, as compared to the scribbles one often gets from today's players.

keep posting. eyebone >>

Definitely enjoy the autographs of the old-timers better, with their legible writing. I like guys newer guys, like Crosby, when he takes his time, but the old-timers almost always put the time in to give a quality autograph.
    Thanks
    Sean

The Broderick Collection
  • Options
    With things being a bit slow with the TTM and show signings, I thought I would add some other signed rookies that I've obtained over the last couple of months via other avenues.

Here are some guys already authenticated by PSA/DNA:

I also was able to pick up a couple guys who are deceased:

Thanks
    Sean

The Broderick Collection
  • Options
    artistlostartistlost Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭
    I love it when this thread gets bumped with new additions.

GREAT cards!

mathew
    baseball & hockey junkie

drugs of choice
    NHL hall of fame rookies
  • Options
    That's a nice bunch you just added. Good stuff.

Mike
  • Options
    Nice Yzerman and Mario! Those were two of my all time favorite hockey cards growing up as a kid. WTG!!
  • Options
    Great collection !

No way that Upper Deck is Ovechkins rookie card. He had 6 cards in Russia before the Caps card. They were licensed and from the pro league.

And EYEBONE - I love the signatures of past players - readable and worth every ounce of ink !

Maybe I'll feature my soccer autograph collection ?

• Options
    Thanks for all the kind words!

<< <i>Great collection !

No way that Upper Deck is Ovechkins rookie card. He had 6 cards in Russia before the Caps card. They were licensed and from the pro league.

And EYEBONE - I love the signatures of past players - readable and worth every ounce of ink !

Maybe I'll feature my soccer autograph collection ? >>

Hun,

Do you know of the 6 cards Ovie had before his time in the league? Were they all from Russia? I know he had a couple ITG cards before the Young Guns. I am assuming the 2 other ones that I got signed are 2 of those 6?

Definitely show off your soccer collection! I think others would love to see it.
    Thanks
    Sean

The Broderick Collection
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Sean .. those are some nice pickups! Still remember watching Gump play without a mask! Those guys were CRAZY!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options

<< <i>Thanks for all the kind words!

<< <i>Great collection !

Maybe I'll feature my soccer autograph collection ? >>

Hun,

Do you know of the 6 cards Ovie had before his time in the league? Were they all from Russia? I know he had a couple ITG cards before the Young Guns. I am assuming the 2 other ones that I got signed are 2 of those 6?

Definitely show off your soccer collection! I think others would love to see it. >>

Sean,

Yes - the two you have are from the 6 I know of from the Russian League. I believe he had 3 in each set. You have the earliest that I am aware of, but need to check the Beckett Bible to see fo sure.

here are pics

I love the focus of your collection. I just found a list of the top 100 soccer goalkeepers of all time. Trying to get them signed would be impossible and even insane. However, I am trying to see if I can get a card of everyone on the list issued during their playing days. I have a very good start with my vintage cards collection.

• Options

<< <i>Sean .. those are some nice pickups! Still remember watching Gump play without a mask! Those guys were CRAZY! >>

Being a former goalie, I 100% agree with you!!
    Thanks
    Sean

The Broderick Collection
  • Options

<< <i>Sean,

Yes - the two you have are from the 6 I know of from the Russian League. I believe he had 3 in each set. You have the earliest that I am aware of, but need to check the Beckett Bible to see fo sure.

here are pics

I love the focus of your collection. I just found a list of the top 100 soccer goalkeepers of all time. Trying to get them signed would be impossible and even insane. However, I am trying to see if I can get a card of everyone on the list issued during their playing days. I have a very good start with my vintage cards collection. >>

Hun,

Thanks for the information and good luck with your collection!!
    Thanks
    Sean

The Broderick Collection
  • Options
    Here are four new ones that I got in today. These all came from recent signings held by AJ Sports World.

I had this card signed IP when I was about 13 years old, but unfortunately I can't find it.

Thanks
    Sean

The Broderick Collection
  • Options
    Here are two TTM returns. It has been awhile, hopefully signs of good things to come! Both were out for 75 days.

Thanks
    Sean

The Broderick Collection
  • Options
    love the readable signatures !

very nice collection - image
  • Options
    UPS left a package on the front step today. Enclosed was the card I sent in over two months ago to get signed. "The Captain" canceled the private signing 3x but finally came through in the middle of last month. I was definitely happy to add this one to my collection, though I was a bit disappointed with the Steiner sticker on the back. I forgot to request nothing be placed on the card, other than the autograph, though I am used to dealing with Frozen Pond and AJ Sports World, who do not put stickers on cards. My bad for not thinking it through. Still happy to add this one to my collection!

Thanks
    Sean

The Broderick Collection
  • Options
    That Messier Signing Must Have Cost some nice chunk of change. He is a tough and expensive. That is a beauty.
  • Options
    eyeboneeyebone Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭
    ^^^^^^what he said.

nice going sean. tommy johnson a tough one too i think.

eyebone
    "I'm not saying I'm the best manager in the world, but I'm in the top one." Brian Clough
  • Options
    That Messier is fantastic! He is probably the most difficult living HHOF'er to obtain.
  • Options
    Autos4AlexAutos4Alex Posts: 442 ✭✭✭
    Great pickup!
  • Options
    Mark was pricey, but it was not as expensive as Gretzky and definitely less than getting my Orr rookie signed. It was definitely worth it as I haven't heard many pleasant stories when meeting him IP. It's unfortunate as most hockey players I have met in my time in the game and collecting are very nice people.

<< <i>^^^^^^what he said.

nice going sean. tommy johnson a tough one too i think.

eyebone >>

Unfortunately, Tom Johnson passed away in 2007.
    Thanks
    Sean

The Broderick Collection
  • Options
    I have seen more than a few 79/80 OPC Gretzkys Signed, but certainly not many Messiers. Messier is a tough autograph maybe as George Armstrong, even Dryden signs on occassion. I saw a George Armstrong autograph card from the 1960's not his rookie go for $37 and change on Ebay. I should have bought it. Armstrong does not even have a Certified as far as I know. I still like the Certified Messier ITG Heroes and Prospects.
  • Options

<< <i>I have seen more than a few 79/80 OPC Gretzkys Signed, but certainly not many Messiers. Messier is a tough autograph maybe as George Armstrong, even Dryden signs on occassion. I saw a George Armstrong autograph card from the 1960's not his rookie go for $37 and change on Ebay. I should have bought it. Armstrong does not even have a Certified as far as I know. I still like the Certified Messier ITG Heroes and Prospects. >>

From the information I have, Armstrong will not sign, even IP, much like Messier, though I have heard Messier signing occasionally. Dryden will sign one item, and personalize it, if you send him something via the Parliament in Canada. I was happy to pick up both of their rookie cards already signed.
    Thanks
    Sean

The Broderick Collection
  • Options
    I've met Mark Messier a few times those last few years and he's always signed for me, sometimes even multiples!
  • Options

<< <i>I've met Mark Messier a few times those last few years and he's always signed for me, sometimes even multiples! >>

Good to hear that you had some good experiences. Where did you meet him? Most people that I have talked to have had minimal luck getting him to sign in person.
    Thanks
    Sean

The Broderick Collection
  • Options
    Here are a few new pickups.

Thanks
    Sean

The Broderick Collection
  • Options
    Where did you get Stevens and LaFontaine? Housely is a good signer, but LaFontaine not so much.
  • Options

<< <i>Where did you get Stevens and LaFontaine? Housely is a good signer, but LaFontaine not so much. >>

I actually got them off someone I buy things from regularly. From what I understand, Lafontaine can be gotten through his charity with a donation. Stevens is hit and miss, but a friend of mine got him through the Devils.
    Thanks
    Sean

The Broderick Collection
  • Options
    That is a nice Scott Stevens. I hate the Devils, but admire Tough Guys like Scott Stevens. He is one of my favorite tough guys along with Dale Hunter. You are very lucky to get Cournoyer's Rookie Back Signed. I got my 1970 Topps Cournoyer Signed around the same time as you. The people on sportscollectors.net are getting back just the Molson cards from Cournoyer.Guy Lapointe sent me a molson card instead of my archives card.
  • Options

<< <i>That is a nice Scott Stevens. I hate the Devils, but admire Tough Guys like Scott Stevens. He is one of my favorite tough guys along with Dale Hunter. You are very lucky to get Cournoyer's Rookie Back Signed. I got my 1970 Topps Cournoyer Signed around the same time as you. The people on sportscollectors.net are getting back just the Molson cards from Cournoyer.Guy Lapointe sent me a molson card instead of my archives card. >>

I was definitely happy to get my Cournoyer back when I did. I almost bought a signed rookie after I heard of all the stories of him not signing. But I decided to wait until I got back from the holiday break and when I got home my card was waiting for me. I only sent him one card to sign and that could have helped.

I am originally a NJ boy and still a Devils fan, so I can't talk to you anymore image My father used to take me to the games in the 80s and I always want to be like Alain Chevrier.
    Thanks
    Sean

The Broderick Collection
  • Options
    Today, I received my cards back from Jean Beliveau. Didn't know really which one to consider his rookie card, so I sent him his 1951 Laval Dairy and 1953 Parkhurst to get signed. He is such a great signer!! Unfortunately, it looks like 1953 Parkies don't hold up as well in the mail as this one and my Harry Howell had corner damage when I got them back. I think I just had bad luck with them getting run through the mail maching wrong, but it was sad to see. Guess I should learn my lesson not to send such nice cards.

Thanks
    Sean

The Broderick Collection