Home Sports Talk
Options

The Philadelphia Eagles official Super Bowl XLV thread

stevekstevek Posts: 27,756 ✭✭✭✭✭
I'm been sitting here just trying to figure out which AFC team we're gonna be playing?

Comments

• Options
    In case anyone was wondering what the XLV means...it means Xtra Large Victory for the Eagles.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't buy tickets yet!image
  • Options

<< <i>I wouldn't buy tickets yet!image >>

Tickets?...heck, I already ordered my "Eagles Super Bowl XLV Champions" hat and jersey. image
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The XLV definition is quite good, I must admit..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm been sitting here just trying to figure out which AFC team we're gonna be playing? >>

• Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Manning? Fumble? This game is nuts.
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    I'm not normally a rabid Eagles fan, but after the "Boys, Pack and Saints all covered, and the Eagles -3 the 4th team in my 4-team sheet bet, all I gotta say is thank you Mr. McCoy! image

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Nice solid win tonight - still a long way to go.
  • Options
    Another big game today - should be a good one.

I'd wish Bears fans "good luck" but you'd know I wouldn't mean it. image
  • Options
    The Vick bubble is bursting.
  • Options
    I believe that the "POP" you heard was the bubble!
  • Options
    The Bears game just sorta "got away" from the Eagles and it was a game played right after a big emotional win against the Giants...so the bottom line is the Bears caught the Eagles at the right time - the result next time they play could very well be different.

I'm pleased with where the Eagles are at right now...not satisfied, but pleased...and I have been quite pleased with Michael Vick - beyond expectations.
  • Options
    Good teams do not get caught at the right time. Look at the Steelers, Patriots, Falcons and the Jets. There are games they could have lost, but they found ways to win and were not "caught" at the right time. Yes, they each have two loses a piece but they could have more.
  • Options

<< <i>Good teams do not get caught at the right time. Look at the Steelers, Patriots, Falcons and the Jets. There are games they could have lost, but they found ways to win and were not "caught" at the right time. Yes, they each have two loses a piece but they could have more. >>

You have absolutely no clue about the NFL do you? Good teams get "sandwiched" in between big games all the time and don't perform as well in those games...as well as sometimes underperforming after winning a big game. You can look it up, when good teams as favorites sometimes lose to betting dogs, it is almost invariably one of these situations.

Keep reading my posts - You'll learn something about the NFL...then you can come back here with another alt-ID and appear more knowledgeable. LOL
  • Options
    No clue about the NFL? Your so called "sandwiched" games would be referred to as a "trap" game. All I am saying is that SB contending teams do not lose the so called "trap" games. The Patriots and Jets had their "trap" game last week against the Lions and Bengals before they play each other and both won their respective games. NFL teams are going to lose games throughout the season, but you were making excuses for the Eagles. I was just pointing out that they are not as good as you think they are.
  • Options

<< <i>No clue about the NFL? Your so called "sandwiched" games would be referred to as a "trap" game. All I am saying is that SB contending teams do not lose the so called "trap" games. The Patriots and Jets had their "trap" game last week against the Lions and Bengals before they play each other and both won their respective games. NFL teams are going to lose games throughout the season, but you were making excuses for the Eagles. I was just pointing out that they are not as good as you think they are. >>

<<< I was just pointing out that they are not as good as you think they are. >>>

If the Eagles went 19 - 0 and won every game by 50 - 0...you still wouldn't think they were very good. LOL
  • Options
    That's looking better now. image

Philadelphia Eagles 8 4 0 .667 344 281 4-2-0 4-2-0 2-1-0 5-3-0 Won 1
    New York Giants 7 4 0 .636 277 240 4-2-0 3-2-0 1-2-0 5-2-0 Won 1
    Washington Redskins 5 6 0 .455 215 262 2-4-0 3-2-0 2-1-0 4-4-0 Lost 1
    Dallas Cowboys 3 8 0 .273 256 301 1-5-0 2-3-0 1-2-0 2-6-0 Lost 1
  • Options
    Vick will not make it through the regular season.
  • Options
    Except for bad luck and bad calls from the refs, I can't see how the Eagles could lose this game tonight against the stinkin' Cowboys.
  • Options
    ChiefsFan1stChiefsFan1st Posts: 845 ✭✭✭
    Even though I am a chiefs fan, cant deny the fact the eagles are a darn good team. (IMO) Probably the best in their division. But I cant shake the feeling that Atlanta is probably the team to beat in the NFC. They just seem to always find a way to win. But I am pulling for the eagles this week. Have a buddy who is a big Cowboys fan and it always makes my day when I can explain to him the team with more points actually WON the game!image
    I dont wanna grow up, Im a Toys-R-Us kid!
  • Options
    Kudos to the Cowboys for a good hard fought football game - they never quit and kept battling.

Eagles playing some excellent football right now, and I think they can get better. But some other tough NFC teams out there - little ways to go yet, but I'm already looking forward to some great playoff football action - should be some outstanding games for the NFC title.
  • Options
    Congrats on the W, the Eagles were definately the better team.
  • Options
    dfr52dfr52 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭
    Very good game, the better team run but it was nice to see the Cowboys still fighting.

Super Bowl XXVIII: Buffalo Bills vs Dallas Cowboys -
    Running back Emmitt Smith rushed for 132 yards and 2
    touchdowns earning Super Bowl MVP honors as the Cowboys
    defeated the Bills 30-13 to win their second consecutive NFL
    title.
  • Options
    My Eagles' narrow defeat of a last-place team shouldn't feel as good as it does. The Birds show such offensive explosiveness that it's hard not to react by jumping off the living room sofa following DeSean's and LeSean's antics. That's what feels good!

For a run-first Reid, it sure is a nice luxury to hand the ball to #25 and watch him run free for a big one every one at times.

It's worth remembering that it's often the healthy team that makes the deepest playoff run. To that end, I hope the ailing Eagle LBs and DBs get well soon.

Over the long-term, it's remarkable to project how good this team is when one considers their youth. This could bode very well for an Eagles success with longevity. Let's hope this translates to that long sought-after Fourth NFL Title!
  • Options

<< <i>My Eagles' narrow defeat of a last-place team shouldn't feel as good as it does. The Birds show such offensive explosiveness that it's hard not to react by jumping off the living room sofa following DeSean's and LeSean's antics. That's what feels good!

For a run-first Reid, it sure is a nice luxury to hand the ball to #25 and watch him run free for a big one every one at times.

It's worth remembering that it's often the healthy team that makes the deepest playoff run. To that end, I hope the ailing Eagle LBs and DBs get well soon.

Over the long-term, it's remarkable to project how good this team is when one considers their youth. This could bode very well for an Eagles success with longevity. Let's hope this translates to that long sought-after Fourth NFL Title! >>

There's no doubt, not debatable, that the Eagles can play with any team in the league, and we have as much overall talent as any team in the league.

Let's be honest...we tried to cover up for him because he was an Eagle, but Donovan McNabb was a decent skilled quarterback who was a choke artist. Jimmy Johnson's defenses often covered up for his inadequacies. With a Michael Vick playing the way he is at the helm, we coulda had one or two Super Bowl victories in the past ten seasons. But the past is the past and nothing can be done about it.

I'm as excited and more about this Eagles team as any previous Eagles team ever that I have watched. We are a legitimate Super Bowl contender and with a little bit of luck, as most all teams need during a successful Super Bowl run, we very well could win our 4th NFL Championship this season.
  • Options
    Andy Reid's Eagles have been terrific for over a decade and they just haven't gotten over the top. Though the Eagles have my favorite team from childhood, I am in a strange spot because I have a strong aversion toward a recidivate thug like Michael Vick representing my team.

On many levels, I'll welcome an Eagles Super Bowl Championship regardless of circumstance. However, I wish the Eagles could win it all in a season commandeered by someone other than #7.

• Options

<< <i>Andy Reid's Eagles have been terrific for over a decade and they just haven't gotten over the top. Though the Eagles have my favorite team from childhood, I am in a strange spot because I have a strong aversion toward a recidivate thug like Michael Vick representing my team.

On many levels, I'll welcome an Eagles Super Bowl Championship regardless of circumstance. However, I wish the Eagles could win it all in a season commandeered by someone other than #7. >>

I totally understand the thought process - Ron Jaworski unfortunately got booed in Philly, but never by me...he made the most out of his talent as any athlete I've ever seen, and always played hard. I would have liked to have seen him get a ring. I would have liked to have seen McNabb get a ring or even Randall Cunningham. But they didn't and that's that - nothing can be done about it.

In my opinion it was time for McNabb to go, and Reid gave Kolb every chance, and as much as I was rooting for kolb to succeed, in my opinion he likely doesn't have what it takes to be a championship caliber, winning quarterback in the NFL. He's a bottom team #1, or a good team #2, just like he is now is perfect for him. If the Eagles need him I think he's capable of stepping it up for a few games...I just don't think he can keep it up on a high level for an entire season. Frankly, he just didn't seem like he enjoyed getting hit out there and I don't blame him...but if ya look at basically every championship quarterback in the history of the NFL, they had one thing in common, they didn't mind mixing it up, they stood in the pocket and took that hit to get a completion when needed, and they ran the ball into the line without hesitation to try to get a first down - Michael Vick has those qualities...sorry to say I don't think that Kevin Kolb has those qualities.

To summarize...ya gotta take what ya got, and Vick is who we got...and so I'm rooting for him, as hard as I can, as long as he is in an Eagles uniform. And frankly, his story of redemption ya gotta admit is pretty dam good so far...whether he keeps it up or not only time will tell.
  • Options
    onward...........................................................
  • Options
    If you don't want to see DeSean dance in the end zone, then tackle him before he gets there!
  • Options
    Can you think of any other time in NFL history that a team started the season with their #1 pulled after the first game and
    then took off with their #2 the way the Eagles have ?

It would be laughable if Andy Reid gets any coach of the year honors after declaring Kolb his starter at the beginning of the season..
  • Options
    Is there any other team in the league that has multiple players with pure athletic talent and football ability like the Eagles' DeSean Jackson and Michael Vick?

There are probably a number of teams that have players with athleticism along the lines of Jeremy Maclin, Quintin Mikell, Asante Samuel, and Ellis Hobbs - speedy, agile guys. However, I cannot think of a team that has two quasi-transcendent game-changers like DeSean and Vick. I don't know the NFL as well as some though.

Unfortunately, high degrees of pure athletic talent seems to have a high correlation with risk-taking. Hence, the two subjects are going to be injury-prone. This doesn't make it any less fun to watch.
  • Options
    Eagles have sights set on No. 2 playoff seed
    POSTED: December 26, 2010 By Jeff McLane

Inquirer Staff Writer

POSTED: December 26, 2010 Eagles have sights set on No. 2 playoff seed
    By Jeff McLane

Inquirer Staff Writer

Unlike millions of boys and girls who opened their presents Saturday morning, the Eagles will have to wait until Jan. 2 to find out whether Santa brought them what they wanted most for Christmas.

Aside from something silver, shiny, and shaped like a football on a pedestal, what they want most is the No. 2 seed in the playoffs.

"I want that two seed. I want that bye week. I want home field," Eagles safety Quintin Mikell said last week. "That's important, especially the home field. If you get home field this time of year, it's big."

Several things have to happen for the Eagles to secure the NFC's No. 2 seed, first of which is beating the Minnesota Vikings on Sunday night. The next step would be topping Dallas the following week. Finally, Chicago would have to lose one of its final two games.

If all of that happens, and it could - the Eagles are and will be heavily favored in their next two games, and the Bears have tough contests against the New York Jets (Sunday, 1 p.m.) and Green Bay - then the Eagles' 12-4 record would trump Chicago's 11-5 mark.

If both teams finish 12-4, though, the Bears own the head-to-head tiebreaker. The Eagles then would finish as the No. 3 seed and host a first-round playoff game against a wild-card opponent.

But looking ahead can be dangerous. For evidence, see 2008 and 2009. But first things first: If the Eagles win Sunday, they clinch the NFC East and coach Andy Reid's ninth playoff appearance in 12 seasons. Of course, the Eagles could clinch by kickoff if the New York Giants lose a 4:15 p.m. start at Green Bay.

"It eases your mind to know somebody lost, because you're guaranteed in," tight end Brent Celek said. "But still, we want that bye."

The Eagles haven't had a first-round bye since 2004, which is the last time they reached the Super Bowl. Mikell, one of only a few leftovers from that team, recalled the importance of the extra week off that year.

"For me, it was big because I had dislocated my shoulder and didn't play in the last two games," said Mikell, who mostly played on special teams that season. "So I needed that extra week to get my shoulder healthy and get back on the field."

Last season, the Eagles entered their final game needing only a win at Dallas for a first-round bye. But the Cowboys smoked them, 24-0, and the Eagles were forced to return to Texas the following week to take another pummeling.

In 2008, the Eagles had no shot at the bye, but when they traveled to face the 7-7 Redskins for Game 15, a victory would have given them control of their own playoff destiny with one game to play. They lost, 10-3. The Eagles clobbered Dallas the following week but only a fortuitous series of events led to a postseason berth.

That Redskins team still had something to play for. The Vikings do not. They're 5-9, out of the playoff picture, and most likely down to their third-string quarterback. Brett Favre has not been ruled out for the game, but the 41-year-old likely Hall of Famer did not practice all week after suffering a concussion last Sunday.

If Favre can't go, 24-year-old Joe Webb will earn his first career NFL start. He replaced Favre last week after he went down but threw two interceptions and was sacked three times. Former Vikings coach Brad Childress, who was fired last month, once contemplated moving Webb to receiver.

"He had some great drives the other night, and you saw his ability to run, do the play-pass, the naked stuff," Reid said. "And he's got an absolute gun of an arm."

A healthy Adrian Peterson would ease Webb's load, but the all-pro running back is questionable with a knee injury.

Whether Favre or Peterson play, it shouldn't matter for the 141/2-point favorite Eagles. They're home, where they've won four straight, and riding on the euphoria of last week's stunning comeback victory over the Giants.

Of course, stranger things have happened. With two games remaining, the Eagles could do as well as the No. 1 seed or as bad as not making the playoffs. Both scenarios are long shots, although the latter would be like finding a lump of coal in your stocking.
  • Options
    z - Philadelphia 10 4 0 .714 4-2-0 6-2-0 4-1-0 7-3-0 412 339 +73 Won 3
    NY Giants 9 6 0 .600 5-3-0 4-3-0 2-3-0 7-4-0 377 333 +44 Lost 2
    Washington 6 9 0 .400 2-5-0 4-4-0 2-3-0 4-7-0 288 360 -72 Won 1
    Dallas 5 10 0 .333 2-6-0 3-4-0 2-3-0 3-8-0 380 423 -43 Lost 1

Eagles on top and clinched, Cowboys on the bottom - Life is good.
  • Options
    Ugly loss with a capital U.

But no surprise coming off the big emotional win against the Giants last week. Actually might be a blessing in disguise for the Eagles. They wrapped up the 3rd seed and can't move up or down with this loss, so the next game is meaningless. Almost like getting a bye week. Andy Reid had better rest the starters in this upcoming game, and I believe he will.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    >>>Eagles on top and clinched, Cowboys on the bottom - Life is good. <<<

The only problem is that it is like Haley's Comet.........only happens once every 75 years!image

You will never see it again in your lifetime!image
  • Options

<< <i>Ugly loss with a capital U.

But no surprise coming off the big emotional win against the Giants last week. Actually might be a blessing in disguise for the Eagles. They wrapped up the 3rd seed and can't move up or down with this loss, so the next game is meaningless. Almost like getting a bye week. Andy Reid had better rest the starters in this upcoming game, and I believe he will. >>

"no surprise"? Are you kidding me? A game in late December that could have led to a possible bye week and a home game. Good teams do not lose games like this if they want to go on to win a Super Bowl.
  • Options

<< <i>

But no surprise coming off the big emotional win against the Giants last week. Actually might be a blessing in disguise for the Eagles. They wrapped up the 3rd seed and can't move up or down with this loss, so the next game is meaningless. Almost like getting a bye week. Andy Reid had better rest the starters in this upcoming game, and I believe he will. >>

"no surprise"? Are you kidding me? A game in late December that could have led to a possible bye week and a home game. Good teams do not lose games like this if they want to go on to win a Super Bowl. >>

NFL teams "bounce" off big emotional wins and schedule circumstances all the time. Such as "sandwich" games in between two big games. This game had three emotional aspects working against the Eagles - last week's amazing come from behind win, against a strong division rival for the NFC East lead, and the Eagles had already clinched the NFC East and a playoff spot with the Giants loss on Sunday. The Eagles will have their "bye game" coming up, rest their starters, and then go on to look real good in the playoffs.
  • Options

<< <i>>>>Eagles on top and clinched, Cowboys on the bottom - Life is good. <<<

The only problem is that it is like Haley's Comet.........only happens once every 75 years!image

You will never see it again in your lifetime!image >>

With my luck, I'll probably "kick off" the day before the Eagles finally win a Super Bowl. LOL

But just to be cautious, the day before...I'm not gonna drive, not gonna walk up or down any stairs, not gonna eat any foods with bones, not gonna shower in the bath tub, not gonna do almost anything, and have plenty of nitroglycerin pills on hand, just to make sure I hang around long enough to see that win. LOL
  • Options

<< <i>

"no surprise"? Are you kidding me? A game in late December that could have led to a possible bye week and a home game. Good teams do not lose games like this if they want to go on to win a Super Bowl. >>

Correct.

The problems with the o-line and lack of effective tackling by the defense has plagued them all year.

Although it's a big play offense they fall flat at times and blow opportunities to take the lead when necessary. While the comeback in the Giants game was great, they did fail to score easily in 3 1/2 quarters, extending that last night by another 4 quarters.

It's one and done if they don't play better.

Run the ball, run the ball, run the ball. 43 passes last night and 22 runs, 8 of those by Vick. Not balanced enough to keep the opposing D guessing and makes for a bad offensive effort when the QB is off target all night. Let Vick hand off more and get into a rhythm, then sting 'em with a sharp pass.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

NFL teams "bounce" off big emotional wins and schedule circumstances all the time. Such as "sandwich" games in between two big games. This game had three emotional aspects working against the Eagles - last week's amazing come from behind win, against a strong division rival for the NFC East lead, and the Eagles had already clinched the NFC East and a playoff spot with the Giants loss on Sunday. The Eagles will have their "bye game" coming up, rest their starters, and then go on to look real good in the playoffs. >>

There was too much at stake for a let down. The Eagles had a chance for a bye week in the playoffs and that is huge. If you only have to play two games instead of three is alot to play for. Also, they could have had a home game before the NFC Championship game, now they will have to play on the road outside of the Wild Card game.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

NFL teams "bounce" off big emotional wins and schedule circumstances all the time. Such as "sandwich" games in between two big games. This game had three emotional aspects working against the Eagles - last week's amazing come from behind win, against a strong division rival for the NFC East lead, and the Eagles had already clinched the NFC East and a playoff spot with the Giants loss on Sunday. The Eagles will have their "bye game" coming up, rest their starters, and then go on to look real good in the playoffs. >>

There was too much at stake for a let down. The Eagles had a chance for a bye week in the playoffs and that is huge. If you only have to play two games instead of three is alot to play for. Also, they could have had a home game before the NFC Championship game, now they will have to play on the road outside of the Wild Card game. >>

I'm not sure why, but if ya check the history of the NFL going back to when playoff bye weeks were initiated, you'll find teams can often lose these seemingly "must win" games when playing for a bye week - for whatever reason the players don't seem to get highly motivated for this...the players must not see it the way the fans see it.
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Run the ball, run the ball, run the ball. 43 passes last night and 22 runs, 8 of those by Vick. Not balanced enough to keep the opposing D guessing and makes for a bad offensive effort when the QB is off target all night. Let Vick hand off more and get into a rhythm, then sting 'em with a sharp pass. >>

MIN had nothing to play for and constantly blitzed, PHI never could adjust. McCoy was smothered all night and Vick over-threw (or WRs under-ran routes) wide open receivers on blitzes.

On the bright side, I guaranteed at least a #2 pick for our FF playoff draft, thanks to everyone else (including myself) losing.

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    I'm not sure why, but if ya check the history of the NFL going back to when playoff bye weeks were initiated, you'll find teams can often lose these seemingly "must win" games when playing for a bye week - for whatever reason the players don't seem to get highly motivated for this...the players must not see it the way the fans see it. >>

Maybe you are right, but if I were the Eagles, I would want a team going into the Philly on a very cold blustery January day. Especially a team that plays in a dome or in the nice weather.
  • Options
    My heart sank when it became apparent that my Eagles were going to lose yesterday.

But then Cris Collinsworth (NBC announcer) brought up a point that made me think about some other things that made the loss seem not-so-bad. That is the point of the whole "de facto BYE week" that the Eagles get next weekend (Jan. 2nd) by resting their starters with nothing to play for - a point that others have brought up here.

Additionally, I like the fact that it increases the chances that Kevin Kolb gets playing time. That's because I'm in the minority of Eagles fans (and maybe even NFL fans) that says that I don't want a repeat thug like Michael Vick representing my team. Integrity means more than winning.

Of course, I still wanted the Eagles to win last night, but this loss may not make the Eagles' road considerably tougher. Let's get those starters rested and at 100%! As an aside, I tip my cap to the Vikings' defense and some good decisions by QB Joe Webb.

Fans often want to look ahead to "the next thing" and what is newer, better, speculated, or expected. Well why not remember this? The Eagles are NFC East Champions.
  • Options
    Two questions:

How do you think the Eagles' current Defensive Backs rate against the rest of the league?
    A) Better than average.
    B) Average.
    C) Worse than average.

How does Asante Samuel rank against the rest of the league's corners?
    A) Better than average.
    B) Average.
    C) Worse than average.

The Eagles starting secondary for the Playoffs appears to be:

LCB: Asante Samuel
    SS: Quintin Mikell
    FS: Kurt Coleman
    RCB: Dimitri Patterson

There are key injuries to:

Safety: Nate Allen
    CB: Ellis Hobbs
    CB: Marlin Jackson
    I don't think these three guys are going to be available for the Playoffs.

Personally, though Asante often appears as a subpar cover man, he compensates for this with many interceptions. That net gain only makes him a little better than an average Cornerback. For as much as the Eagles pay 5-foot-9-inch Asante, they could have gotten more bang for their buck elsewhere. Kurt Coleman has looked remarkably good at times.
  • Options
    I thought that I might not get any responses to this. I wanted to give it a few days and see whether I would or not. People's sports discussions correlate with a few trends: offense rather than defense, and scandal or controversy rather than on-the-field performance.

More are probably interested in Rex Ryan foot fetishes than watching well-conditioned athletic cornerbacks make plays. It isn't surprising at all.

Go Eagles!
  • Options

<< <i>I thought that I might not get any responses to this. I wanted to give it a few days and see whether I would or not. People's sports discussions correlate with a few trends: offense rather than defense, and scandal or controversy rather than on-the-field performance.

More are probably interested in Rex Ryan foot fetishes than watching well-conditioned athletic cornerbacks make plays. It isn't surprising at all.

Go Eagles! >>

I think the Eagles handle the Pack without too much trouble. Eagles win by at least 6 points in second gear most of the game, and go into third gear using just enough gas needed to win the game. No problem.

The Falcons are the only team that really worries me in the NFC.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

• Options
    Congrats to the Packers and their good fans.
  • Options
    Congrats to the Packers and their good fans.

Don't take it too hard, Steve...only a couple of months till pitchers & catchers..image