Home U.S. Coin Forum

Italian military medals from WWI

These medals were given to me by my Dad. I just came across them while cleaning up my "mess" in anticpation of the guests for Thanskgiving dinner. I believe they belonged to his father. Certainly great pieces of family history.

Comments

• MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Certainly great pieces of family history. >>

Yes, I agree. Very cool.
  • First pic is a Commemorative Medal of the Austrian-Italian war 1915-1918 was a medal awarded by the Kingdom of Italy to all who had participated in the first world war.
    The particularity of this Medal, evident in written on the back that mentions "minted in bronze enemy", is that the founding Decree stipulated that should have been "merged with bronze of artillery removed from the enemy". Actually they were made with the merger of cannons ripped from austrians during World War I.

Second pic is a silver Commemorative Medal of the Italian-Turkish war of 1911-1912 was a medal awarded by the Kingdom of Italy to all who had participated in the Italo-Turkish war.

Certainly something to be proud -

MT
  • LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,710 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For some reason, Italian war medals almost seem like an oxymoron.

I seem to remember a joke about the Italian soldiers tossing dynamite, and the opposing army lighting it and tossing it back!
  • ram1946ram1946 Posts: 762 ✭✭
    MAT1 - Thanks for the attributions.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice medals.... Cheers, RickO
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,934 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>For some reason, Italian war medals almost seem like an oxymoron.

I seem to remember a joke about the Italian soldiers tossing dynamite, and the opposing army lighting it and tossing it back! >>

Was it really necessary to slam ram1946's grandfather?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• << <i>

I seem to remember a joke about the Italian soldiers tossing dynamite, and the opposing army lighting it and tossing it back! >>

Was it really necessary to slam ram1946's grandfather? >>

Show some respect for someone that fought two wars - so that even you today has the right to freedom of opinion and expression.
    MT
  • CiccioCiccio Posts: 1,405

Do you want to know some of our jokes about americans with moustache?! image
    Don't forget that the Romans were italians too...

Cool medals ram1946! image

I am not an expert, all I can tell you is that the initials under the bay leaves on the first medals stand for Stefano Johnson, a refinery.
    For the second medal, I found the royal decree (Decreto Regio)
    They are not rare or high value medals but I am sure you don't want to sell them! Family history is priceless!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file