Home Precious Metals
Options

A C*R*A*Z*Y Coin Story

A C*R*A*Z*Y little future story on collectors

The year is 2020, and the US economy has collapsed. Many people have received a letter from the government saying they are unable to pay all expenditures and they have to issue IOU's into the foreseeable future until things turn around. People are protesting and rioting daily, most store shelves are bare, and what little things are available are sold on the black market. The value of the dollar has collapsed, scattered homes and offices have been burned down or ransacked, but many people still have to try and survive.

So on one street corner in a large city there happens to be three former collectors, two coin collectors and a currency collector.

The first guy, the currency collector, is trying to hawk a 1995 $1 bill that he paid $400 for. He is saying "Here is an awesome one dollar bill I paid $400 for, it is a crisp double error bill with an inverted third print. It is really rare and great for your collection or as a gift, I will trade it for only 1 loaf of bread, anyone interested??" All of the people on the street and sidewalk just keep walking by in their daze, as if they don't even hear him.

The next guy has a Presidential dollar he bought many years back for $450 off of Ebay, it is a George Washington Smoothie. " Hey everyone I have an awesome coin, much better than worthless paper bills, it is an official Washington Dollar coin that the government forgot to put the edge lettering on, it is an MS66 coin that only has about 100 higher graded examples on the planet. I will also trade it for just 1 loaf of bread, please anyone????" And the people just keep walking by not even hearing him and stepping over him.

The last guy, after seeing the bad luck of the other two, tries anyways with a small coin that he brought. " Hey everyone, here is the worst coin from my collection but I have to try and get rid of it for something, it only cost me $60 but it is a scratched up 2004 1/10 ounce gold eagle coin and I will take a...." and suddenly all these people that looked like zombies before run up and tackle the guy, they start fighting over this tiny little gold coin like there is no tomorrow. People are screaming " I will give you 20 loafs of bread for the gold", some are screaming 40 loafs, one screams $20,000 in US Dollars for the coin. Beautiful women are promising things, the whole mob goes crazy. Unfortunately in all the mayhem the collector gets trampled and the coin is missing, and nobody knows who has the coin now.

PS Just something to think about.image

Comments

• Options
    I thought this was suppose to happen in 2012 ....image
  • Options
    gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    "Beautiful women are promising things" they been doing this since beginning of time as long as you have the GOLDimage

As soon as you run otta the gold you run outta the "Beautiful women are promising things" speaking from experience~JMOimage
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,639 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think im goona stockpile yeast, so I can make bread.image
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,356 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If people are starving even gold isn't going to have much value.

Social order would break down entirely if the corn isn't being planted and harvested. The factories
    have to turn this raw plant material into the food we all recognize and love. Without money none
    of this can occur. The seed crops are eaten (with Monsanto's approval) and a few stragglers are
    left after years of chaos to start all over or be overrun by outsiders who survived better than we.

Sure there are scenarios that could play out where things are very bad and gold can save you but
    don't expect to be the only one eating because you have gold and most people don't. It just can't
    play out this way.

It's safer to figure the worst that can happen is an inflationary depression. Starvation is political
    suicide. Gold could be an highly advantageous asset but all the gold in Ft Knox probably couldn't
    feed one man if things collapsed. The bankers and politicos would abscond with most of the gold
    almost immediately anyway.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    perhaps it could be slightly tweaked were all currency becomes worthless and businesses only take gold and silver as payment.

Those with gold and silver will be able to buy anything they want.
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    zrlevinzrlevin Posts: 734 ✭✭✭
    In this situation, why would gold and silver have any more value than the worthless paper money?
    Zach
  • Options
    I saw that happen at a coin show last year. image
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    History teaches us many things. One of which is that precious metals are an advantage over
    almost any other physical item.

The only people to get out of Vietnam at the end of the war were those that bought their
    way out with gold. All others were left behind no matter their status or position in gov't
    or society.

Everyone should have some gold.

bob
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,356 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>perhaps it could be slightly tweaked were all currency becomes worthless and businesses only take gold and silver as payment.

Those with gold and silver will be able to buy anything they want. >>

Business can't run without money. How does the phone company even get their bills
    out with no more postage stamps? How do customers pay them? Nothing can operate
    without money. If the currency collapsed the government would issue a new currency.

Sure they could reinstate the old currency at 1000 times its face value but then yuu
    could tape a few wheaties to an envelope to pay your phone bill.

It's just not realistic to imagine a madmax world with billions of people starving and any-
    one wanting gold for anything. Anyone already eating might want gold but the exchange
    rate might be 1 loaf of bread = 1 ounce gold.

If money breaks down so does everything else and this includes peoples' perception of
    the value of gold.

There is no alternative to keeping modeern machinery running and if this becomes impos-
    sible due to gross mismanagement or any other cause then the planet simply won't sup-
    port seven billion people and the population will crash. Such events can be localized but
    ask yourself how likely it is for only the US to experience such a crisis. Many countries are
    dependent on us, our markets, or our products.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    all these people ... run up and tackle the guy ... the whole mob goes crazy ... the collector gets trampled ... and the coin is missing

yeah, that's something to think about.

it's really funny that some people think that in SHTF scenario, there's bread to be bought, but only with gold.

if "the economy" really were to "collapse", we're about 2 weeks away from "night of the living dead" and there aint no "Beautiful women are promising things", just hunters and prey.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    aj2525raj2525r Posts: 120 ✭✭
    Hello,

I'm not sure who's quote this is but I'm convinced it applies

"No country, no matter how rich or how prosperous is more than three meals away from revolution."

i.e. If you missed your past three meals and had no idea where your next meal was coming from you would resort to any means available to get food.

Anyone who really thinks society will break down is buying up some land and stocking it with the means to grow food. I'd also speculate that the smarter ones are hiding it as best they can. Plus with the variety of alternative electricity production items now available, some people can still have a pretty modern existence hidden off in some valley in the SW U.S.

If society really does break down, I cannot see why copper cents wouldn't be just as useful for trade as any other metal.

"I'll trade some drinkable water for a chicken...."
    I still call my accumulation my collection!
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    With a breakdown in society your loaf of broad will only last you as long as you have bullets to fire. The next guy who has more bullets will end up with the bread. Not a scenario worth discussing as there will be very few winners.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    calleochocalleocho Posts: 1,569 ✭✭
    I recently saw the movie" The Road"...I have decided that in a true armageddon style world ...i would rather be killed in the first wave.
    "Women should be obscene and not heard. "
    Groucho Marx
  • Options

<< <i>I think im goona stockpile yeast, so I can make bread.image >>

I stockpile yeast to make beer. image