Home Sports Talk
Options

Is Michael Vick the Most Valuable Player in the league right now?

stevekstevek Posts: 27,760 ✭✭✭✭✭
Is Michael Vick the Most Valuable Player in the league right now?

The correct answer is "Yes"

Comments

• Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All this seems too good to be true, like Bo Jackson's monster baseball season.

I am now waiting for the "torn ACL", "DUI", "gun in the locker" or "kilo of pot in the car trunk" story any day now.
  • Options

<< <i>All this seems too good to be true, like Bo Jackson's monster baseball season.

I am now waiting for the "torn ACL", "DUI", "gun in the locker" or "kilo of pot in the car trunk" story any day now. >>

Come on now...that wouldn't make for a good ending for a true story Hollywood movie, "The Fall and Rise of Michael Vick" with the ending being real film footage of the Super Bowl victory parade in Philadelphia.

• Options
    dantheman984dantheman984 Posts: 861 ✭✭✭
    I think Vick looks real good right now. I predict with all the running he does he will be hurt again. Should be a great game against the Giants!
  • Options

<< <i>I think Vick looks real good right now. I predict with all the running he does he will be hurt again. Should be a great game against the Giants! >>

Could happen...he just needs to, of course, learn not to try to take on linebackers. Perhaps the early season injury might help him to try to avoid that.

I don't know what his 40 yard time is now versus his Atlanta playing days, he's probably a touch slower in that regard...but his agility now seems better than it was back then, and his passing accuracy and reads are definitely much, MUCH better than his Atlanta days...and of course there were times back then, even despite his faults back then, that he still received high accolades by many for his quarterback skills. With those "faults" corrected by being coached up, as well as his new found determination and motivation, he has turned into quite a scary football player for defenses to try to stop.
  • Options
    I think it's premature right now. He's coming off a monster game where he was responsible for 6 TDs. However, if he throws 4 picks in his next game, people will quickly jump off the bandwagon. He's good so far, but the season is far from done.
  • Options
    Bottom9thBottom9th Posts: 2,695 ✭✭
    He's the MVP of my Fantasy Team....does that count?
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The game vs the Giants will be a true and tougher test..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭
    Vick would be better served if he just knew how to slide.
  • Options

<< <i>The game vs the Giants will be a true and tougher test.. >>

I would agree with that...if a player wants to be an MVP, then they have to prove it in a big upcoming game like this.

I don't particularly like this game for the Eagles...Giants come off an "embarrassing" loss to a 1 - 7 team, and the Eagles come off a game with a huge margin of victory. The Giants are a good football team and good football teams usually rebound and play better the next week after a bad loss. I just hope the Eagles don't get too full of themselves over the last game, albeit a very nice win, but it was still only one win. So I agree with ya, it will be an interesting test for Vick, as well as both teams, to really see where they are both at right now - lot of possible playoff implications involved in this game.
  • Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,922 ✭✭✭✭
    I guess we'd have to change the name to Most Violent (to dogs) Player image
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    VikingDudeVikingDude Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭
    As of this moment, yes. Just like a lot of things in the NFL, it could change at any time.
  • Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The game vs the Giants will be a true and tougher test.. >>

If Kitna can pick apart the secondary...

I hate to see what Vick is gonna do...

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options
    jivanjivan Posts: 1,009

<< <i>

<< <i>All this seems too good to be true, like Bo Jackson's monster baseball season.

I am now waiting for the "torn ACL", "DUI", "gun in the locker" or "kilo of pot in the car trunk" story any day now. >>

Come on now...that wouldn't make for a good ending for a true story Hollywood movie, "The Fall and Rise of Michael Vick" with the ending being real film footage of the Super Bowl victory parade in Philadelphia.

image >>

same victory parade the phillies had in 2010 ??
    always looking for 1969 graded basketball
  • Options
    I think it would go to Brady at the half way mark.
  • Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I think it would go to Brady at the half way mark. >>

I'd give it to Manning or Matt Ryan before 'ol Tom this year.
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭
    Right now? Yes. His stats are flawless on a winning team. No interceptions. Let's see if he keeps this up.
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    If he keeps refusing to throw the ball away when the plays break down he won't be getting up off the turf too soon. His cards will be about as vaulable as Randal Cunningham. He will look brilliant in flashes and end up getting hurt. He looked terrible at throws under 20 yards. His receivers also didn't help him out either.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    Not by a long shot...at least not yet!
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The game vs the Giants will be a true and tougher test.. >>

Obviously, not as much as what you thought.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭

<< <i> The game vs the Giants will be a true and tougher test.. >>

Obviously, not as much as what you thought. >>

You are right...Vick now must catch for his receivers...obviously you didnt watch the whole game...

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options
    I don`t know if you guys listen to Local radio here in Philly/South Jersey area but I agree with Colin Cowherd on the topic of Mike Vick. He laughs when Vick is mentioned in the same sentence with the Manning brothers, Brady, Big Ben...... Let him play a full season and then make a judgment on how great or not how great Vick is. In my opinion, I think the Giants got to Vick. Eagle fans can thank McCoy for that win! He is great!
  • Options

<< <i>

I'd give it to Manning or Matt Ryan before 'ol Tom this year. >>

He is coming on strong
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

He is coming on strong >>

He had a great game, IMO, the MVP race is far from over.
    If Matt Ryan beats GB at home this week, I'd put him at #1 in the MVP race. that guy is good.
    John
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options

<< <i>Is Michael Vick the Most Valuable Player in the league right now?

The correct answer is "Yes" >>

The correct answer is NO
  • Options
    mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

He is coming on strong >>

He had a great game, IMO, the MVP race is far from over.
    If Matt Ryan beats GB at home this week, I'd put him at #1 in the MVP race. that guy is good.
    John >>

I hate to incite thread drift, but I can't help myself since you've mentioned Matty Ice. I'm an Atlanta guy and love all things sports related from that city, including the Falcons. But don't let the Falcons record lead you to believe that Ryan is on the same level as Manning or Brady. The Falcons run a much more balanced offense than either the Colts or the Pats, which limits how much the team really relies on him. No doubt that Matty has proven he can orchestrate a 4th quarter comeback. He's done it several times and is as cool as they come under pressure, hence the nickname. BUT, I have some serious doubts that Ryan could run the Colts' pass happy offense as well as Manning or the Pats offense as well as Brady. Matty isn't asked to do as much as those guys and the Falcons, in my opinion, have a much better running attack to fall back on than the Colts or Pats.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • Options
    I agree with McAdams about Matt Ryan. I've seen the Falcons a lot, and even Derek Anderson would look good handing off to Turner and Snelling. As far as Vick goes, it has to be over the course of a full season. He's had a stretch of a few great games. Haven't we seen that in the past from other quarterbacks? Didn't Derek Anderson have a stretch of games in 2007 that Peyton Manning would be proud of? And, as I recall, the Eagles knocked off the 9-2 Falcons WITHOUT Vick. The MVP is at least nominally based on value to the team. My guess is that the Eagles would have roughly the same record with Kevin Kolb as they have with Vick. My vote would be for a guy that is leading the number one offense in football to a 9-2 mark with such offensive juggernauts as Benjarvus Green-Ellis, Danny Woodhead, and Deion Branch as key guys. No Randy Moss? No problem. Gotta give it to Tom Brady for MVP so far.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options

<< <i>I agree with McAdams about Matt Ryan. I've seen the Falcons a lot, and even Derek Anderson would look good handing off to Turner and Snelling. As far as Vick goes, it has to be over the course of a full season. He's had a stretch of a few great games. Haven't we seen that in the past from other quarterbacks? Didn't Derek Anderson have a stretch of games in 2007 that Peyton Manning would be proud of? And, as I recall, the Eagles knocked off the 9-2 Falcons WITHOUT Vick. The MVP is at least nominally based on value to the team. My guess is that the Eagles would have roughly the same record with Kevin Kolb as they have with Vick. My vote would be for a guy that is leading the number one offense in football to a 9-2 mark with such offensive juggernauts as Benjarvus Green-Ellis, Danny Woodhead, and Deion Branch as key guys. No Randy Moss? No problem. Gotta give it to Tom Brady for MVP so far. >>

IMO, we should not downgrade a player for playing on a good team with talent all around him.

A player with a nice supporting cast could still deserve MVP, and rightly so.

Pats just keep winning, Brady is looking more and more like the MVP every week.

What if the Jets win that division? Sanchez?
    How bout Aaron Rodgers, he is very good as well.

John
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options
    If the Jets and Pats switched QB's, the Jets would be nearly unbeatable and the Pats would be just ok. So I throw Sanchez out of the mix. Ryan is a solid QB. No doubt about it. Just not an MVP quarterback. I don't downplay a player for playing on a great team. I actually think it helps you win the award. But, when you are the QB on the team with the best record in football, AND you have skill position players that are really nothing special, well, you've proven to me that you are the MVP. That person is Tom Brady. If Peyton Manning were to have the Colts at 9-2 with the injuries they have suffered, I would give it to him. But he does not. Brees has the Saints at 8-3 with a backfield of Chris Ivory and Julius Jones. But his interceptions are just too many to give it to him so far. And with Vick, he has missed some games, and that counts in the equation. If he lasts through the end of the season, perhaps my opinion will change.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options
    mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭
    Are we really talking about Sanchez on an MVP thread? Is this bizarro week at PSA?
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • Options
    Brady has taken over the MVP race.
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    Most here know how I felt about Vick. Thought he was scum of the scum, a d-bag that aspiring d-bags should follow, and hoped for his rear to be pounded until he cried uncle.

After watching his MNF interview, my perception of him changed. Rather than giving the required lip service to appease the NFL, his eyes and words showed true remorse. I honestly believe he's turned his life around and intends to take a better path into the future. It's not that he only acknowledged previous mistakes but he's actually learned from them.

While I still think about the poor dogs he viciously and maliciously killed, I firmly believe he's taken responsibility for actions and continues to do so. Bring some good out of a terrible situation that he put onto himself and no longer looks to pass the blame. I know it doesn't matter in the whole scheme of things but I've forgiven him, though have not forgotten.

Everyone makes mistakes, some worse than others, but it takes a real person to try and better others from those mistakes.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    Michael Vick leads NFL in Pro Bowl voting
    4 hours, 29 minutes ago

PHILADELPHIA (AP)—Michael Vick(notes) leads Pro Bowl voting 11/2 years after he was released from prison.

The Philadelphia Eagles quarterback had 729,838 fan votes, nearly 39,000 more than second-place Peyton Manning(notes), the NFL said Wednesday. Manning topped the balloting two weeks ago.

“I think it’s just a credit to everything I’ve tried to accomplish on and off the field, just working as hard as I can to change things around, be a part of the solution and not the problem,” Vick said. “I changed my life and it just goes to show anybody can do it. It’s an unfortunate situation, the things that happened, I wish I could go back and change it all. I wish I could take it all back. The only thing I can do is move forward.”

It’s the latest evidence many fans seem willing to forgive Vick for the vicious dogfighting operation that sent him to prison for 18 months—and embrace his stunning return to NFL stardom. A backup to start the season, Vick has led the Eagles to first place in the NFC East, accounting for 21 touchdowns and throwing just two interceptions.

“I appreciate my fans, man,” Vick said. “Couldn’t do it without them. Been very supportive over the last three years. What more can you ask for?”

Manning had 691,146 votes, which led the AFC, followed by New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady(notes) (623,074), Minnesota Vikings running back Adrian Peterson (591,598) and Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers(notes) (547,340).

Online Pro Bowl voting ends Dec. 20. The teams are picked by a vote combination from fans, players and coaches.

Vick, a three-time Pro Bowler with the Atlanta Falcons, pleaded guilty to federal dogfighting charges in August 2007. He was released from federal custody and conditionally reinstated by NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell in July 2009. But it wasn’t clear how much interest teams would have in the quarterback who once wowed fans with his unique skills, yet frustrated them with his inconsistency when he last played in the league in 2006.

The Eagles signed him before last season, when he was the third-string quarterback and had limited playing time as a change of pace. Even after Philadelphia traded away Donovan McNabb(notes), Vick was expected to back up Kevin Kolb(notes). But when Kolb was hurt in the opener, Vick took over and showed a newfound maturity as a passer. Added to his running skills, he’s made the Eagles a contender at 8-4.

The Eagles, averaging 28.7 points per game, are the second-highest scoring team in the league, next to only the New England Patriots at 31.6.

“It’s a great honor, a great position to be in right now, because I haven’t made the Pro Bowl yet, but it’s a credit to my coaches, a credit to my teammates, (backups) Mike Kafka(notes), Kevin Kolb, guys who just helped me get through this season,” Vick said. “I can’t do it without my team, I can’t do it without my teammates, I can’t do it without the offensive line, (wide receivers) DeSean (Jackson) and Jeremy (Maclin), can’t do it without them. I’m just thankful to have these guys in my life, these coaches in my life.”

Philadelphia plays at Dallas (4-8) on Sunday.

• Options
    What does that have to do with MVP voting?
  • Options
    When I first posted, I clearly stated "right now"...not that Vick was gonna win THE MVP award for the season.

But now he actually might have a little shot at THE MVP award, although still a longshot, especially since he missed some games earlier in the season.

In any event, for sure, he will be up there in the voting.
  • Options
    brady is the clear MVP and it isnt even close. And I hate the Pats lol.
  • Options

<< <i>brady is the clear MVP and it isnt even close. And I hate the Pats lol. >>

You're likely right but the voting just got closer today.
  • Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭
    With that performance the voting got alot closer. On the road and 4 straight TD's....amazing runs on third and long at the end of the game. I hate his guts and he's an amazing player very worthy of the MVP. He's played less than 11 games and his total numbers are awesome. What he has meant to the Eagles is beyond measure. What he is accomplishing on the field from an athletic standpoint has never been done before...unless you consider the dominance of the Jim Brown days. He may be running better than he ever has and his decision making has been almost flawless. I can not believe that this could even be happening...let alone I'm writing about it. Eagles fans should be smiling from ear to ear tonight. Hard to imagine a player more valuable to his team. When Brady was injured, I believe Matt Casell led them to 11 wins.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>brady is the clear MVP and it isnt even close. And I hate the Pats lol. >>

You're likely right but the voting just got closer today. >>

And getting closer. Brady not looking his best tonight.
  • Options
    I think the most impressive quality about Vick right now is how much better of a QB he is since he was out of football. He does not make the same mistakes when he was with the Falcons and protects the football much better.
  • Options

<< <i>I think the most impressive quality about Vick right now is how much better of a QB he is since he was out of football. He does not make the same mistakes when he was with the Falcons and protects the football much better. >>

Some may not realize this but Andy Reid was the quarterbacks coach for a Super Bowl winning Green Bay team before he became head coach of the Eagles. Brett Favre has stated before that Reid definitely helped in his development and success at quarterback.

If Vick was willing to work and learn, and that was the big "if" coming in, then it should be no surprise that Vick has developed into an MVP type player. It's still too early, but Andy Reid is building a resume to possibly one day be a Hall of Fame coach.
  • Options

<< <i> but Andy Reid is building a resume to possibly one day be a Hall of Fame coach. >>

That was a big homer statement. Zero chance he even gets condiseration without at least one ring.