Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Best Card Show East Coast

I moved to NYC after a 10 year absence and will be shipping my cards here from LA. Going out next week to personally supervise. Was curious what people thought of the card shows on the east coast. I have a very eclectic collection (basketball, football, golf, baseball) and others. Concentrated in what I like as well as what I had as a kid. Mostly early 70's with large quantities of 72 FB, 75 FB, 76FB, and 72-76BB.

My question is I would like to jump to the other side and get a dealer table. I have been disappointed outside the nationals. I have been to Hollywood Park on the West Coast and White Plains on the East Coast. I want to do maybe no more than 3-4 shows, but also would like to start buying.

Have been a long time collector and would like to get in the middle a bit more. Potentially setting myself up to buy.

Can someone with more knowledge tell me the best shows to go to in early 2011 within driving distance of NYC. Also I have reason to be in Chicago I hear the Sun Times show is worth doing.

Inquiring Minds thanks for your input.

Comments

• Options
    Thanks for your post. However, this is the wrong forum. Try using the "Sports Cards and Memorabilia" forum. Best of luck!
  • Options
    WabittwaxWabittwax Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭
    I don't see anything wrong with using this forum.

As for shows, I think they are much much better on the east coast. That being said, good luck at turning a profit at one. I did shows for about 10 years and I can't even make table anymore when I do decide to do one. My last show I had a lot of T206's, Sport Kings, and other pre war. I literally sold 1 card in 30 hours of show and bought zero cards even considering I had 3 neon "Buying Cards" signs at my table.
  • Options
    BkritzBkritz Posts: 1,093 ✭✭
    The csa show in chantilly VA is pretty good. 4 hours from NYC!
  • Options
    bdbopbdbop Posts: 102 ✭✭
    Not sure what it is like, since Hunt Auctions took it over and the event moved from Fort Washington, but the Philly Show was always a really good one. (www.phillyshow.com)

Bart
  • Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    Philly Show.The New York Area and Pensylvania area usually have a good show or 2 going.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    aconteaconte Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭
    Here is the link to the Philly show.

Since Hunt has taken over there has been a greater emphasis on autographs. As you can see this will have a strong Phillies representation in two weeks.
    I don't see anything wrong with that though!image

Not sure how you would do buying or selling but the show is considered one of the better east coast shows.

Philly Show

Good luck!

aconte
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    East Coast shows have to be better by default. There hasn't been a show in LA in over 2 years, and it's doubtful there will be one again.
    I think the Tacoma Dome show is long gone, and from what I hear the SF shows are nothing like they used to be. That pretty much leaves Mark Macrae's vintage show (think it was yesterday) twice a year. While I hear it's good, it's very small.
    East Coast has the Boston show a few times a year, Philly Show, Chantilly, L.I. show, and the National every few years.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Here is the link to the Philly show.

Since Hunt has taken over there has been a greater emphasis on autographs. As you can see this will have a strong Phillies representation in two weeks.
    I don't see anything wrong with that though!image

Not sure how you would do buying or selling but the show is considered one of the better east coast shows.

Philly Show

Good luck!

aconte >>

When I used to attend the Philly Show when it was in Willow Grove there were only a couple autograph guests however there were some fine drealers and the show was always crowded.It was the finest of the Non National Shows IMO.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    Philly show is good (don't do the Sept as that is usually the weakest of the three). I would recommend the March and Dec shows, but I don't know if Hunt makes you sign up for all three to "get a good spot". A lot of the same dealers are in the same places. If you have mostly mid 70's you would be one with "newer" stuff, so you might make out.

You have your normal guys there BBCE, Bill Henderson, Clean Sweep, 707 Sportscards, Andy Mac, etc...
    Cory
    ----------------------
    Working on:
    Football
    1973 Topps PSA 8+ (99.81%)
    1976 Topps PSA 9+ (36.36%)
    1977 Topps PSA 9+ (100%)

Baseball
    1938 Goudey (56.25%)
    1951 Topps Redbacks PSA 8 (100%)
    1952 Bowman PSA 7+ (63.10%)
    1953 Topps PSA 5+ (91.24%)