Home Sports Talk
Options

Tom Brady: evaluating his "greatness"

2»

Comments

• Options
    Does anyone know when the NFL MVP announcement is expected to take place?

There seems to be a lack of information - almost secrecy - about this.
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

The backup QB's for the Steel Curtain...collectively, they posted as good a record as Bradshaw. They also posted as good as numbers too!

>>

Uh,no they didnt. What other steelers QB won a season MVP? >>

In 1976, Mike Kruczek was 6-0 for the Steelers - Bradshaw was 4-4. Kruczek had a higher passer rating as well.

In 1974, Joe Gilliam & Terry Hanratty were 5-1-1 as starters. Bradshaw was 5-2. Gilliam had a higher passer rating than Bradshaw. Hanratty, perhaps proving that the Steelers could win with ANYBODY at QB, was 2-for-15 with 3 picks in his lone start - and they still won.

In 1973, Gilliam & Hanratty were 2-3 as starters while Bradshaw was 8-1.

In the rest of his seasons, Bradshaw started pretty much every game until 1982, after the Steel Curtain era had ended.

So, yeah, the Steelers backups two out of three years had a better record than Bradshaw - and better numbers, to boot.

Tabe >>

The back-ups won by handing the ball off to Bleier and Harris. Most of those games were before my time but I don't recall any long pass plays completed by the back-ups. Certainly nothing equivalent to what Bradshaw completed. Kruzcek threw less than 100 total passes in his 6 starts and I'd venture to guess most were screen passes. The only pre-1976 Steeler game I've seen aside from playoff games is the 1973 MNF game against the Dolphins where Joe Gilliam started. He stunk and threw like 4 INTs and the Steelers were down by like three TDs when he was yanked from the game. Then Bradshaw came in (he was coming back from an injury) and led them back to almost win the game against the eventual world champs.
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The back-ups won by handing the ball off to Bleier and Harris. Most of those games were before my time but I don't recall any long pass plays completed by the back-ups. Certainly nothing equivalent to what Bradshaw completed. Kruzcek threw less than 100 total passes in his 6 starts and I'd venture to guess most were screen passes. The only pre-1976 Steeler game I've seen aside from playoff games is the 1973 MNF game against the Dolphins where Joe Gilliam started. He stunk and threw like 4 INTs and the Steelers were down by like three TDs when he was yanked from the game. Then Bradshaw came in (he was coming back from an injury) and led them back to almost win the game against the eventual world champs. >>

So...with Bradshaw throwing the ball more often, the Steelers went 4-4. In other words, when they relied on him, they lost half their games. You are right - Kruczek threw only 85 passes and didn't have a single TD pass. Bradshaw had 10 - yet the Steelers went 4-4. So...maybe the key to the Steelers' success really was everything else other than the QB.

Tabe
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

The backup QB's for the Steel Curtain...collectively, they posted as good a record as Bradshaw. They also posted as good as numbers too!

>>

Uh,no they didnt. What other steelers QB won a season MVP? >>

In 1976, Mike Kruczek was 6-0 for the Steelers - Bradshaw was 4-4. Kruczek had a higher passer rating as well.

In 1974, Joe Gilliam & Terry Hanratty were 5-1-1 as starters. Bradshaw was 5-2. Gilliam had a higher passer rating than Bradshaw. Hanratty, perhaps proving that the Steelers could win with ANYBODY at QB, was 2-for-15 with 3 picks in his lone start - and they still won.

In 1973, Gilliam & Hanratty were 2-3 as starters while Bradshaw was 8-1.

In the rest of his seasons, Bradshaw started pretty much every game until 1982, after the Steel Curtain era had ended.

So, yeah, the Steelers backups two out of three years had a better record than Bradshaw - and better numbers, to boot.

Tabe >>

The back-ups won by handing the ball off to Bleier and Harris. Most of those games were before my time but I don't recall any long pass plays completed by the back-ups. Certainly nothing equivalent to what Bradshaw completed. Kruzcek threw less than 100 total passes in his 6 starts and I'd venture to guess most were screen passes. The only pre-1976 Steeler game I've seen aside from playoff games is the 1973 MNF game against the Dolphins where Joe Gilliam started. He stunk and threw like 4 INTs and the Steelers were down by like three TDs when he was yanked from the game. Then Bradshaw came in (he was coming back from an injury) and led them back to almost win the game against the eventual world champs. >>

Agreed.
  • Options
    Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Does anyone know when the NFL MVP announcement is expected to take place?

There seems to be a lack of information - almost secrecy - about this. >>

This has actually announced a few times - 6 Feb.
  • Options
    zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    Tom Brady is dreamy
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ...and still hasn't won a Super Bowl since Spygate..image

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.