Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Are Franklins the next coin due for a "marketed runup"?

MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
After sleeping for quite a while, I see a significant uptick in posts about Franklins. What's amiss? Are Franklins the next coin due for a marketing program causing a runup in pricing? Is the Tomaska book going to have that effect?

Just wondering...Mike (who would love to unload his Franklins into a stronger market)
Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.

Comments

• Options
    I don't think so, I think demand might slow down do to the price of silver making it less and less the one set "anybody can do"
  • Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    R U kidding me?

Franklins going up... who ever heard of such a thing?

My best guess is that they will continue to trend downward.
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Franklins are to half dollars as Shields are to nickels. Collectors just don't love them and even a book probably won't help that much.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No way I finished the set years ago been on a steady decline in value since then. It was actually my first registry set completed. And I still have a few of the one left from my RAW set before that.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whatever is doing well in this market has some rarity behind it. Beyond something like a 1953-S for full bell lines, you don't have rarity when it comes to Franklins. And sadly the smaller collectors who might be interested in Franklins are getting killed by the economy.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    According to some, they've been the next coin due for runup for several years now. Any day.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Apropos of the coin posse/aka caca: "The longer he spoke of his honor, the tighter I held to my purse."

• Options
    Collectors just don't love them

collectors have made the Franklin Half PCGS Registry one of the most popular and loved series out there .........

and yes, they are long overdue for a significant price run up

but that would take the combined efforts of the serious , respected promoters of these coins

and the one or two I'm thinking of are not well respected .

Only the most colorful and eye appealing examples bring any kind of premium over the PCGS Price guide ;

the other 94 % of them trade at fractions of their guide prices .

In order for a run up , there must be a real two way market for all Franklins ........that just isn't the case in today's market
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They will start their run up right after generic 64-65 classic commems start theirs.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    PCcoinsPCcoins Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Collectors just don't love them

collectors have made the Franklin Half PCGS Registry one of the most popular and loved series out there .........

but that would take the combined efforts of the serious , respected promoters of these coins

Only the most colorful and eye appealing examples bring any kind of premium over the PCGS Price guide ;

In order for a run up , there must be a real two way market for all Franklins ........that just isn't the case in today's market >>

+1

Pawpaul would know, as he puts blood, sweet, and tears into this series.

But I would say no, they aren't showing any signs of life, besides the top 5% of colorful examples that are rarely made available to collectors.
    "It is what it is."
  • Options

<< <i>Collectors just don't love them

In order for a run up , there must be a real two way market for all Franklins ........that just isn't the case in today's market >>

Some one lives is "fansty land" ! image Bald headed guys image

Just kidding, collect what you like! image
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>After sleeping for quite a while, I see a significant uptick in posts about Franklins. What's amiss? Are Franklins the next coin due for a marketing program causing a runup in pricing? Is the Tomaska book going to have that effect?

Just wondering...Mike (who would love to unload his Franklins into a stronger market) >>

Answer: PawPaul has had significant time on his hands recently?
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    i kinda like the prices here. Its a buyers market
  • Options
    ecichlidecichlid Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭
    Here is my unprofessional opinion:

In general, Franklins, even in top grade, are not what investors are looking for. For example, go to Legend Numismatics, see how many Franklins are posted - none. Therefore, you can't expect them to have much of a price surge in tough economic times. A book can spur interest and we may see things pick up. I don't think any marketing program is going to make things change.
    There is no "AT" or "NT". We only have "market acceptable" or "not market acceptable.
  • Options
    Tdec1000Tdec1000 Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭

<< <i>i kinda like the prices here. Its a buyers market >>

I agree with you!! And that 60d half auction was crazy!!! Buyer probably thought it would go 66 fbl
    Awarded the coveted "You Suck" Award on 22 Oct 2010 for finding a 1942/1 D Dime in silver, and on 7 Feb 2011 Cherrypicking a 1914 MPL Cent on Ebay!

Successful BST Transactions!SIconbuster, Meltdown, Mission16, slothman2000, RGjohn, braddick, au58lover, allcoinsrule, commemdude, gerard, lablade, PCcoins, greencopper, kaz, tydye, cucamongacoin, mkman123, SeaEaglecoins, Doh!, AnkurJ, Airplanenut, ArizonaJack, JJM,Tee135,LordMarcovan, Swampboy, piecesofme, Ahrensdad,
  • Options

<< <i>After sleeping for quite a while, I see a significant uptick in posts about Franklins. What's amiss? Are Franklins the next coin due for a marketing program causing a runup in pricing? Is the Tomaska book going to have that effect?

Just wondering...Mike (who would love to unload his Franklins into a stronger market) >>

image Lets hope so!
  • Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a soft spot for ol' Ben. The first all silver set I completed.
    To hold a old Ben reminds me of a great period of American growth.
    Hopefully to be repeated!image
    email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know that 54 Rainbow toned gems are coming back strong
    LCoopie = Les
  • Options

<< <i>

Answer: PawPaul has had significant time on his hands recently? >>

............... ahhh...... dang ..........., busted by Tom B ...............image
  • Options
    Yes. Franklins are the next series due for a "market rumpup".
    "Wars are really ugly! They're dirty
    and they're cold.
    I don't want nobody to shoot me in the foxhole."
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • Options

<< <i>I know that 54 Rainbow toned gems are coming back strong >>

what in tar nation is into you guy's ? my ribs are startin' to hurt from all the poking image
  • Options
    Too modern.
  • Options
    I think they will run up in time. I don't think that the bulk of them will ever go too crazy.
    I do think that PQ examples will become highly sought after, for periods of time, and that us old time Franklin Experts will cash out and make some money.
    Tomaskas book will probably do more for the PQs than the bulk.
    Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.
  • Options
    hey Monk my old pal ......... I'm ready to buy if your ready to sell image
  • Options
    rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think Franklins are simply too common to experience a large and rapid market run-up. We would need to have 10,000 new collectors start to build sets to see such an increase. I would expect Franklins to move up or down in proportion to the performance of the overall coin market, like Morgan dollars.

Contrast the situation with the world of Seated and Bust material, where rare dates and varieties are characterized by less than 100 known examples. Only 10 or 20 new collectors will cause a perceivable increase in demand and a price run-up.

For Franklins, you'd have to go to the monster grades to thin out the populations enough to compare. The effect will not be the same because a lot of people would rather have an MS64 for $12 instead of an MS66 FBL for $10,000. There are thousands of examples of most dates available in MS64-65, which provides a "cushion" for people who do not wish to spend mega-dollars on a speculative investment. There is no cushion in Early Type, where a VG might be considered a high-grade example worth thousands of dollars.

In summary, rarity makes for a volatile market, and Franklins are not rare as a Type, or even as individual dates, but only as condition-rarities.

• Options
    Tdec1000Tdec1000 Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Too modern. >>

Dude....no offense but you weren't even around when they circulated. image
    Awarded the coveted "You Suck" Award on 22 Oct 2010 for finding a 1942/1 D Dime in silver, and on 7 Feb 2011 Cherrypicking a 1914 MPL Cent on Ebay!

Successful BST Transactions!SIconbuster, Meltdown, Mission16, slothman2000, RGjohn, braddick, au58lover, allcoinsrule, commemdude, gerard, lablade, PCcoins, greencopper, kaz, tydye, cucamongacoin, mkman123, SeaEaglecoins, Doh!, AnkurJ, Airplanenut, ArizonaJack, JJM,Tee135,LordMarcovan, Swampboy, piecesofme, Ahrensdad,
  • Options

<< <i>hey Monk my old pal ......... I'm ready to buy if your ready to sell image >>

Dang it PawPaul, I'm waiting for the run-up! image
    Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.
  • Options
    ...........I see nice strong prices being paid on eBay for a whole lot of Franklins image
  • Options
    I always liked franklins,and have a complete set in ms63-65 that range from brilliant to lightly toned in a dansco album. But the series is under assault by the at doctors and one seller who has buried collectors with his one way market. there are massive amounts of them not certified yet. I dont see a big runup happening, you can still pick up many nice 63-65 coins at b&ms at very nice prices,you just have to wade thru the ugly ones.(at least this is the case where I live as there are three shops within 15 miles of my house.
    not an expert,just well informed.
  • Options

<< <i>...........I see nice strong prices being paid on eBay for a whole lot of Franklins image >>

you best not be hoggin all the frankies Paw image
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

I always liked franklins,and have a complete set in ms63-65 that range from brilliant to lightly toned in a dansco album. But the series is under assault by the at doctors and one seller who has buried collectors with his one way market. there are massive amounts of them not certified yet. I dont see a big runup happening, you can still pick up many nice 63-65 coins at b&ms at very nice prices,you just have to wade thru the ugly ones

this is very well stated and about how I feel. Have a very nice album set, many attractively toned singles, and several dates of choice to gem BU rolls

Franklins are very easy to buy, tougher to sell as they are practically everywhere

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    Yes! I feel it in the air.

The China thing has killed Morgan & Peace dollars passion for many new collectors, IMHO.

Frankies are different, there are so many variables that happened year over year and despite the fact they circulated and melted so much!

You can still stumbled upon some great coins on the cheap at estate sales, on-line and even garage sales.

I can't wait for Rick's new book!
  • Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Pawpaul would know, as he puts blood, sweet, and tears into this series. >>

That's where those toners come from!!! image
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options
    HooooooooHahhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaa !

oink-oink
  • Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And don't call me Shirleyimage
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "They will start their run up right after generic 64-65 classic commems start theirs."

Waaahhhh!!! Roadrunner stole my comment!!!!! image
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file