Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

PL Barber coinage - how common?

jmcu12jmcu12 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭
I found an 1895 s barber in about 62/63 with decent looking PL.

How common is this? Should I expect to pay a premium?
Awarded latest "YOU SUCK!": June 11, 2014

Comments

• Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭✭✭
    denomination would help ... based on the year, I will guess it is a quarter?

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    jmcu12jmcu12 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭
    Sorry it is a half dollar.
    Awarded latest "YOU SUCK!": June 11, 2014
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've got a 1912 barber quarter that I would call semi-prooflike

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not sure on the halves ... might ask in the big Barber Thread

I have seen several 95-S quarters (along with a handful of other dates) in semi-PL/PL, hence my guess ... as well as few specific issues for the dimes. Not sure I can remember any Halves, but I didn't look at them for years (heck, I only own a small handful now).

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    COALPORTERCOALPORTER Posts: 2,900 ✭✭
    I do have an 1892 Barber 1/2 that is fully pl on the obverse and frosty mint luster on the reverse. I was wondering if it was prepaired for something like a gift or presentation coin?

It is in a NGC 61 STAR holder. I suppose it got a 61 for some hairlines on the obverse, but none-the-less, it is an awesome looking coin and one of my favorites..total jewerly!!
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

Currently, PCGS does not designate PL on Barber Halves.

I have seen a few different dates in PL and they are scarce
    but not rare. A slight premium may be attached to some dates
    but I'm not too sure which would command that premium.

As mentioned, many Barber collectors read and post to the Barber Mega Thread.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    Coinage dies were subject to repair, and some repairs resulted in somewhat mirror-like surfaces. Large dies were more likely to have been polished after repair than small dies.
  • Options
    I've only ever owned one legitimate PL Barber Half (1892 MS63ish PL) in all my years of collecting. As Mike said, they are scarce but they can be found if you look long enough. If the eye-appeal of the coin is legitimately PL, then the dealer obviously sees it too and will charge a premium for the coin. But remember, it's that way with ANY eye-appealing example of ANY date in ANY series. Barbers are no different. Greater eye-appeal = greater price.
  • Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PL's in any denomination are not common.

But, in order: Dimes (Most common) quarters, and then half dollars.

S mints are most usually found.
    Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

Here's a PL - just not designated on the holder...

I also have a newp - a 97-S in 64 that is PL - but PCGS does not designate PL's on this series...

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    DrPeteDrPete Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭
    My knowledge about PL barbers is mostly regarding the half dollars.

PCGS does not so designate, but NGC does; you could look on the NGC site and they have pop reports that include the PL's. Last time I looked, some months to a year ago, there were about 10-15 so designated. At one time I had three or four so designated coins, as I thought them neat, rare, and not much priced over non PL coins. I remember specifically an 1892 and an 1895-S that I had. Proof-like coins are typically among the first struck off a new polished die.

Of the PCGS-graded barber halves I have owned or still own, I would count the following as PL:

1900-O in 64
    1900-O in 64 (second coin)
    1909-S in 64

1894-O MS 66+ (in my set)
    1912-D MS 66 (in my set), not the strongest PL

Also, the Norweb 1900-O is proof-like, I think it grades MS 66 or 66+.
    There were a few coins in the Pryor set like the 94-O and 98-O that were strong PL. I believe the 92-O in Ye Olde One collection (NGC registry) is strong PL.

Hope this info helps.
    There were a few other examples from Steve Duckor's set that were PL. You could look at his retired registry set to get a good look.
    Dr. Pete

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file