Home Metal Detecting
Options

Nov 10, 2010: SPANISH SILVER!! and Matron Head Large Cent

pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭✭
1700s Spanish silver was the most wanted on my top 10 list... but no longer! Went back to the field from before and had virtually nothing after an hour and a half. Finally got an 11-39 signal on the e-trac, which is very close to a Zincoln. Thinking it was either a piece of can, or a zincoln... dug down a few inches (don't really remember how far it was) and out popped a silver disc about the size of a dime. Couldn't quite make it out there and didn't want to rub it, took it back to the car, gave it a quick rinse and thought it was spanish silver! "Could it really be?" Upon getting home, it was confirmed! Date is 178? It's not in the best shape. Soaked it in soap and water, but this is what's left. Any suggestions on how to try cleaning it better? I think it's a half real, but am not familiar with my Spanish coins... any help? Spanish silver is now off the top 10 list.

About 20 minutes later a 12-43 signal appeared on the e-trac, which is usually a wheat cent... out pops a large cent! It looks to be a matron head and I think it's 1827, pretty rough though. Overall, a very good day!

HH all!

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fantastic. Outstanding. That is one great site you are working. Yes, it is a Spanish Reale... not sure of denomination. And an LC to boot... great hunt. Congratulations. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i got two of the silvers before. a 1775 and 1790. thats always a real thrill to see the dates on them. congrats on your finds there. wtg image
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeowza! Wonderful outing!!

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    Looks like 1781 on my screen. Just look up carolous iii and what years he was king for. I dug an 1800 half reale a few years back. Its about the size of a us halfdime.
  • Options
    great job rob...you have to come down to jersey and teach me how to do it. my oldest find is a 1917 Wheat. Do I remember correctly that a silver spoon is on your list?
    imageimageimage
  • Options

<< <i>great job rob...you have to come down to jersey and teach me how to do it. my oldest find is a 1917 Wheat. Do I remember correctly that a silver spoon is on your list? >>

Thanks Jesse! Next time I'm down we should definitely head out someplace. On the detecting forums, there seems to always be some kind of early silver or copper coming out of south jersey. If all else fails, we can always knock on some doors of old houses - should be plenty around! haha, yes, a sterling spoon is still on my list. have you been out much this year?
  • Options
    unfortunately no...i think i only went out once this year. which is lame. i found a spoon on the property of a house i was renting about 4 years ago. "Gorham Sterling Pat. 1938". It's probably my coolest find, but is dwarfed next to most of yours. Guess what, we just found out we're having our 2nd child!
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations Jesse... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice hunting spot there!
    Congratulationsimage
    email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How big of an area are you hunting in this field? You better hope that it doesn't freeze real soon.image
  • Options

<< <i>Congratulations Jesse... Cheers, RickO >>

Thank you.
    imageimageimage
  • Options

<< <i>How big of an area are you hunting in this field? You better hope that it doesn't freeze real soon.image >>

The area is pretty big, and slow-going due to corn stubble. Unfortunately, there's no pattern to where the coins have been found... see below. the white circles represent the coin finds shown in the various threads. The only thing is if the image is flipped upside down... the finds on the right side resemble the Big Dipper... could I be onto something?? I think the winter will be here before the field(s) can be covered...