Home Metal Detecting
Options

Anyone ever send their coins to the U.S. Mint Mutilated Coin division?

pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭
We all have found coins that probably can't be spent. The U.S. Mint does have a mutilated coin division where they can be sent to. Anyone have any info on what the exchange rate actually is? All I could find online is this (from a site called scribd.com):

QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS
ABOUT
UNCURRENT AND MUTILATED COINS

1) What is the difference between Uncurrent and Mutilated coins? UNCURRENT:U.S. coins which are merely worn or reduced in weight by natural abrasion, yet are readily and clearly recognizable and machine countable, are classified as Uncurrent Coins. MUTILATED:All coins that are bent, broken, corroded, not whole, melted together and not machine countable, are classified as Mutilated Coins.

2) Where do I redeem Uncurrent coins? Uncurrent coins are redeemable at Federal Reserve Banks and their branches at face value. (This includes silver coins).

3) Where do I redeem Mutilated coins? Mutilated coins are redeemable at: United States Mint ATTN: Mutilated Coin Redemption Section P.O. Box 400 for Post Office shipments only 151 N. Independence Mall East Philadelphia, PA 19106 You may mail them through the U.S. Post Office, Federal Express, UPS, etc. You can also deliver in person to the loading dock located between Race and Arch streets on 4th street. Receiving hours are 7:00AM to 1:30PM, Monday through Friday.
ALL PERSONS DELIVERING COINS TO THE U. S. MINT, MUST FIRST SCHEDULE A
DROP OFF DATE AND BE CLEARED BY THE UNITED STATES MINT POLICE AT
LEAST 24 HOURS IN ADVANCE. PLEASE CALL (215) 408-0203 FOR MORE
INFORMATION.

4) Are there any mutilated coins that the U.S. Mint will not redeem? The following will not be redeemed by the U.S. Mint:
a) Fused material unrecognizable as U.S. currency.
b) Foreign coins.
c) Counterfeit coins and slugs.
d) Altered coins, changed to pass as another denomination. Coins or lumps of coins, which
contain lead, solder or other substances, which would make them unsuitable for use as coinage
metal.
e) Precious coins (gold or silver).

5) Note: There is a minimum of 1LB or .45KG per denomination or separated alloy that can be
accepted for redemption. Any underweight coin will not be processed for redemption and all shipping QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS
ABOUT
UNCURRENT AND MUTILATED COINS

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seems like a lot more trouble than it is worth. I knew the service was available, however, have not known anyone to make use of it. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can I send them all the chewed up, corroded Zincolns that will otherwise fill a landfill somewhere?
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I put the crusty Zincolns back in rolls.image
    email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    I have some mutilated coins, but it sounds like too much trouble to get them remedied. Do we have to have a minimum weight requirement? I just want to pop my coins in an envelope, send them away to the US MINT and then recieve fresh coins back. I don't want to wait till have a bag full of them.

[/URL]">LINK TO COINS
    "So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • Options
    "So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

• Options
    United States Mint
    ATTN: Mutilated Coin Redemption Section
    P.O. Box 400
    151 N. Independence Mall
    East Philadelphia, PA 19106

Is this where to mail the coins or do I having something redundant within the address?

• Options
    pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭
    "I have some mutilated coins, but it sounds like too much trouble to get them remedied. Do we have to have a minimum weight requirement? I just want to pop my coins in an envelope, send them away to the US MINT and then recieve fresh coins back. I don't want to wait till have a bag full of them."

According to the FAQ, they require 1lb per denomination...

I wonder if calling the U.S. mint would help at all?

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would recommend direct contact with the mint. I am sure those regulations were established for a reason, however, they may have some 'in-house' ways around them. Worth a try anyway. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    DeutscherGeist, I would just hit them with a hammer to flatten them out a bit and put them in a roll.