Home U.S. Coin Forum

So who is going to bid against me on the 1936-S/1929 MS65FB on the bay? Wow... Sold for $1313.99 w/

fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
I may as well ask now, as there will probably be a few on here. And this way I get an idea of the competition.

Good Luck to all.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260689262892&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I was not the winner...

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

Comments

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    go for it. its all yours
  • braddickbraddick Posts: 22,995 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's already bid past my comfort level.
    What would this variety- attributed via NGC- be worth?

peacockcoins

• 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,470 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I may as well ask now, as there will probably be a few on here. And this way I get an idea of the competition.

Good Luck to all.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260689262892&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT >>

Let me know how much you're going to bid so I can give it some thought.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • DCWDCW Posts: 6,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Without knowing too much about this "overdate," I'm having a hard time seeing the "29." I'm also having a hard time believing the story of how the mint was "trying to save money" by reworking an old die seven years later. Still an interesting tale, however tall it may be...good luck!

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well well, what have we got here! A 63 in a 65 holder ........ everybody stop bidding!!

And that's an order!!
  • canadanzcanadanz Posts: 617 ✭✭

<< <i>Without knowing too much about this "overdate," I'm having a hard time seeing the "29." I'm also having a hard time believing the story of how the mint was "trying to save money" by reworking an old die seven years later. Still an interesting tale, however tall it may be...good luck! >>

Was thinking the same thing. Saw this yesterday and tried really hard to see the 29, but I wasn't able to. I'm by no means a Winged Liberty or Varieties of any kind expert (or anything even close to an expert) however, so who knows.
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's safe from me. I don't hit on that young stuff. image
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I saw this lovely item 2 days ago. I'm glad I just sold a couple grand worth of crap. I think I am in a good position to make this item mine. But thanks for making this item known to everyone in the free world so that I will be sure pay top dollar for it....just in case I am fortunate enough to win. Not cool.

List of active set builders that might be interested(that I know of) - FCLOUD, DIMEMAN, KEYMAN64, and Larry Martin in the FB REALM (I hope he does not know about it because he has deep deep pockets and has already beat me on one eBay coin...back in the April/May time frame. UGH!

I refuse to bid the thing up all week so I will let everyone else do that. UGH! UGH! UGH! image
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That sellers handle sure seems familier.
    Looks like the Merc wars are back.
  • cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>That sellers handle sure seems familier.
    Looks like the Merc wars are back. >>

It's my coin... I've been reading this thread all day, and haven't posted until now because I do have a post for it on the BST, and don't want anyone to think I'm 'hyping' it here. I do appreciate the free publicity, though. Obviously, as the seller, I want it to do well, and I'm surprised by the response it's gotten so far.
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.

<< <i>

<< <i>That sellers handle sure seems familier.
    Looks like the Merc wars are back. >>

It's my coin... I've been reading this thread all day, and haven't posted until now because I do have a post for it on the BST, and don't want anyone to think I'm 'hyping' it here. I do appreciate the free publicity, though. Obviously, as the seller, I want it to do well, and I'm surprised by the response it's gotten so far. >>

Wrong thread. Good Luck with your coin Chris.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    Anyone who wants this type of coin already would have known it was there. Some are unhappy I posted the link. I really think there are people out there bidding who never even come to this board and have deep pockets anyway.

The coin will top out at its true value. It doesn't matter that a link is here or not. At least I have an idea of who is in.

It looks like only a couple of people here would be interested anyway. There are nine bidders so far, and I haven't went in yet. The two or three others interested here takes it up to four max.

I should be fun to watch.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭
    Well, now that it's a contest, I'm in...image
    If Larry Martin wants it you might as well give up.

His 16-D is a 66FB......nuff said!
  • keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Anyone who wants this type of coin already would have known it was there. Some are unhappy I posted the link. I really think there are people out there bidding who never even come to this board and have deep pockets anyway.

The coin will top out at its true value. It doesn't matter that a link is here or not. At least I have an idea of who is in.

It looks like only a couple of people here would be interested anyway. There are nine bidders so far, and I haven't went in yet. The two or three others interested here takes it up to four max.

I should be fun to watch. >>

I have been able to "win" a couple of coins in the past few months that other active set members have needed because they were not paying attention during that particular week. So I can assure you that your ASSumptions are not always correct. No chance for that to happen this week. It should be fun for you to watch, what do you care? You already have all of the coins in the set. People like me rely on a little bit of luck to get good coins because that is all we have sometimes. I do not have the deep pockets of others. I would just assume be able to buy a few coins over the next few months, not just ONE. A thread like this certainly eliminates the possibility of a little luck. I hope this is fun for you to watch, please enjoy and chuckle as I possibly stretch every dollar I have to try and get this...and still possibly fail. I am so happy this is fun or funny for you since you have a complete set. Awesome for cmerlo1 though...he has a healthy chance of getting top dollar. Tony, I like you but you drew a good bit of extra attention to this coin which hurts the folks with shallow pockets... so that is why I just don't think this was a cool move.

I'm sure there are plenty of people here that will think I am completely nuts and that's just fine. Maybe I need to just take a few weeks off and not even bid for this coin and let someone else have it a bit cheaper than otherwise possible.
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:

<< <i>

<< <i>Anyone who wants this type of coin already would have known it was there. Some are unhappy I posted the link. I really think there are people out there bidding who never even come to this board and have deep pockets anyway.

I should be fun to watch. >>

I have been able to "win" a couple of coins in the past few months that other active set members have needed because they were not paying attention during that particular week. So I can assure you that your ASSumptions are not always correct. No chance for that to happen this week. It should be fun for you to watch, what do you care? You already have all of the coins in the set. People like me rely on a little bit of luck to get good coins because that is all we have sometimes. I do not have the deep pockets of others. I would just assume be able to buy a few coins over the next few months, not just ONE. A thread like this certainly eliminates the possibility of a little luck. I hope this is fun for you to watch, please enjoy and chuckle as I possibly stretch every dollar I have to try and get this...and still possibly fail. I am so happy this is fun or funny for you since you have a complete set. Awesome for cmerlo1 though...he has a healthy chance of getting top dollar. Tony, I like you but you drew a good bit of extra attention to this coin which hurts the folks with shallow pockets... so that is why I just don't think this was a cool move.

I'm sure there are plenty of people here that will think I am completely nuts and that's just fine. Maybe I need to just take a few weeks off and not even bid for this coin and let someone else have it a bit cheaper than otherwise possible. >>

Greg, There was and is no intension of bad feeling. I am sorry you feel that way. The fact that this coin is there and you feel no one would find it but you is simply incorrect. It took me two years to find one, and one more week to find a second. This coin has more controversy than politics. If you don't win this coin there will be others. This coin is listed pretty high in value in the CPG. Who knows Christen may have even posted it on the BST board as it got closer to the end. After all he posted the 1945-D/Horiz D on the BST board that he sold to Jon. (or was that S/Horiz S?) At this point I can only offer you an apology, and wish you luck in finding another if it goes too high for you. Who knows maybe it will go beyond what I am willing to go and won't even be able to bid. The countdown has begun and there is an ending point. Tony

I sure hate to see bad blood between fellow Mercateers(sp). I'm sure Tony meant no harm, especially sense it sounded like he was interested too. In this case where it is mentioned in the heading I don't think it would have gone undicted. If it was not mentioned anywhere that would be a different story.

Anyway, I'm friends with both Tony and Greg and hope this does not become a friendship breaker. image
  • BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Somebody call the wambulance image

Great thread, guys!
  • RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    Sorry, but I respectfully disagree on the "over date" designation. Also, it is not certified by NGC as anything except a normal coin. Much “wishful thinking” and little “logical thinking.”

1) The "reason" is pure invention since there was no shortage of dies or money at the mints.
    2) Working dies and dated hubs were destroyed immediately following the year of use - this was not 1800 when dies were used until they fell apart.
    3) The die basin on the two years was different.
    4) Scratches and die repair can look like all sorts of things – maybe the next coin will have the virgin Mary person scratched in Cheze Wiz.
  • sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    I had an interest, but not at current $222

lets make predictions? $584.66

RBW - This IS the overdate! It's not on the ngc label but it IS the overdate!
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I saw the alleged discovery specimen some time back, and offered my opinion at that time that it was not an overdate.
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
    I happen to disagree....reasons already stated.

Now....I've got this bridge in Alaska - it's not built yet but it will be real soon......
    Like I said, "This coin has more controversy than politics."

If is it or is not doesn't matter the die gouges or "possible" overdate on this variety are really cool.

RWB - I don't know if you disputing that the variety is not an overdate or if your disputing that this coin is that variety.

First, this coin is the overdate that is in the CPG.

Second, it is an overdate discovered by Bill Fivaz and accepted by PCGS. The overdate is clear. You saying that it is not doesn't change that. It would be like me picking out a Vam and saying 'No it's not'.
    Dimeman,
    I do not see anything in the photos of the coin to point to anything except some scratches and coincidence. As I noted in an earlier post about this coin, it fails every test of logic and normal practice. It also fails the basin test of abnormal practice; and the time test.

Imagination is great stuff, and in that context, the proffered "overdate" dime is "great imaginary stuff."

That conclusion has no impact on respect held for those who have other views.

If you like the coin so much, buy it and enjoy it! It is, after all, a hobby.

RBW,

All I can say is that if you can't see the 2 inside the 3.......you are blind.

Thanks for the pic Tony. If anybody can't see the repuching of the 9 and the 2 inside the 3............well there's no need to argue any more!
  • fcfc Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Thanks for the pic Tony. If anybody can't see the repuching of the 9 and the 2 inside the 3............well there's no need to argue any more! >>

maybe i do not know enough to get in this debate.. but why do you think you can
    see remnants of the 2 but not the last digit of the date? as in some remnants of the
    9 in 29?
    fc,

They polished off the 9 but could not or did not care to polish inside the 3, so the underlying 2 is still there.
  • JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do not believe this is an overdate.
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks, George...

Well I guess it would be nice
    If I could touch your body
    I know not everybody
    Has got a body like you

But I've got to think twice
    Before I give my heart away
    And I know all the games you play
    Because I play them too

Oh but I
    Need some time off from that emotion
    Time to pick my heart up off the floor
    And when that love comes down
    Without devotion
    Well it takes a strong man baby
    But I'm showing you the door

'Cause I gotta have faith...

Baby
    I know you're asking me to stay
    Say please, please, please, don't go away
    You say I'm giving you the blues
    Maybe
    You mean every word you say
    Can't help but think of yesterday
    And another who tied me down to loverboy rules

Before this river
    Becomes an ocean
    Before you throw my heart back on the floor
    Oh baby I reconsider
    My foolish notion
    Well I need someone to hold me
    But I'll wait for something more

Yes I've gotta have faith...
    One cannot “polish off” a digit on a working die. To do so will leave a depression equal in depth to the height of the digit. The coin will have a raised lump in that location.
  • ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,580 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think also its just a random die finish scratch, feature...whatever you want to call it..but not a mint made overdate.

Notice the bottom line of the "2" actually is a continuation of a line to the right, and also to the left. These small coins MS coins under extreme magnification can show many things which can be construed to have one meaning, yet are nothing but random marks.

One should trust in what Roger says about mint related issues.

<< <i>One cannot “polish off” a digit on a working die. To do so will leave a depression equal in depth to the height of the digit. The coin will have a raised lump in that location. >>

It takes a while to understand the relationship of the die to the finished product, but once understood many things open up.
    It then becomes easy to understand and easily identify a doubled die, or a die gouge vs a strike through etc.
    Your one sentence explanation here explains volumes.
    Sorry, but that 2 inside the 3 is NOT random marks......come on!!!!

And it's not me saying this is a RPD....it is Bill Fivaz and I agree with him 200%!

<< <i>I think also its just a random die finish scratch, feature...whatever you want to call it..but not a mint made overdate.

Notice the bottom line of the "2" actually is a continuation of a line to the right, and also to the left. These small coins MS coins under extreme magnification can show many things which can be construed to have one meaning, yet are nothing but random marks.

One should trust in what Roger says about mint related issues. >>

What he said......
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

<< <i>Sorry, but that 2 inside the 3 is NOT random marks......come on!!!!

And it's not me saying this is a RPD....it is Bill Fivaz and I agree with him 200%! >>

Mr. Fivaz said "POSSIBLE OVERDATE."

Not "Overdate," he said "Possible Overdate."
    I do not see where the 2 inside the 3 is a continuation of anything to either side.
  • cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,890 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The coin in question is an NGC MS-65FB example of FS-110, listed in the Cherrypicker's Guide. I stand behind my attribution of the coin as that variety. Overdate or not, it's apparent that it's collectible, at least to some.
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
    Personally, after trying to align 1929 dates over 1936 dates, I don't think it was possible.

My knowledge says that working dies are created from working hubs which are created from master dies which are created from master hubs.

Modifying a working die by altering the date from one year to another has it's risks in that a hump would definitely be created. Thi would also create production problems in getting the repunched date to even show up.

Additionally, the angle on the upstroke of the two on the possible overdate doesn't appear to match the angle of the two's from 1929.

If someone could explain how dies were made during this time period, it might shed some light on how it might have been possible.

The name is LEE!
  • fcfc Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The coin in question is an NGC MS-65FB example of FS-110, listed in the Cherrypicker's Guide. I stand behind my attribution of the coin as that variety. Overdate or not, it's apparent that it's collectible, at least to some. >>

your post is reasonable. you are not the only one calling this an over date.
    it just seems this forum may be the right place to finally quash this speculation
    and collectors here can lead the way on just calling it a variety.

here is another look at this date.

<< <i>The coin in question is an NGC MS-65FB example of FS-110, listed in the Cherrypicker's Guide. I stand behind my attribution of the coin as that variety. Overdate or not, it's apparent that it's collectible, at least to some. >>

I agree that the question is not whether this is the variety or not, the question is if this is an overdate.
    I do not believe this is an overdate of a 1936 over an 1929.
    I'm not going to argue anymore about this being an overdate or not. I feel it is and that in a 2 inside the 3.

The last point I want to make is about the question as to why the rest of the digits if the 29 are not there. Everyone knows or should know that RPD's do not have all the underlying digits. When they see that the mistake is there they try to eliminate as much of the error as they can or want to to make it less noticable. I don't know how this is done, but it is. And that is why there is not a complete underlying date.

This will be my last post to this thread.
  • telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Laying aside the overdate controversy... I just don't like this coin. It has white spots galore and is an overgrade imo.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    People can collect what they want, people have argued about overdates for over a century, the mint had squirrelly employees who do things however they see fit since...oh...around 1793 (I assume the 1792 guys were not). That's my last comment on this topic (maybe). Cool discussion, though. image
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    Neither Chicken Little, Henny Penny nor I, will be bidding.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • I want to know why people think it is over a 1929? I can see to spots that lead people to think the 92 part but I see nothing on the 6 to suggest a 9. While the coin does play tricks on the eyes, weren't all 20th cen overdate punched into the hub and not the die which would cast the whole 7 year old reused die idea in question? Also where is the die rust and or soft details for polishing?????

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file