We ain't seen nothing yet

$50-$100 dollar moves in gold are right around the corner.


A $100 move on a $1,400 commodity is like a $10 move on a $140 stock, or like a $1 move on a $14 stock.

The question isn't if it will happen. The question is when will it start going nuts.

Comments

  • I don't have a comment. I am just noting the current prices for the forum archives:

    Kitco ask for gold $1394, silver $26.87
  • mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,855 ✭✭✭
  • MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>$50-$100 dollar moves in gold are right around the corner.


    A $100 move on a $1,400 commodity is like a $10 move on a $140 stock, or like a $1 move on a $14 stock.

    The question isn't if it will happen. The question is when will it start going nuts. >>



    Yes, it might be comparable to, say, the dollar moving in large one hundred point increments as they are BOTH currencies, after all, just one is real!

    Miles
    Waiting for the swell in PM's and surf.
  • It will happen as the dollar continues to lose value; where the dollar stops is the 15 trillion dollar question. Commodies are not gaining value; the dollar is just losing buying power.
  • Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭

    Could happen Wednesday, when the money printing starts. Silver could cross $30 same day.
  • roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 27,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Commodities are not gaining value; the dollar is just losing buying power

    With gold having risen 5.5X since 2001, and the dollar index having fallen 40% in the same period, I think it's safe to say that this commodity (and probably many others) have far outpaced the drop in the dollar. There's more at work here than just the dollar drop. You can't even say that the money supply has been increased 5.5X in the past 9 yrs. Though one could say that the otc derivatives, debt and other crazy bets on our financial system have increased by 5.5X. I'd say gold is measuring itself against those things rather than just the old dollar.

    Gold can buy you 4X more today than what it could in 2001. In my area a house worth $150,000 in 2001 is probably worth about $150K-$200K today. 588 ounces of gold bought that house in 2001. Today...no more than 144 oz. Purchasing power plus a whole lot more is maintained.

    roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    Wait a minute. Arent you the same guy that said this?

    people are "nuts" for buying now
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • The falling USD will push gold to $1500 sooner rather than later.

    Unfortunately it will push crude oil over $100 soon also.......
  • OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭✭


    << <i>Gold can buy you 4X more today than what it could in 2001. In my area a house worth $150,000 in 2001 is probably worth about $150K-$200K today. 588 ounces of gold bought that house in 2001. Today...no more than 144 oz. Purchasing power plus a whole lot more is maintained.

    roadrunner >>


    When the price gets down to 2 ounces I'm a buyer! image

    My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)



  • << <i>Wait a minute. Arent you the same guy that said this?

    people are "nuts" for buying now >>




    Tongue in cheek. image


  • << <i>

    << <i>Wait a minute. Arent you the same guy that said this?

    people are "nuts" for buying now >>




    Tongue in cheek. image >>



    Yes I figured that out later after I lambasted you for that comment. My bad! Please use the sarcasm flag next time! image
  • OPAOPA Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>$50-$100 dollar moves in gold are right around the corner.


    A $100 move on a $1,400 commodity is like a $10 move on a $140 stock, or like a $1 move on a $14 stock.

    The question isn't if it will happen. The question is when will it start going nuts. >>



    I hope not ... That would indicate an immediate bubble .... I prefer a steady climb of 1% or less per week.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."


  • << <i>

    << <i>$50-$100 dollar moves in gold are right around the corner.


    A $100 move on a $1,400 commodity is like a $10 move on a $140 stock, or like a $1 move on a $14 stock.

    The question isn't if it will happen. The question is when will it start going nuts. >>



    I hope not ... That would indicate an immediate bubble .... I prefer a steady climb of 1% or less per week. >>



    Not a bubble Opa, but and impending collapse...
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 19,828 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope not ... That would indicate an immediate bubble .... I prefer a steady climb of 1% or less per week.

    I agree. I'm sure that Bernake agrees as well.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

    I knew it would happen.
  • piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    Am I seeing what I think I see? Ag up another 3% so far today?
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • 57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,972 ✭✭✭
    and Au as well
    with a the USD holding it's own, sorta

  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 19,992 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope this dont crash to soon and stays there. we shall see .......
  • After gold hits $3000 then I'll watch for the drop off. We might be in the final days of being able to buy gold under $1500...ever!
  • OPAOPA Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you have any plans to buy gold from the Mint, I would suggest you do it before Wednesday.image
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • BubbleheadBubblehead Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭


    << <i>Could happen Wednesday, when the money printing starts. Silver could cross $30 same day. >>

    image

    image
  • cohodkcohodk Posts: 15,840 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 8, 2019 4:41PM

    @roadrunner said:
    Commodities are not gaining value; the dollar is just losing buying power

    With gold having risen 5.5X since 2001, and the dollar index having fallen 40% in the same period, I think it's safe to say that this commodity (and probably many others) have far outpaced the drop in the dollar. There's more at work here than just the dollar drop. You can't even say that the money supply has been increased 5.5X in the past 9 yrs. Though one could say that the otc derivatives, debt and other crazy bets on our financial system have increased by 5.5X. I'd say gold is measuring itself against those things rather than just the old dollar.

    Gold can buy you 4X more today than what it could in 2001. In my area a house worth $150,000 in 2001 is probably worth about $150K-$200K today. 588 ounces of gold bought that house in 2001. Today...no more than 144 oz. Purchasing power plus a whole lot more is maintained.

    roadrunner

    9 year bump. How many oz does it take today?


    Excuses are tools of the ignorant
    Knowledge is the enemy of fear
  • BaleyBaley Posts: 21,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @RedHerring said:
    After gold hits $3000 then I'll watch for the drop off. We might be in the final days of being able to buy gold under $1500...ever!

    LoL, where did all of the permabulls slink off to in their shame and regret?

    Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

  • metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭✭

    As stocks and real estate has soared to record highs the proportion of PM's in one's portfolio may have been reduced below the recommended 10%. GLTA

    email: [email protected]

    100% Positive BST transactions
  • OPAOPA Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Baley said:

    @RedHerring said:
    After gold hits $3000 then I'll watch for the drop off. We might be in the final days of being able to buy gold under $1500...ever!

    LoL, where did all of the permabulls slink off to in their shame and regret?

    Two or three are still with us and continue to broadcast the same music.

    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • derrybderryb Posts: 27,428 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Always bullish on gold, even in a bear market. It's insurance dummies, not an investment.

    “We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.” – Ayn Rand

  • rickoricko Posts: 69,503 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I like gold.... stacks nicely....good insurance....Cheers, RickO

Sign In or Register to comment.