Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Unprecedented 1956 Franklin FBL BUGS BUNNY-- New Discovery/New POP TOP

This 1956 Franklin Bugs Bunny in MS66 FBL is significant for several reasons.

First, most , if not all Franklin variety collectors were of the opinion that 1956 BB's just did not exist with FBL's. Looking back at previous sales and

auction records it is apparent that 1956 Bugs' came predominantly from two die pairings that suffered from the die clashing (that produces these

varieties) rather late in the dies life and had lost the sharpness of detail necessary to produce a FBL coin.

Second, because of the die deterioration combined with the general scarcity of the variety, most 56 Bugs grade MS63/MS64, with MS65's being really

tough to find. I don't have access to the POP REPORT data, but off the top of my head, I think this is probably the first MS66 1956 BB graded.

To also exhibit sharp FBL's is like white truffle gravy!

With the new Franklin book due out soon, which I am hoping will feature a chapter on Franklin Varieties that will stimulate more collectors to search

for the varieties, this coin could not have appeared at a better time for guys like Pawpaul, who have been waiting for 25 years for the series to catch

fire!
"Wars are really ugly! They're dirty
and they're cold.
I don't want nobody to shoot me in the foxhole."
Mary

Best Franklin Website

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Will you be purchasing it?? Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    I'll be bidding, that's for sure!
    and they're cold.
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,455 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you have a Franklin Reg Set....all you have to do is go into "What If" and select the different grades for that coin and it tells you the populations. So when you say you do not have access to the POP Report for Franklins I am not sure I understand. Don't you have a Franklin Reg Set?
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    No I do not currently have a Reg. Set.

I have a world class Franklin set, but I no longer play the Reg. game for several reasons.
    and they're cold.
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • Options
    Well, all you have to do is start a set, put one coin in it, check the pops through what if then delete the set. Then on top of that, access to ANACS pops is free...you just have to have a free username and password on the site. Pretty simple. Good luck with your research and world class set.
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    PawPaulPawPaul Posts: 5,845
    ............you fellers go ga-ga for it if you want ;

even blowed up real big the teeth commin 'out of his nose are barely visible

• Options
    RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    ... late in the dies life and had lost the sharpness of detail necessary to produce a FBL coin.

Is the above a correct statement? If so, why are there so few "FBL" coins if the sharpness was present for much of the reverse die's life? Is “FBL” actually a useful measure of coin strike quality, or is it something else?
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭
    I really hate to say it but this smells like SPAM.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options

<< <i>I really hate to say it but this smells like SPAM. >>

Most people do not try to bring MORE attention to an item that they themselves will be bidding on. That just sounds a bit ________ to me.
  • Options
    djdilliodondjdilliodon Posts: 1,938 ✭✭
    The bugs bunny variety does absolutely nothing for me and that coin im just not seeing it.
  • Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

...i've always loved mel blanc's stuff. image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options
    giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's the only Mint State coin of any grade certified in the online Pop Report for PCGS #147875, which is FBL 1956 BB, FS-401. For what it's worth.
    VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • Options
    Bushmaster8, maybe I have an oral fixation, but my favorite non-Ike Varieties are the Hot Lips Morgan and Bugs Bunny Franklins. While the monumental volumptousness of the Hot Lips Variety grabs me each time I see one, the Bugs Bunny subtlety is part of its appeal for me: when I have the great fortune to stumble across one unexpectedly, the darn thing sort of sneaks up on me. Then finding the rest of the clash features is a treat.

Guess I've always liked clashed coins.

As to the Bell Line sharpness, do you think how well annealed a given planchet was played a role? That's a variable that could lead to the occasional "well struck" example in the face of predominant weakness. Rob, who is really ignorant about Morgans and Frankies.
    Modern dollars are like children - before you know it they'll be all grown up.....

Questions about Ikes? Go to The IKE GROUP WEB SITE
  • Options
    a full bell line Franklin owes it's origin to a few different aspects ; most all of which are outlined in Tomaskas books
  • Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    Pretty long stretch of the imagination to see Bug's teeth...where are they?
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    I'm guessing the teeth are stronger than they appear in the photo. From my experience, PCGS will reject a Bugs Bunny if the strength of the clash is borderline. The die pairing that the majority of the '56 Bugs Bunnies are struck from there are none that are even close to FBL. This FBL die pairing is much scarcer and I'm guessing there are not many out there.
  • Options
    darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭

. I think you are dead wrong! Bushmaster is one of the most avid collectors of this series and very passionate about his Franklins. He know's everyone that will be bidding the big numbers already knows about this coin. Also I believe he would like it to go high to better promote Franklins. At least this is the way I take it.image
  • Options
    CoppercolorCoppercolor Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

. I think you are dead wrong! Bushmaster is one of the most avid collectors of this series and very passionate about his Franklins. He know's everyone that will be bidding the big numbers already knows about this coin. Also I believe he would like it to go high to better promote Franklins. At least this is the way I take it.image >>

Pretty good observation Darktone and likely very accurate.
    I'd like my copper well done please!
  • Options
    RebelRonRebelRon Posts: 544 ✭✭
    aaaaah!Whats up Doc? image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

. I think you are dead wrong! Bushmaster is one of the most avid collectors of this series and very passionate about his Franklins. He know's everyone that will be bidding the big numbers already knows about this coin. Also I believe he would like it to go high to better promote Franklins. At least this is the way I take it.image >>

Pretty good observation Darktone and likely very accurate. >>

Dang!

My silly meter just jumped to 100%!

Who in their right mind would say "Hey look at this rarity I found in an upcoming auction! Outbid me if you can!" image
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    Bushmaster is a very clever feller ...............if on some outside chance he is the owner of the coin -

best he come clean and beg forgiveness

on the other hand , if it's not his coin .......... then he is innocent of spamming until proven otherwise ..........
  • Options

it's at 2050$ in tonight's auction
  • Options

<< <i>............

it's at 2050$ in tonight's auction >>

The coin did not sell. Obviously the seller wants at least $2,100.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    now who could that seller be ................?
  • Options
    I realize this thread has not been updated for some time, but there is a new 1956 Bugs FS-401 FBL top pop for PCGS as of November, 2013. If you check PCGS Coinfacts for this variety, there is a MONSTER toner pictured in MS67FBL. This is my coin and I am rather proud of it! This is the very 1st FS Franklin variety to be attributed by PCGS above MS66FBL in ANY variety. This coin is unique at this time, being the solo FS Franklin in MS67FBL. And it was CAC'd. The known MS66FBL sold for $1,438 in 2010, while the same grade unattributed lists for $170. This MS67FBL lists for $4,600 without the attribution. The bar has been raised!!
    Reuben
  • Options
    georgiacop50georgiacop50 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭✭
    I hope you get the pix thing figured out Rueben…we'd love to see it!
  • Options
    Never been a fan of the Franklins. They just bore me. More power to you guys that like them, good luck!
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Would like to see that '67FBL.... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Would like to see that '67FBL.... Cheers, RickO >>

Merry Christmas!

Larger image for CoinFacts subscribers
  • Options
    SoCalBigMarkSoCalBigMark Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi folks, this is an old thread, is this a Bugs Bunny FBL?

• Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

...don't believe so...image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is a BB but hard to see the bell line. image

Hoard the keys.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file