Home U.S. Coin Forum

Anyone remember when Saintguru used to post here?

ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭
Remember him?

Comments

• mozeppamozeppa Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭
    be nice
  • CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,250 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He's probably taken the proceeds and gone dear hunting - you know - the two legged kind. image

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• TWQGTWQG Posts: 3,145 ✭✭
    I heard him, Frattlaw, and Anaconda were working on a movie.
  • GrivGriv Posts: 2,804
    I do.
  • wouldn't it be nice if we had someone who could return and help the wee-people make sensible, informed gold selections? image

lmao

God, what a nightmare!!! ...in a good way, Sainty! 'mon back.
  • mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    People come and go over the years. You get to recognize it after awhile image
  • Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    What, did he turn rogue too? And Rattlaw, the pron attorney & coin thief. I liked Anaconda, I always called him the big sneaky snake. He let me hold a $50k Barber Half once.
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,614 ✭✭✭✭✭
    SG stopped posting after he had a big sale. But he is still around from time to time.
  • RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    He posts occasionally.

If members want to take advantage of his knowledge and experience with gold, then a well-phrased question will be much more effective than snide remarks, from some don't know him.
  • RVDavisRVDavis Posts: 1,137
    Hey I came back. Stranger things have happened.

Yes I remember him.
    Proud recipient of YOU SUCK more than once and less than 100 times.
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I heard him, Frattlaw, and Anaconda were working on a movie. >>

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• RYKRYK Posts: 35,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What, did he turn rogue too? And Rattlaw, the pron attorney & coin thief. I liked Anaconda, I always called him the big sneaky snake. He let me hold a $50k Barber Half once. >>

Sorry to disappoint you, but it really was a $1000 half. image

SG posts a lot on Facebook. He is very entertaining.
  • GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,823 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You mean this guy????? imageimage
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    it's all a big plot to keep his new collecting habits quiet!

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

• << <i>He let me hold a $50k Barber Half once. >>

So that's your fingerprint on that one? image
    <<
    << What, did he turn rogue too? And Rattlaw, the pron attorney & coin thief. I liked Anaconda, I always called him the big sneaky snake. He let me hold a $50k Barber Half once. >>

Sorry to disappoint you, but it really was a $1000 half. >>

It was a high priced model, 1897 NGC Ultra Cam Proof 68 or 69, I don't reallly remember because it was several years ago and I'm looking for a Mint State not Proof, all I remember is the kindness he showed by allowing me to look at, and acting like he wanted to make a deal, whereas all the other dealers shun me & say "NO!! No 97 Barbers Halves here. Beat it!"

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He gets the
    JOE image AWARD
  • tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,146 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It was the best of times, it was the worst of times.... image
  • Although I haven't posted much here lately, and don't really know the guy even from when I did other than the few posts he was making at the time, my understanding is he went through a major life change.

Dude is probably just working all that out for himself.
    imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
    Well I'm glad to hear StGuru didn't turn rogue like so many others. I haven't posted in a while and there's been a big turnover here so I didn't know.
    TwoSides2aCoin you're a dealer, right? I know you have a 97 Barber Half in MS. Sell it to me.
  • TWQGTWQG Posts: 3,145 ✭✭
    I'm sorry if this attempt at humor was confusing.

<< <i>I heard him, Frattlaw, and Anaconda were working on a movie. >>

I grouped him in with other past members for a funny visual.
    The Saint is one of the good guys. The other two, well......

• JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When it comes to Saints, JB is the man.
    I wish he would post here more often.
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,642 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He made himself scarce after selling his Saints and buying his freedom earlier in the year, but he still pops in once in a while.
  • MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,504 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I miss him, he added a lot to this place from a great knowledge of Saints to a great personality. I hope he starts collecting coins again and comes back with a vengence! image >>

• SandhawkSandhawk Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭

Saint Who-Ru ????

A Saint Roo of Goo ????

imageimage

• jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One of his best posts that I saw involved his visit to the Smithsonian coin archive (wasn't that it?). I didn't save it, but it would be worth re-posting for all.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.

<< <i>One of his best posts that I saw involved his visit to the Smithsonian coin archive (wasn't that it?). I didn't save it, but it would be worth re-posting for all. >>

THAT was a cool thread image If anyone knows how to find that one.......please post a link to it.
  • imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
  • coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you remember his sometime avatar of Howlin' Wolf, you would get a more complete picture of his other passion. He sent me a huge CD collection of Chicago/Delta Blues recording greats, unsolicited and without knowing me from Son House. image

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Saintguru is prolly one of the most astute collectors I have ever known.

Funny as hell too.

Too bad he smells like boiled cabbageimage

Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.
  • BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe he'll post again if he gets more telemarketers to pester him image

The crank call fun I could have if I only had his #!!! imageimage
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,876 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The crank call fun I could have if I only had his #!!! >>

You bad.
  • speetyspeety Posts: 5,424

<< <i>It was the best of times, it was the worst of times.... image >>

Awwww, are you still bitter that Jay made a good point about how St. Gaudens were more curvalicious than the seated dollar Liberty?

Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!

• Saint who? image
  • Tdec1000Tdec1000 Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭
    It would be really cool if he started a small copper registry set... lincolns or indians. The guy has the eye for beauty!
    Awarded the coveted "You Suck" Award on 22 Oct 2010 for finding a 1942/1 D Dime in silver, and on 7 Feb 2011 Cherrypicking a 1914 MPL Cent on Ebay!

Successful BST Transactions!SIconbuster, Meltdown, Mission16, slothman2000, RGjohn, braddick, au58lover, allcoinsrule, commemdude, gerard, lablade, PCcoins, greencopper, kaz, tydye, cucamongacoin, mkman123, SeaEaglecoins, Doh!, AnkurJ, Airplanenut, ArizonaJack, JJM,Tee135,LordMarcovan, Swampboy, piecesofme, Ahrensdad,

<< <i>Link >>

Excellent!image
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep, he was a good contributor.... I always appreciated his sense of humor..... He did post here a couple of weeks ago though. Cheers, RickO
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He and a few of you guys are great "mentors". Thanks to PCGS for that "PM function". And for those who do not know or remember the "World Series of Trading", he knocked everyone's socks off. Did he have a mentor or what ?
  • AnalystAnalyst Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭
    I talk to SaintGuru on occasion. He (temporarily?) stopped collecting coins for reasons relating to his personal life. In his posts in late 2009 and early 2010, he provided an explanation in surprising detail. Indeed, he opened up his personal life to the members of this forum.

SaintGuru is extremely enthusiastic about coins and is very knowledgeable. I hope that he returns and I think that he might. He remains the president of the early 20th century gold club.

I wrote an article about his Saints prior to the Jan. 2010 FUN Auction, and SaintGuru’s perspectives are discussed therein. Moreover, he is mentioned in my analysis of a meeting of the early 20th century gold club. While these two articles provide some insight into his leadership ability, neither really indicates the extent to which he was influential.

SaintGuru’s Syrup to be Auctioned at FUN: Select Group of Saint Gaudens $20 Gold Coins -- 12/18/09

20th Century Gold Club Holds Fascinating Meeting During FUN Convention

Thread about 20th Century Gold Club Meeting

"In order to understand the scarce coins that you own or see, you must learn about coins that you cannot afford." -Me
  • I thought I had just seen a post from him recently. I know he has just, or is still going through one of those "life changes."image Perhaps he is spending more time with John Hurt and Charley Patton. I enjoy his posts and I do hope he comes around more.
  • saintgurusaintguru Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭
    I am here! image

I thank you all for the kind words, both friends and those I don't know.. I always loved this place...to entertain, stir up things and yes, to share the knowledge that I was gaining in my evolution as a serious Saint collector. I can say that my OCD enabled me to develope into a rather well known 'expert' and I will aways have that as my legacy. My life change was simply an amicable divorce, primarily for the sake of my dear kid, however it did require that I sell my Saints, about a decade earlier than I had hoped. But these are merely "things" that we are the caretakers of, and they are all in great hands with some of the best Saint collectors in the world.

Life is good, my daughter (who you all know was my #1 Saint. image ) who is now 14, is doing extremely well. She was more relieved than anything when this all played out and there's a better "family" now than before. And I have a serious girlfriend who I've been seeing for 4 months and she's keeping me young...not that I'm old or anything. image Life is good, amigos.

I wish I had the disposable income to start collecting again but right now I am NOT in that position. Even when you keep "half" it's never really half...you typically keep assets and give up the dinero, but perhaps in a year or two I'll find a series that offers me the challenge and complexity that would get me excited again.

I read this board from time to time and I have to say that I have made some very good FRIENDS from here. There's a solid dozen or more that I am in contact with frequently...some on Facebook and some directly. It was a great time posting, especially when there were some of the more colorful participants here. You remember. image

(And yes, I did kick SERIOUS ass in the trading contest...after finishing second the 1st year I was hell-bent on winning the 2nd and unfortunalety, last competition. David Hall just couldn't bear writing more $10K checks to me! image LoL) image
  • RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,359 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's good to see that things have worked out for Saintguru. And thanks for posting, SG!

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    Winston Churchill's quotation, made in a radio broadcast in October 1939:

"I cannot forecast to you the action of saintguru. He is a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma; but perhaps there is a key. That key is the PCGS U.S. Coin Forum."
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen

<< <i>Winston Churchill's quotation, made in a radio broadcast in October 1939:

"I cannot forecast to you the action of saintguru. He is a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma; but perhaps there is a key. That key is the PCGS U.S. Coin Forum." >>

Bravo!
  • sweetwillietsweetwilliet Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It was the best of times, it was the worst of times.... image >>

Well, which one was it? image
    Listen. Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.
    Will’sProoflikes
    The best of times are yet to come and the worst of times are way in the past. image
  • renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mr. Guru, knowingly or otherwise, your approach to collecting changed mine. Fewer coins of the highest quality, no fillers. I salute you and just can't wait to see what you start buying next.
  • sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, yeah, I remember him.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file