Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Put you expertise to work here just for kicks

NewP have not received it yet but its a PCGS MS62 with no error attribution. There is plenty going on with this coin obverse and reverse. Just for fun look at it like a puzzle and see if you can identify the errors?

Give the laziest man the toughest job and he will find the easiest way to get it done.

Comments

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You're going to have to help me with this one. I see die cracks and die clashes, but neither of these are errors, what am I missing?
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options

<< <i>You're going to have to help me with this one. I see die cracks and die clashes, but neither of these are errors, what am I missing? >>

You need to look closer I will give it up if no one can se them.
    I know the images are not much but there all I have and they are what I used.
    Give the laziest man the toughest job and he will find the easiest way to get it done.
  • Options
    do i see an S to the right of the top point on the star on the obverse?
    my ebay items BST transactions/swaps/giveaways with: Tiny, raycyca,mrpaseo, Dollar2007,Whatafind, Boom, packers88, DBSTrader2, 19Lyds, Mar327, pontiacinf, ElmerFusterpuck.
  • Options

<< <i>do i see an S to the right of the top point on the star on the obverse? >>

Thats one of many good eye!!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>do i see an S to the right of the top point on the star on the obverse? >>

Thats one of many good eye!! >>

my ebay items BST transactions/swaps/giveaways with: Tiny, raycyca,mrpaseo, Dollar2007,Whatafind, Boom, packers88, DBSTrader2, 19Lyds, Mar327, pontiacinf, ElmerFusterpuck.
  • Options
    TevaTeva Posts: 830
    I do not have this coin in hand yet so I want to know what you see if you look on the bottom right between the second and third pillars in the roman numeral three on the obverse tell me what you see?
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see something between the 2nd and 3rd pillar about in the middle up and down. Don't know what it is.

As far as the extra "S" see my thread on New Roosevelt variety.
  • Options
    i just see the clash. is there more i am missing?
  • Options

<< <i>I see something between the 2nd and 3rd pillar about in the middle up and down. Don't know what it is.

As far as the extra "S" see my thread on New Roosevelt variety. >>

now i see that.

as far as your supertorch... is the S the same size as the S in the initials on the obverse "JS"? i pondered this but never posted it to your thread.

• Options

<< <i>i just see the clash. is there more i am missing? >>

LOOK HERE
    imageimage
  • Options
    The circled are looks like clashing to me.....what am I missing?
  • Options

<< <i>The circled are looks like clashing to me.....what am I missing? >>

same here, what am i missing?

is it a 3 or an 8?
  • Options
    did i win?image
  • Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    I've stared at that pic so long, I think I saw the Virgin Mary. lol

Looks like two clashes close together.
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options
    My eyes are fluttering......my head hurts......and.....what day is it!!!
  • Options
    here is what I think I see

• Options

<< <i>here is what I think I see

image >>

are you high?
  • Options
    OK it's Liberty's head........what are we looking for??

Are you saying Liberty's head is in that circle??
  • Options
    GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭
    Is there something going on below STATES on the obv?
    Ed
  • Options
    If I stare hard enought I see a sail boat image
  • Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    doesn't look like die clash as there is rotation

looks loke flip over double strike

that would explain letters on periphey

unless coin has die rotation which I can not determine from picks
  • Options

<< <i>

image >>

are you high? >>

AM I??
  • Options
    Teva - Sorry I don't see what you are seeing.

I have learned from experience that if you look hard enough and "want" to see something, you will see it.

Than pic is just too blurry. And where would the head of Liberty on a 3 cent silver come from????
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think that the top of the "S" is covered by the gasket PCGS uses to hold the coin in place. On a tiny coin, like the silver three cent piece, that holder device is often more noticeable. As for the rest, it is clash marks, and those are not considered to be errors so far as I know.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

<< <i>Teva - Sorry I don't see what you are seeing.

I have learned from experience that if you look hard enough and "want" to see something, you will see it.
    Than pic is just too blurry. And where would the head of Liberty on a 3 cent silver come from???? >>

The OP was titled just for kicks.
    I do not have it in hand and and the coin is heavely toned so you may be right. But here is what I think. This three cent piece
    got struck in a seated liberty half dime die maybe multiple times
    before it was struck as a three cent peice??
    The coin ships monday I should have it in hand by mid week.
    I will do some high res photos and see if I am correct??
    The photos that I have to work with now are low res internet display photos so thats the best I can provide and all I have to work with. I started trying to explain that off size out of place S
    on the obverse so maybe I am seeing ghosts it is the season!!
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,217 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

image >>

are you high? >>

AM I?? >>

Looks like a still from a charlie chaplin black & white movie with a woman walking by talking on a cell phone.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file