Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

FLE MARKET EXHIBIT CARD FIND....

Hello,
Found these at a flea market today. Do not know much about exhibit card market but these were so neat & thought the price was good @ $3/cardso I picked up these.
They seem to be a mid grade so my question to any member out there ( who has dealt with similar ) is, * Are any or all worth the gradiing fee to increase value in what looks like that mid grade range they fall in.
Any opinions as always are appreciated.
Thanks,
BEJ....

Comments

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Hi

What color are the backs?

That will determine a lot.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    Nice find...

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options
    Hey Steve,
    Thanks for the reply. I would say a discolored white but here is a scan of back of Aaron, Mays & Williams.
    I appreciate your opinion.
    BEJ....
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Hi the reason I asked was from what I understand the tan backs are legit.

White backs are reprints.

Now that you have shown them to be tan your question can be answered.

These appear to be printed around 1959 IIRC. Someone else with more experience will need to chime in as

to if they are worth grading. I'd think since all are hall of famers they just might be.

Maybe Swartzie knows?

I think someone like FKW would know the most.

Nice find especially for the price.

thanks for sharing.

Wish I could be of more help.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    lostdart58lostdart58 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭
    Collector of:Baseball
    1955 Bowman Raw complete with 90% Ex-NR or better

Now seeking 1949 Eureka Sportstamps...NM condition
    Working on '78 Autographed set now 99.9% complete -
    Working on '89 Topps autoed set now complete

• Options
    Thanks to everyone for info & comments. I appreciate it.
    BEJ....
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    Only if they are NM or better are they worth grading. 15-30 may be a bit optimistic for some of the HOFers. I think you can get 15-20 or so for the Ted Williams, maybe 10-15 for the Mays and Aaron. I'd say 10 on the Musial. Spahn, Kaline, you wont get 10.00 for...many on ebay who have not sold for that 10.00 price tag. All in all, you did very well.

Ones that grade NM or better tend to get nice returns on sales. Raw Ted Williams in that condition normally auction for around 12 or 13 dollars.
  • Options
    fkwfkw Posts: 1,766 ✭✭
    Like Steve said, the cards all look to be from 1959.

Even the Williams which was really made from 1946-early1960's, though most always call it a 1939-1946 issue based on the Salutation design (this is wrong).

The key is the "Printed in USA" line and the color of the image.

Most exhibits from 1939-1960's can be narrowed down to a single year or at worst a 3 year window of when they were actually made by the size of the "MADE IN USA", "Made in USA", "PRINTED IN USA", "Printed in USA", etc., and in some years if the color is B&W.

On the backs, the tan color is good, a white or gray back is a reprint.

PS I agree with Yankeeno7's estimate of value.

PSS. if anyone want to try to narrow down the years on their exhibits, here is my breakdown on how to do it. It is based on a article in an old SCD from the early 1990s.
    1939-66 Exhibit Supply Company dating info

Below is a picture of an uncut sheet (most likely a 1959 sheet), notice the Ted Williams on top row.
    (the image is scanned from a clipped image with tape, cut from an old SCD article)

• Options
    earlycalguyearlycalguy Posts: 1,247 ✭✭

authentic exhibits have a cream color back. the non authentic often have a gray color back