Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Prestige Proof Sets

Finally decided to get back to putting together the Prestige Proof Set. Anybody know why there wasn't one in 85? Did the mint do something else that year similar?

John
Coin Photos

Never view my other linked pages. They aren't coin related.

Comments

• Options
    And things that make no sense time..........

Ebay search on 1984 shows the top result at around $48 with 10 bids. Right below it is a Buy It Now for $26.95. Are people crazy?

John
    Coin Photos

• Options
    I had a MS69 reverse proof ASE listed as having multiple milk spots obverse and reverse (with pictures) sell for more than a pristine MS69. Both auctions within a week of each other..

There is sometimes NO explanation for what goes on on the Bay.....
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A good friend of mine, who has dealt with the public for decades, in everything from furniture sales to food service told me "One in Four people you meet during your life are crazy"

maybe those high ebay bidders become convinced though photographs that a 70 or two is luring in that set.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have ten or twelve of those, including the Philadelphia set.... never checked the values. I think the Philadelphia set is the only one with gold coins in it. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Aegis3Aegis3 Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Finally decided to get back to putting together the Prestige Proof Set. Anybody know why there wasn't one in 85? Did the mint do something else that year similar?

John >>

The Prestige Proof Sets were the proof versions of circulating coinage, plus one (or two?) commemorative coins issued that year. 1985 didn't have any commems, and thus no prestige proof set.
    --

Ed. S.

(EJS)
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Finally decided to get back to putting together the Prestige Proof Set. Anybody know why there wasn't one in 85? Did the mint do something else that year similar?

John >>

The Prestige Proof Sets were the proof versions of circulating coinage, plus one (or two?) commemorative coins issued that year. 1985 didn't have any commems, and thus no prestige proof set. >>

Thanks.

John
    Coin Photos

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,311 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The things one will learn....

John, thanks for the question because I had never thought of it and I didn't know the answer (and we have some of the prestige sets and didn't know the answer)
    Aegis3, thanks for the answer.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file