Home Precious Metals
Options

Best bang for buck in silver?

percybpercyb Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭
Wondering what type of bullion to buy that is offered closest to parity per ounce of silver. (I was buying raw peace dollars --duh--unitil I was informed about the silver content and weight of them --thanks to those here. I was paying a stiffer premium than I realized).
"Poets are the unacknowledged legislators of the world." PBShelley

Comments

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you're buying quantity, take your pick:

Free shipping

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been sticking with UNC 90% silver from the 60's. It partly satisfies my collecting bug, comes with only a small premium
    over melt and most of the time costs me the same as circulated 90%.
  • Options
    only 29 cents above spot HERE
    "If you hit a midget on the head with a stick, he turns into 40 gold coins." - Patty Oswalt
  • Options
    piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    I've been sticking with UNC 90% silver from the 60's

Ditto...as much as I can anyway. You're getting nearly full weight and some numismatic value this way. Ideal if you can do it, but if not, any 90% as long as it's not culls/slick (weight) is the best route imo.
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • Options
    chumleychumley Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭✭
    I know this girl Rhonda and for the price of silver.......wait...did I misunderstand the question?
  • Options
    AgBloxAgBlox Posts: 744 ✭✭
    I'm a bit reluctant to purchase silver at these prices so I've taken a different approach. Recently I've only purchased 5 oz Engelhard poured bars. Reason being, when silver was $10-$12/oz these were selling $125-$175, Today they are still selling in that same range. If silver drops to $10/oz and I needed to sell I don't think I'd take much of a hit. If it rises I'll be OK as well. Drawback is they are hard to find. There are others I purchase as well that are in the same league but I'll keep them to myself for the time being. image
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    << Wondering what type of bullion to buy that is offered closest to parity per ounce of silver. >>

War nickels.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options

<< <i> War nickels.
    >>

Don't do it, don't do it........

My B&M usually sells those larger silver coin replicas (like a 4 oz. walking liberty etc.) for spot - also, you can usually get those big "100 dollar bill" silver ingots for apot at my B&M
    Many buy and sell transactions. Let's talk!
  • Options

<< <i>I've been sticking with UNC 90% silver from the 60's. It partly satisfies my collecting bug, comes with only a small premium
    over melt and most of the time costs me the same as circulated 90%. >>

Which UNC---Washington Quarters?
  • Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    I like 90%. You can find bu and proof 90% for close to melt.

Also walking liberty halves are good. Always easy to sell vs dimes and quarters.
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Find someone who is selling silver on a routine basis. I've sold some 100 oz bars at 2% under spot to a regional coin dealer over the past 6 weeks. I'm sure if you posted a buy ad on the BST you'd get some results. There are collectors buying and selling all the time. Don't see why you would have to pay anything over spot. I have some local dealers who would be happy to give me all the 90% they pick up at the same prices the larger guys would pay. It saves them the time and expense from having to package the stuff up and ship it out.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    I like the walking liberty! I have lots of them but I bought only MS quality ones at spot. Mostly MS 62 and above I got all at spot
    Many successful BST transactions ajia
    (x2,Meltdown),cajun,Swampboy,SeaEagleCoins,InYHWHWeTrust, bstat1020,Spooly,timrutnat,oilstates200, vpr, guitarwes,
    mariner67, and Mikes coins
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,562 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lately the retail demand for junk silver has been picking up, and we are selling all that we buy in over the counter back out at over melt.

And, we are getting an extra premium for BU.

TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    I actually have been buying a lot of circ morgan and peace dollars for a dollar hedge. If you buy original ones, that can also be collected (no culls, cleaned, has a nice patina, etc), then you have a double edge sword - silver content and collectibility. Just 6 months ago I could pick up BU peace for 18 or so and circ morgans for 20, but not anymore. About 24 BU peace and 24-26 for the morgans.
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I like the walking liberty! I have lots of them but I bought only MS quality ones at spot. Mostly MS 62 and above I got all at spot >>

Where?

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I like the walking liberty! I have lots of them but I bought only MS quality ones at spot. Mostly MS 62 and above I got all at spot >>

Where? >>

My neighbor! He had over 90 pounds of them I got them all! (I am greedy) and he needed money for house payments. When the silver price reaches $30.00 I will sell em all to AMPEX!
    Many successful BST transactions ajia
    (x2,Meltdown),cajun,Swampboy,SeaEagleCoins,InYHWHWeTrust, bstat1020,Spooly,timrutnat,oilstates200, vpr, guitarwes,
    mariner67, and Mikes coins
  • Options
    bestmrbestmr Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭
    WOW! Nice!! Share the wealth and sell them on the bst!! image
    Positive dealing with oilstates2003, rkfish, Scrapman1077, Weather11am, Guitarwes, Twosides2acoin, Hendrixkat, Sevensteps, CarlWohlforth, DLBack, zug, wildjag, tetradrachm, tydye, NotSure, AgBlox, Seemyauction, Stopmotion, Zubie, Fivecents, Musky1011, Bstat1020, Gsa1fan several times, and Mkman123 LOTS of times
  • Options
    piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    Like someone requested of me when I flipped over 300 oz. of Gold...how bout a pic?
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Like someone requested of me when I flipped over 300 oz. of Gold...how bout a pic? >>

yes, post pics or it didn't happen image
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,733 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I attempt to pick up a mix of MS 90% quarters and halves; VF/EF WLHs; Mexican Libertads; and US ASEs for as close to spot, or under, as possible. What I buy when I purchase will depend upon what I can locate.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always have prefered superb BU and proof common date modern commemorative silver dollars over circulated morgan and Peace dollars. I remember buying commemorative dollars for $10-$12 just 1 1/2 years ago.
    Common modern commemorative dollars sell for less than circ Morgan & Peace dollars and are struck on the EXACT same weight and finess silver planchets. Also they have alot more variety in design and can also be submitted to PCGS MS/PR70 grades (lottery tickets).image The only drawback is they take up more space in the capsules than raw Morgans. I keep them all in the capsules and can prescreen them for a shot MS/PR70 at PCGS slowly over time.
    I also prefer to buy the PR/MS 1982 George Washington commemorative silver halves for melt.
  • Options

<< <i>Find someone who is selling silver on a routine basis. I've sold some 100 oz bars at 2% under spot to a regional coin dealer over the past 6 weeks. I'm sure if you posted a buy ad on the BST you'd get some results. There are collectors buying and selling all the time. Don't see why you would have to pay anything over spot. I have some local dealers who would be happy to give me all the 90% they pick up at the same prices the larger guys would pay. It saves them the time and expense from having to package the stuff up and ship it out.

roadrunner >>

Thanks...I'll stop by the B@M shop. I'm hesitant to buy on the bullion BST because I don't know many of the folks there, yet. But that's a good idea as well.
  • Options

<< <i>I actually have been buying a lot of circ morgan and peace dollars for a dollar hedge. If you buy original ones, that can also be collected (no culls, cleaned, has a nice patina, etc), then you have a double edge sword - silver content and collectibility. Just 6 months ago I could pick up BU peace for 18 or so and circ morgans for 20, but not anymore. About 24 BU peace and 24-26 for the morgans. >>

I was buying vg peace dollars at around 21.50 when I realized the melt was much lower than that. What's your take on the currect value of VG peace dollars...the 22s 23s, --that is the less sought ones by numismatics??
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks...I'll stop by the B@M shop. I'm hesitant to buy on the bullion BST because I don't know many of the folks there, yet. But that's a good idea as well.

A local B&M shop may not cut you any slack since you'll probably be a smaller/infrequent buyer. You would probably do better trying to find a local vest-pocket dealer who sets up at shows but is pretty active in picking up silver. Ask around, you just might get lucky and develop a good relationship for buying/selling. I for one find it nearly impossible to sell or buy bullion from the local shops. I can do much better with the middlemen who don't have the shops and really have no retail outlet.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    bestmrbestmr Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, the bst or even Apmex would prob be better than a local store. With 90% close to 18x, they are only buying at 15x at my local shop. I didn't care to ask about anything else as it would have been a waste of my time.
    Positive dealing with oilstates2003, rkfish, Scrapman1077, Weather11am, Guitarwes, Twosides2acoin, Hendrixkat, Sevensteps, CarlWohlforth, DLBack, zug, wildjag, tetradrachm, tydye, NotSure, AgBlox, Seemyauction, Stopmotion, Zubie, Fivecents, Musky1011, Bstat1020, Gsa1fan several times, and Mkman123 LOTS of times
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Where? >>

My neighbor! He had over 90 pounds of them I got them all! (I am greedy) and he needed money for house payments. When the silver price reaches $30.00 I will sell em all to AMPEX! >>

Who is AMPEX?

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com