Home Precious Metals
Options

Is it difficult for you guys to buy at this level?

PreTurbPreTurb Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭
Gotta admit, tho being a fan of dollar-cost-averaging, it's tough to pony up at these prices (but I'm still doing it)... What say you?

Comments

• Options
    When it gets to $9.00 I will buy heavy!
    Many successful BST transactions ajia
    (x2,Meltdown),cajun,Swampboy,SeaEagleCoins,InYHWHWeTrust, bstat1020,Spooly,timrutnat,oilstates200, vpr, guitarwes,
    mariner67, and Mikes coins
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Last time I bought gold bullion was in 2009, silver bullion goes back to 2008.

Don't know if or when I'd buy more. Most of my buying since then has been in generic gold and mining stocks. The mining stocks and the smaller denominations in generic gold still seriously lag the bullion. And who knows, it may always stay that way from here.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    greghansengreghansen Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭
    Last silver buy was when it was struggling through 20. Actually doing a little (10%) selling here. Hope my first sale is my 'worst' sale.

Greg Hansen, Melbourne, FL Click here for any current EBAY auctions Multiple "Circle of Trust" transactions over 14 years on forum

• Options
    gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    If I sell coins I buy bullion.
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • Options
    KonaheadKonahead Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭
    Still stacking just in smaller amounts during pull backs. Hoping for one in the next few weeks. image
    PEACE! This is the first day of the rest of your life.

Fred, Las Vegas, NV
  • Options
    tydyetydye Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭
    I have cut back on silver since it hit $20. Doing a little more gold right now.
  • Options
    CiccioCiccio Posts: 1,405

<< <i>I have cut back on silver since it hit $20. Doing a little more gold right now. >>

+1
  • Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've added a bit of gold recently as well. It's tough for me to purchase silver right now, but yesterday I bought two 1-oz rounds.
    As I'm walking to my car, $50 poorer, I couldn't help remembering when I first started piling I was getting 2 for $20.

I am hoping to purchase an original roll of 1983 Onza's tomorrow though. image The seller is a bit reluctant to sell
    becuase they are soooo darn cool in the original paper.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We had somebody buy 15 100-gram gold bars today.
    (That's 48.225 tr. oz. for you Americans)
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got a couple of the AGE proofs, but that's been it since maybe august. Still want more, just have had a lot of expenses pop up, will probably hit silver if it pops around $20 on a dip though. And I still have possession of some $5 silver...waiting for a truck fixit and wedding and reunion break I guess.
  • Options
    rpwrpw Posts: 235 ✭✭
    I have bought 90% coins and SAE's this month as I try to do every month. That's the discipline that makes dollar cost averaging work.
    imageimage Small Size National Bank Note Type Set $5-$100
  • Options
    Just bought ten 1 oz. englehard bars, roll silver 2009 SAE ($23.5 each) and five 2006 1/10 oz. gold liberties ($130 each).
  • Options
    CiccioCiccio Posts: 1,405

<< <i>Just bought ten 1 oz. englehard bars, roll silver 2009 SAE ($23.5 each) and five 2006 1/10 oz. gold liberties ($130 each). >>

With those prices I would buy too!
  • Options
    calleochocalleocho Posts: 1,569 ✭✭
    I Sold all of my second rate silver....war nickels , 40% halves, foreing silver, a good chunck of my 90% and a few sterling items as well.

Now i am down to silver eagles, engelhard bars and some 90%.

"Women should be obscene and not heard. "
    Groucho Marx
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I Sold all of my second rate silver....war nickels , 40% halves, foreing silver, a good chunck of my 90% and a few sterling items as well.

Now i am down to silver eagles, engelhard bars and some 90%. >>

I think it's a GREAT time to clear out the clutter. Odds & ends, bits and pieces in favor of premium stuff. I've seriously considered it myself and may if these prices hold or climb any. And some of you know I don't sell. Ever. So take that how you like it.

As for buying? Yep. $5 half eagle today, that Credit 1/4 ounce earlier this week.
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <Is it difficult for you guys to buy at this level?>

Not at all. It's the dollar shrinking in value that is causing pm's to rise. If anything it should give you comfort that you are turning in shrinking dollars into hard tangible assets. MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    MesquiteMesquite Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭
    I agree with MJ.
    There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.
    –John Adams, 1826
  • Options

<< <i>We had somebody buy 15 100-gram gold bars today.
    (That's 48.225 tr. oz. for you Americans) >>

Precisely. Why is this level any different then the 900 level ? Is it because gold shot up
    from 1150 to 1350+ real fast ? OK, then let it cool off a bit down to around 1250 and let
    the buying begin.
  • Options
    gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I Sold all of my second rate silver....war nickels , 40% halves, foreing silver, a good chunck of my 90% and a few sterling items as well.

Now i am down to silver eagles, engelhard bars and some 90%. >>

I think it's a GREAT time to clear out the clutter. Odds & ends, bits and pieces in favor of premium stuff. I've seriously considered it myself and may if these prices hold or climb any. And some of you know I don't sell. Ever. So take that how you like it.

As for buying? Yep. $5 half eagle today, that Credit 1/4 ounce earlier this week. >>

Trading or swapping for up grades is not sellingimage
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • Options
    dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭✭
    I've slowed down, but still buying.
    > [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&amp;_in_kw=1&amp;_ex_kw=&amp;_sacat=0&amp;_udlo=&amp;_udhi=&amp;_ftrt=901&amp;_ftrv=1&amp;_sabdlo=&amp;_sabdhi=&amp;_samilow=&amp;_samihi=&amp;_sadis=15&amp;_stpos=61611&amp;_sargn=-1&saslc=1&amp;_salic=1&amp;_fss=1&amp;_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&amp;_saslop=1&amp;_sasl=mygirlsthree3&amp;_sop=12&amp;_dmd=1&amp;_ipg=50&amp;_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • Options
    percybpercyb Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭
    Been adding to my position...and stepping it up as we approach economic armagedon. Jeez this is frightening.
    Talk to people on the street. Biz is bad and $ is worth less and less.
    "Poets are the unacknowledged legislators of the world." PBShelley
  • Options
    fishcookerfishcooker Posts: 3,446 ✭✭
    Yes it's tough. I used to budget $1000 and go buy *6* rolls of silver eagles.
  • Options
    halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭
    DIFFICULT ? ! ? !

It hurts like HELL ! ! ! image

But since I'm addicted to silver, I bought a tube of ASEs at a small show last weekend for $500 . . . Just to quell the shakes . . . OUCH ! ! !

HH
    Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!
  • Options
    Yah its hard. Because I have run out of money!
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Remember all the hesitancy when gold got back up to $800 and silver went over $10?
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    I sold almost all of my PM's, mostly .999 & 90% silver, because I was convinced $24 was the top after bouncing and retreating off it 4 times in the last week...then today happens. Theres a coin show Sunday and I'm debating if Im a buyer or to sell off the rest of what I have. I am the definition of torn right now.
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm still buying silver art bars, but only those with a numismatic value build in with their bullion value.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    I may be a fool, but I purchased 350 oz today. I tried buying 2 monster boxes Tuesday, but the private seller backed out. Over the next couple of weeks I will be buying by the wheel barrow. I think we'll be seeing it break thru 25 oz and hold in the next couple weeks. I'm loading up before it hits 30 oz. I think it will happen sooner than most think, I just have a freaky feeling about Silver that I haven't had in several years. I just don't see that we're anywhere close to a bubble yet. The price is more than justified based upon the underlying problems in the economy. I don't know of anyone in my day to day life, besides me loading up, certainly not the common man. We're a long ways from a bubble IMHO. I think it will hit 30 before 20.

On the other hand, I did clear out most the odds and ends. Nickels / 40 percent and foreign coins. Too hard to keep track of and need to make room for the better stuff.

Edited to say .......
    I'm far from an expert and not nearly as knowledable as most on the boards here. I'm operating on my own opinions and gut instincts based upon life's experiences. Don't follow me in the Lion cage unless you're willing to loose money as well as potential to gain 20% over the next couple months.
  • Options
    HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    This still doesn't feel like a top in prices yet to me, we haven't even hit the Fed induced inflation yet. Inflation right now is under 1% and the economy grew less than expected so they will do more quantitative easing which boosts prices.

I have most of my "silver" in liquid assets so I can sell when the stock market is open, I would go into as liquid silver as you can get to sell quickly if this is speculation. If it is a buy for dollar destruction then buying at $20 or $24 won't have much difference in the end.

PS The Fed meeting next week may be a turning point though, if they go with QE2 less than expected silver and gold may pull back, if they go with more it may hold prices or even boost them. That is why i say be ready to trade if one is nervous.
  • Options
    It is difficult for me, because I feel we're going sideways for a few months. On top of that we have the upcoming
    elections, which may result in a stock market rise, along with a PM pause.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not that difficult to find bargains on eBay. Lots of sellers don't know how to list their PM's. Just picked up a 3 toz silver medal for $62.50 + free shipping.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I sold almost all of my PM's, mostly .999 & 90% silver, because I was convinced $24 was the top after bouncing and retreating off it 4 times in the last week...then today happens. Theres a coin show Sunday and I'm debating if Im a buyer or to sell off the rest of what I have. I am the definition of torn right now.

Silver has a lot of strength and is bouncing back to test the $25 level. It may even surge past it a ways. But these cup type formations almost always need to have a pullback or consolidation tacked on to them, even if it's just sideways movement over time. Just note that gold and copper are still a ways away from their previous peaks. Silver doesn't usually go on alone.

I don't agree that 90% is just "stuff." It's very recognizeable among Americans and the chances of it being fake are pretty slim. The premiums on 100 oz bars have shrunk. And 90% coins are far easier to use vs. large bars if that time ever comes. Old silver dimes will be much easier to use that ASE's. Though admittedly, the chances of ever having the need to use them for change in bartering still appears slim at the present time. But never say never.

roadrunner

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    Still buying on the dips. Picked up 1 oz JM bar last Saturday for $24 at local B&M. I still haven't pulled the trigger on moving some stocks from TECH and Health Sector to Gold stock. Looks like Republicans will do well on Tuesday, if so, I expect a jump up in the stock market, so I'll wait for that event. Going to Gold sector soon. I've been selling stocks for a year, taking some profits, making other investments, up 20% image
  • Options
    we have a local bid board that has weekly auctions. closes at 2pm and you can hardly get near the board. They go crazy over a cleaned 2c piece but circ $'s sold yesterday for 17/18 dollars. I picked up a limited edition Chicago Bulls set 3-1oz .999 rounds for $21 an oz. I buy when I can get good deals.
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I buy PMs as a store of value, and usually when I've accumulated enough cash. The price isn't a huge factor unless I think I know something that gives me a good reason to speculate or to time the purchase. PMs are my savings/retirement account. I feel much more confident about my savings than I did when I owned stocks & mutual funds as my primary assets.

Frankly, I can't wait until the next time that I have enough money together to make a purchase worthwhile. It blows my mind every time I track a BU roll of silver dimes on ebay that sells for $80 or $100. Who ever expected that?

I love the itch of having enough cash so that I can go shopping for some PMs, because then I get to start sifting through all of the possibilities for that special deal that will come back to pay me handsomely when I need it most.

It's a nice payoff when you start by looking for financial stability and then discover that you've actually been doing the right thing all along. Difficult to buy at this level? Nah, it's all relative when the dollar is the problem. Don't lose your focus.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always keep buying into asset classes that have had multi-year bull runs.

every time, I hope "this time it's different" and that asymptotic growth in values will continue indefinitely

one of these times, I'm going to be right image

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I always keep buying into asset classes that have had multi-year bull runs.

every time, I hope "this time it's different" and that asymptotic growth in values will continue indefinitely

one of these times, I'm going to be right image >>

It's quite possible we are in the bottom of the third inning. MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,504 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>When it gets to $9.00 I will buy heavy! >>

ill second the motion
  • Options
    I know it doesn't really matter but part of me just hates to but silver rounds for 23/24. I shifted most of my silver purchases to circulated silver dollars. I just feel better paying 18-20 per coin. I think the downside may be a bit less here.

Think is the operative term. Also, I am sure there is less upside unless silver really pops to about 30-40 bucks.
    Many buy and sell transactions. Let's talk!