Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1982 Topps Traded Cal Ripken Rookie Card

I saw no older thread on this so I will create one.

This is one of the most sought after post-1980s rookie card and its something I have always wanted to own. I recall in the early 90s, a raw Ripken rookie was bought by a dealer for $175 from a customer at a card show. The dealer told me that he never saw one in this nice a condition and went for it.

Last year (2009), I saw the Ripkens in PSA 9 go for $120-140. That was a better deal than what the dealer paid referenced above and reveals the downward trend in value of the card. Taking the recession into account, I figure $100 would be a good price. Never found one at that price. It would be a nice card to have, but by no means is it a must.

Now I look on ebay and the completed auctions have this card sold at $140-160. The card is actually going up even with this economy. I never would have predicted this because modern cards are vulnerable in dropping value as more and more get graded.

"So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee

Comments

• Options
    Here is the entire TRADED set for $130...
    1982 Topps Traded Set
  • Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    I would plan on that Ripken being EX at best...

stay away...

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    I bought mine for $9 at a card show... in 1987, when I was 11 years old. It was dead-centered and sharp. Kept that thing in a screw case until 2007 when I subbed it to PSA, and got a PSA 9. That's one card that will never leave my collection, even if/when I upgrade to a 10.

Speaking of this card in PSA 10. I bet this sells for over a grand. It baffles me to see someone selling high-end cards with such crappy pics. He's selling this Bobby Orr also. Craziness...
  • Options
    rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I paid $150 for my 9 last year. Easily worth it, one of the iconic cards of my youth.
    Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Isn't that his second card?

The appeal is it's his first appearance alone?

I agree, the person selling that 10 needs a better pic.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
    Love this card. If I had 10 of them, I wouldnt have enough in my book. I just purchased a PSA 9 from board member (GOLDLabels) for $150 delivered. Excellent card. I am on the lookout for a PSA 10 as well. Should I have purchased the one that Steve at BBCE had a couple months ago. Oh well.
  • Options
    What's the VCP on 10s these days? I thought it was around $1200. I'm not in the market for one these days, so I haven't been paying attention.
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    I bought myself a PSA 8. It looks like a 9 easy. I paid 90 for it and very pleased. It will eventually be cracked and sent to be signed! Probably next spring or summer I'll do that.
  • Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭
    the 82 Fleer is much more desirable IMO. The spectacular, cutting edge card design and the crystal clear photograph make this card a must-own.
  • Options
    Sadly enough, that card is tough to find in PSA 10, much harder than the rest. Sells for double or triple the Donruss RC. About the same cost as a base Topps in 10. Ugly card.
  • Options
    hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Now I look on ebay and the completed auctions have this card sold at $140-160. The card is actually going up even with this economy. I never would have predicted this because modern cards are vulnerable in dropping value as more and more get graded. >>

Sales of the Ripken TT probably shouldn't be used to indicate where the hobby is headed
    Demand for cards like that (or the '75 Brett RC or the '80 Henderson RC for ex.) will usually be strong enough to work against any trend happening in the hobby
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭

<< <i>the 82 Fleer is much more desirable IMO. The spectacular, cutting edge card design and the crystal clear photograph make this card a must-own. >>

dripping with.......
  • Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Isn't that his second card?

The appeal is it's his first appearance alone?

I agree, the person selling that 10 needs a better pic.

Steve >>

Yes--it's Cal's "solo rookie", and the overall design is quite appealing too.
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    $140-160 means the price has dropped a little. Two years ago it was $175-200.

Got a really nice regular Topps Ripken RC PSA 9 for $40 the other day...was around $75.

Same trend as all 80s rookies in high grades (ignoring the steroid users, that are like 1/10th value).

Another example, Mattingly 84 Topps PSA 10...was always $100, now $65-75.

Don't really see these trends continuing much, as these are really hard cards to get high grades in.

Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options

<< <i>the 82 Fleer is much more desirable IMO. The spectacular, cutting edge card design and the crystal clear photograph make this card a must-own. >>

I thought the 1982 Fleer cards were notorious for their VERY fuzzy out of focus photos?
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options

<< <i>$140-160 means the price has dropped a little. Two years ago it was $175-200.

Got a really nice regular Topps Ripken RC PSA 9 for $40 the other day...was around $75.

Same trend as all 80s rookies in high grades (ignoring the steroid users, that are like 1/10th value).

Another example, Mattingly 84 Topps PSA 10...was always $100, now $65-75.

Don't really see these trends continuing much, as these are really hard cards to get high grades in. >>

At those prices, apparently not THAT really hard.
    WISHLIST
  • Options

<< <i>

I thought the 1982 Fleer cards were notorious for their VERY fuzzy out of focus photos? >>

They are... I think he was being sarcastic. At least I hope he was being sarcastic. Any time I've pulled one of those cards from a pack, it looks like someone wiped their butt with it.
  • Options
    hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

I thought the 1982 Fleer cards were notorious for their VERY fuzzy out of focus photos? >>

They are... I think he was being sarcastic. At least I hope he was being sarcastic. Any time I've pulled one of those cards from a pack, it looks like someone wiped their butt with it. >>

Agree. The pictures in that set all look like they were shot by a 6-yr-old in the stands with a Kodak Instamatic
  • Options
    i picked up a mega nice BGS 8.5 back in 2008 for $105 that doesnt have the printers dot. for those that know the card, know what im talking about.
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭
    That is by far my favorite Ripken card and probably my favorite 80s baseball card.

With all the excess supply of modern stuff out there, I think 80s and 90s era cards have nowhere to go but down. However, with this being in the traded sets (no wax packs), maybe this will buck the trend. Anyone know how many traded sets were produced that year?

• Options
    its also in the top 5 of 80's base topps rookie cards

Gretzky (could argue this is a 70s release)
    Bird/Magic
    Ripken Traded
    Montana
    Henderson
  • Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭✭
    In case anyone cares, Cal told me that the 82F rookie card picture was taken in West Palm Beach
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    I wish there was a price chart to see the hills and valleys for this card the last 10 years at least.

I can believe the Ripken rookie being one of the exceptions to the general rule of 80s rookie cards declining in value due to the recession or as more get graded.

I am pretty sure more Ripken rookies got graded as the totals for PSA 9s indicate. The steroid scandal has likely helped the Ripken rookie even more as fans and collectors abandoned the steroid tainted heroes for ones that were genuine all along.
    "So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

• Options
  • Options
    jimradjimrad Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

I pulled this from a pack
    Positive transactions with: Bkritz,Bosox1976,Brick,captainthreeputt,cpettimd,craigger,cwazzy,DES1984,Dboneesq,daddymc,Downtown1974,EAsports,EagleEyeKid,fattymacs,gameusedhoop,godblessUSA,goose3,KatsCards,mike22y2k,
    MULLINS5,1966CUDA,nam812,nightcrawler,OAKESY25,PowderedH2O,relaxed,RonBurgundy,samsgirl214,shagrotn77,swartz1,slantycouch,Statman,Wabittwax
  • Options
    jimradjimrad Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭
    and this
    Positive transactions with: Bkritz,Bosox1976,Brick,captainthreeputt,cpettimd,craigger,cwazzy,DES1984,Dboneesq,daddymc,Downtown1974,EAsports,EagleEyeKid,fattymacs,gameusedhoop,godblessUSA,goose3,KatsCards,mike22y2k,
    MULLINS5,1966CUDA,nam812,nightcrawler,OAKESY25,PowderedH2O,relaxed,RonBurgundy,samsgirl214,shagrotn77,swartz1,slantycouch,Statman,Wabittwax
  • Options
    Those are very nice Fleer Ripkens, but the photo is inherently fuzzy. I don't think sharp ones even exist. This is just how this Fleer issue was and I don't think you will lose out on a possible psa 9 because of it. Donruss has sharper photos than topps during the 80s, but that does not mean there are no 10s or 9s for 1980s Topps issues.

• Options
    corvette1340corvette1340 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭
    This thread made me pull the trigger on this one. I think this will get cracked and sent. Has potential.

Edit: just realized that the one pictured is not the one I'll be receiving. My bad for not looking closer at the description. Who the @#$% lists an auction with a picture that isn't of the exact card? Oh well, any 9 will always bring what I paid, but the only reason I bought this one is because it was dead centered.

'82 Ripken TT PSA 9
  • Options
    Hey corvette1340, that auction you won does not receive the card in the picture just FYI.
  • Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭
    description says you're not getting the one pictured.

edited to ask a ques.....can you see qualifiers when you look up a card by it's cert number?
  • Options

<< <i>description says you're not getting the one pictured.

edited to ask a ques.....can you see qualifiers when you look up a card by it's cert number? >>

it says it has no qualifiers. Guy has good feedback and included a question at the bottom where someone asked that and he says it has no qualifiers and is dead centered. Not sure why anyone would list like that though. Again, if it comes and it isn't dead centered, then it was totally my fault for not looking closer at the auction. It just amazes me that people would list a card that isn't the actual card. If it isn't as good as the one pictured then its deception and I'll never deal with this seller again and if it IS as good as the one pictured then he left about $20+ dollars on the table, imo.
  • Options
    I checked the cert. # and it doesn't have qualifiers.
  • Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,243 ✭✭✭✭✭
    come on now. I think a few people on here will argue. Why cant the seller try and make a buck.
    JK agree with tyou corvett
  • Options
    brendanb438brendanb438 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭
    Well hell just do what 2 different buyers did to me this week. Throw a shat fit demanding a refund, start a eBay case, and the seller will have no choice but to take the item back. I love eBay.

I told off both of these buyers (after they left me positive feedback), the one was upset that an auto baseball I sold wasn't a Rawlings MLB ball. Clearly pictured that it wasn't, was not listed as being a MLB ball, even stated it was from when the player was in college yet this person still cried a bunch demanding a refund. If I didn't comply there goes my 100% feedback from the last decade.

The other person has been clearly scamming sellers with the old "these cards are in way worse condition then you listed" so give me 50% off or a full refund or I will neg you. Issued full refund, he left positive feedback, then I called him out with the feedback I left him.

F eBay. I really wish we had a better option.

Really though if that Ripken looks like a poor 9 in any way I would demand a refund and eBay would back you 100%.
  • Options

<< <i>Well hell just do what 2 different buyers did to me this week. Throw a shat fit demanding a refund, start a eBay case, and the seller will have no choice but to take the item back. I love eBay.

I told off both of these buyers (after they left me positive feedback), the one was upset that an auto baseball I sold wasn't a Rawlings MLB ball. Clearly pictured that it wasn't, was not listed as being a MLB ball, even stated it was from when the player was in college yet this person still cried a bunch demanding a refund. If I didn't comply there goes my 100% feedback from the last decade.

The other person has been clearly scamming sellers with the old "these cards are in way worse condition then you listed" so give me 50% off or a full refund or I will neg you. Issued full refund, he left positive feedback, then I called him out with the feedback I left him.

F eBay. I really wish we had a better option.

Really though if that Ripken looks like a poor 9 in any way I would demand a refund and eBay would back you 100%. >>

you're probably right, but it was my fault that I didn't read the description. I'll just never deal with him again if it is a really bad 9. Either way, I'll still get my money back through selling it again, but I bought it with the hopes of cracking and resubbing. I'm not gonna worry a lot about $140, it's just not a good selling practice, imo.
  • Options
    mexpo75mexpo75 Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭
    I was looking at that card and when I asked the seller a question he told me the picture was not the card I would get but an exact one. When I asked him how it could be exact one he told me not to bid on it. If you are selling something why not state that the card you are bidding on is not the one pictured.
    PackManInNC
  • Options
    Look, the biggest crooks are the ones that use the law and pen.

This seller clearly stated that he is using a "stock photo" so he is off the hook if customers thought they would be getting the item exactly as pictured.

He follows the rules, but it is clear from the winning bidder that his auction is misleading at best, and deceptive at worst. If you have to search carefully in regards to information on the card, the seller is using the full extent of the advertising law to be within legal limits, but at the same time maximizing his deception.

When you get the card, Corvette1340, and it does not look like the dead centered card you wanted, then I would call the seller on his promise that it would be the exact same card. You cannot really have stock photos of PSA graded cards because each one has a different serial number and looks different, ever so slightly. Small differences are huge differences to the collector, which makes them all the more significant. I know you do not want to make a case out of this, but one email to the seller is the least you can do if the item does not turn out that well. The seller should then offer a partial refund if it truely is not as described or perhaps a full refund if he is way off.

The price you paid was reasonable and I think any decent PSA 9 will get $140 at least on any day. I think you did not lose money as it stands, but let us wait and see.

• Options
    twileytwiley Posts: 1,923

<< <i>I bought mine for $9 at a card show... in 1987, when I was 11 years old. It was dead-centered and sharp. Kept that thing in a screw case until 2007 when I subbed it to PSA, and got a PSA 9. That's one card that will never leave my collection, even if/when I upgrade to a 10.

Speaking of this card in PSA 10. I bet this sells for over a grand. It baffles me to see someone selling high-end cards with such crappy pics. He's selling this Bobby Orr also. Craziness... >>

Nice call. I went for over the 1100ish as you had expected.
  • Options
    Got the "mystery" PSA 9 Ripken Traded. It's not quite dead centered but it's still a nice 9. I won't complain, but I'll never do business with the seller again regardless.

• Options
    MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
    Nice card Tommy
  • Options
    It's a great card. I don't have one. But one of these days...

-Along with the 1984 fleer update set
    -The 80 Topps Henderson
    -The 81 Topps Montana rc
    -The 80/81 Bird Magic rookie
    And the gretzky rookie

I ignored these cards for a long time. They were high in the 90's. But it seems like they aren't going to go down as much as other 80's rookies, that are steroid tainted.
  • Options
    thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Got the "mystery" PSA 9 Ripken Traded. It's not quite dead centered but it's still a nice 9. I won't complain, but I'll never do business with the seller again regardless.

image >>

Tommy, that is a really nice 9. I know your motive was to crack and go for the 10, but you never know with this one. Are you just pissed about the seller posting a stock photo?

• Options
    I think it is nice as well.

Should be pretty easy to make a quick $10-20 if that is your desire, meaning if you don't like the card.
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    I bought it based on the photo which I didn't realize was a stock photo. I take all the blame because I should have read the description, but I'm sure there are a lot of people that just assume sellers will post photos of the actual item. That only makes sense for both the buyer and the seller. The buyer knows what he is buying and because of that he will be more confident and bid more on the item. It's the same as a seller posting crappy pictures or a limited number of pictures.

But, as I said, it was clearly my fault because I didn't read the description.

That being said, I don't like it when sellers do this type of thing, either by trying to be deceptive or ignorance.
  • Options
    That is a good psa 9. Most people will think it is centered. It is difficult to tell because the L-R do not look alike--different border.

• Options
    Thats a really nice looking 9. it looks as though it was graded a while back.