Home Sports Talk

Lincecum wins epic battle of Aces; GIANTS WIN THE 2010 WORLD SERIES!!!!!!!!!

Once again, the Giants face a high-octane offensive team.

During the 2010 regular season, the Giants ranked 17th in MLB in runs scored. The Rangers ranked 5th.

However, the Giants pitching ranks 2nd in MLB in fewest runs allowed, while the Rangers ranked 11th.

In contrast, the vanquished Phillies ranked 7th in runs and 5th in runs allowed, and the vanquished Yankees ranked 1st and 13th, respectively.

However, I'd venture to say that the biggest advantage that the Rangers have is... Bengie Molina. He pretty much raised the Giants pitching staff. He also briefly mentored the Giants current catcher, Buster Posey, prior to his departure. I don't know if this sort of stuff matters in an era where there's hours upon hours of film for players to study, but if Posey hasn't changed things up significantly, the Giants might loose the pitching advantage.
My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25

Comments

• MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,580 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What happened statistically yesterday has no bearing on what will happen tomorrow. You can cite all the numbers you want, but each game is an independent event. If the Phillies and Giants played again today, the score would undoubtedly be different and with different results...it's who's the better team that day. I do think the Rangers have the edge.

Hopefully it'll be an exciting WS and even more hopefully, the "local icon" will be booked elsewhere for the singing of GBA.
  • digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭

<< <i>What happened statistically yesterday has no bearing on what will happen tomorrow. You can cite all the numbers you want, but each game is an independent event. If the Phillies and Giants played again today, the score would undoubtedly be different and with different results...it's who's the better team that day. I do think the Rangers have the edge. >>

I know that numbers don't dictate anything, but they give a hint.

Then again, Cody Ross played the month of September as a backup to Jose Guillen.

<< <i>Hopefully it'll be an exciting WS and even more hopefully, the "local icon" will be booked elsewhere for the singing of GBA. >>

Didn't you hear, she'll be singing GBA at Fenway next season. image

ok, that did it, I'm pulling for the Rangers. image
  • GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭
    Get ready for C. Lee

<< <i>Get ready for C. Lee >>

Think they'll hype the Lincecum vs Lee match-up as heavily as they did the Lincecum vs Halladay one?

They should because Lee is better than Halladay.
  • bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭
    Rich, I think its safe to say your offense has picked it up during the post season. Should be a great Series.

Go Rangers!

-brian
    The Game 1 starting lineup:

imageimageimageimageimage
    imageimageimageimage

Rich,

GL with the Giants tonight and throughout the WS. I can promise you, it will pass more quickly than you will believe...savor every pitch, you may even want to collect the newspapers along the way.

I remember vividly when the Red Sox finally did it in 2004. A miraculous comeback against the Yankees after being down 3 games and finally they won the WS. Hundreds and hundreds of Red Sox WS win pennants were placed at gravesites of those long suffering fans who never got to see the Red Sox win. More than baseball, it was an emotional relief that can only be realized by having your team accomplish the year-long goal of winning the WS. I've had the pleasure of being in Fenway many a day with my dad and saw Ted Williams, Mickey Mantle and other great ballplayers. Having the Red Sox win the WS was really unbelievable.

Cubs fans will hopefully one day soon know the thrill of how the Red Sox fans felt back then, and of course again in 2007.

I think you've got a pretty darn good team, but I think the Rangers have the edge...karma is in the air!!! If the Giants do win, do whatever it takes to make it to the parade...a moment you will never forget.

Again, GL.
    Al - mcmlvtopps
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Good luck to both teams and their fans.

Me? I'm blacked out.

Steve
    Good for you.
    2010 NL Champion SF Giants (1) vs the Rangers (0): World Series Game 1: Giants shell Cliff Lee, out-hit the Ranger

Game 1 in the books. Who would have guessed that Cliff Lee would get owned by the Giants? Wow. I'll take it!

9th inning bullpen mini-meltdown by the Giants has me worried, but with a 7 run lead in the 9th, I guess they got a little sloppy.

• vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    congrats digi
  • thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    Congrats Digicat
    Buying US Presidential autographs
    The Giants are rolling right now.
    Game 1 Heroes (rookie cards)...

Freddy Sanchez went 4-5 with 3 doubles, 3 RBI, and 2 runs. Juan OOOOOOO-REEE-BAY hit a 3 run jack.

imageimage

The Game 2 starting lineup. Same order, but now with Matt "Shotgun" Cain.

"Shotgun" isn't an official nickname, but it's frequently used on SF radio station KNBR 680. I don't really know why. I think they just decided that he needed a nickname.

imageimageimageimage

• 20 runs in the first two games. The pitching ain't half bad either.
    2010 NL Champion SF Giants (2) vs the Rangers (0): World Series Game 2: Cain Dominates; Giants destroy Ranger bullpen

Cliff Lee? Roy Halladay? Roy Oswalt? Tim Lincecum? No, wrong answer.

MATT CAIN!

NLDS Game 2 = 6.2 ip, 7 hits, 2 walks, 0 earned (1 unearned)
    NLCS Game 3 = 7 ip, 2 hits, 3 walks, 0 earned
    World Series Game 2 = 7.2 ip, 4 hits, 2 walks, 0 earned

It was a close 2-0 game in the bottom of the 8th, then the Rangers bullpen imploded, walking 4 straight (after a basehit) to hand the Giants 2 runs, then got torched with 3 consecutive hits: a single, a triple, and a double.

Giants chase Rangers back to Texas, up 2-0 in the World Series.

Game 2 Heroes (rookie cards)...

Matt Cain dominated the potent Rangers lineup with 7.2 scoreless innings; Edgar Renteria got the Giants on the board in the 5th with a solo-shot, then added another 2 in the 8th on a single.

imageimage

Giants look really really good right now.
    The Game 3 starting lineup. Huff moves up, Edgar moves back, and with the DH rule in effect, Pablo Sandoval comes off the bench and gets inserted in the 8 hole.

Hopefully Panda forgot to pack his "suck" on this road trip.

imageimageimageimage

2010 NL Champion SF Giants (2) vs the Rangers (1): World Series Game 3: The suckage of Jonathan Sanchez continues

Jonathan Sanchez has been a mess in the NLCS and the World Series so far.

Game 3 Goats:

Jonathan "Chernobyl" Sanchez and Pat "Golden Sombrero" Burrell

imageimage

Fun fact.. Pat's 0-9 with 8 strikeouts in the first 3 games of the World Series.

8 K's sould be a demotion to the bench
    Must be that hair and his boyish good looks that keeps him in the lineup, or something.

Sigh. "Torture" is the theme of this year's Giants team, but still, regardless of past success, I find myself bracing for utter disaster at every sign of trouble.

The Game 4 starting lineup. Panda's out, Burrell gets a day off. Huff gets to DH, which means Travis Ishikawa starts at 1st, and with Burrell out, Ross moves over to LF while Nate Schierholtz gets a start in right.

This is a "must win game" for both teams. If the Giants win today, and we only need to win one of the ace matchups (Lincecum vs Lee in Texas, Cain vs Wilson in SF). Jonathan Sanchez is scheduled to pitch in Game 7, if it gets that far. Giants coaches sound like they've lost all faith in his ability to snap out of his funk, so any Game 7 situation will likely be MadBum on short rest with the whole bullpen warmed up and ready to go.

Stop it Digicat, bad cat! Get off the chair! No Game 7 talk.
    Country boy Madison needs to cowboy up and tame those Texas bats, then Timmy can worry about it on Monday.

I want Fringe to come back on Thursday nights, and I want to watch it with a smile!

imageimageimageimage

• That was ONE HELL of a catch by Hamilton to end the inning. If he doesn't make that catch, at least one run scores, maybe two and of course the inning goes on. Really Hamilton's catch was the 4th out of the inning because as the replays showed The Rangers really did turn that double play. Again, GREAT catch!!
  • HallcoHallco Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mad Bum!!! image
    2010 NL Champion SF Giants (3) vs the Rangers (1): World Series Game 4: MadBum DOMINATES Rangers

Awesome. MadBum needed to step up, and the 21 year old rookie did it, 8 shutout innings, with Brian Wilson handling a 1-2-3 9th.

Game 4 Heroes (rookie cards)...

MadBum was the lightning, and Aubrey Huff brought the thunder with a 2 run shot to put the Giants on the board first. Also, Freddy Sanchez backed up Bumgarner with some amazing defense at second.

imageimage

Props to the Giants so far
  • RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    Giants have a gritty, tough, smart baseball team. They are making all the plays right now, if they were to blow this 3-1 lead - which feels like 6-1 - it would be the biggest bag of epic fail this side of NYY 2004.
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • 57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    digicat

Go Giants.

I know a real real good baseball guy (IMHO) who picked the Giants albeit when the post season began to win it all. He says they will win in six.

BTW do the Rangers have their #2 starter availabe who needed to superglue his finger?

<< <i>BTW do the Rangers have their #2 starter availabe who needed to superglue his finger? >>

From the interviews, it sounds like the blister was a reoccuring issue with Wilson, and he just keeps supergluing and pitching well. He said that if it had ruptured near the end of an inning, he would have just gutted it out and fixed himself up in the dugout between innings. But, since he started an inning by walking someone, and superglue isn't a legimate on-field medical treatment, he had to come out because he couldn't grip the ball propperly to throw his pitches and didn't think he could get 3 outs.

Lincecum has his own blister issues this post-season that have made him less than dominant since his 14k shutout in Game 1 of the NLDS. I don't know how he treats it, but in the NLCS, they showed closeups of Lincecum in the dugout with nail clippers cutting and BITING at his finger.

The Game 5 starting lineup. Ishikawa and Schierholtz out. Rowand in at Center, shifting Torres to right. Huff back in at first, and Pat the Bat in as the DH. The batting order gets a slight makeover too.

Giants won the NLDS in Atlanta. They won the NLCS in Philly. Now they have a chance to win the World Series in Arlington.

Lets do it boys, bring a championship back with you from Texas!

imageimageimageimage

• I think Cliff Lee guts out a tough win tonight, but we shall see. i still want the Giants to win though!
  • Edgar!! He's been coming up big with the bat all postseason.
    Looks like we will have a new WS champ tonight.
  • Congrats Digicat and all the other Giant fans.
  • twileytwiley Posts: 1,923
    To the Giants!
  • itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    wow. what a special year for the Gigantes, congrats to them and all their fans, it's good to see the NL back on top.
  • vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    Congrats Digi.
  • awesome performance by the Giants this post season!
  • Digi, remember all those times I told you to step back from the ledge?

Just sayin.... image

CONGRATS!
  • HallcoHallco Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    FEAR THE BEARD!!!! And Digicat...you were concerned that they were not even going to make it into the post season! imageimage Congrats to The Giants for a fantastic season!
  • GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    A well earned championship.

I'm really pleased for Edgar. He's a pro's pro and he proved it in this series.
    Lincecum wins epic battle of Aces; GIANTS WIN THE 2010 WORLD SERIES!!!!!!!!!

Tonight was the Epic Battle of Ace Pitchers that everyone's been waiting for.

I watched the game at home with my 2 year old daughter and my wife. That was an awesome game. The game moved so quickly that my 2 year old daughter got to watch the final out before bed time.

Lincecum D-O-M-I-N-A-T-E-D with 10 strikeouts, giving up only 3 hits (1 being a homer).

6 innings of mutual domination, then in the 7th against the "invincible" Cliff Lee: Ross singled, Uribe singled, Huff laid down a perfect sac bunt, Pat went flat, then Edgar Renteria, a guy who spent most of the season on the bench with injuries and retirement looming after the season, stepped up and blasted a 3 run blast that gave the Giants all the runs they'd need.

Fortunately Brian Wilson was the "No Drama, All Business" Brian Wilson, retiring Josh Hamilton, Vlad Guerrero, and Nelson Cruz in order.

Game 5 Heroes (rookie cards)...
    Tim Lincecum continued the Giants domination of Texas' lineup, surrendering only 3 hits (one being a homer). World Series MVP Edgar Renteria provided his 2nd game winning hit of the series with a clutch 3 run bomb with 2 outs in the 7th to give the Giants all they'd need.

imageimage

• Congratulations! Awesome game!
  • stevekstevek Posts: 27,575 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Big congrats to the Giants and their fans.
  • SOMSOM Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭
    I'm so glad we didn't do it when Bonds was on the team. This victory is so, so sweet...without him!
  • thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    Congrats Digicat, if you want one of my ticketmaster type ticketsstubs from tonight's game (I've got mine and Maven's and don't mind sharing one), shoot me a PM with your address and I'll eventually get it out to you. We searched one whole section after the game trying to find you one of the nice World Series large season ticket holder type stubs, but I guess everyone kept them or someone else beat us to it. Offer only good to Digicat and not other Giants fans as he was the one that had his thread up all year.

Mike
    Buying US Presidential autographs
    PM sent. image

<< <i>And Digicat...you were concerned that they were not even going to make it into the post season >>

2010 Giants Baseball: TORTURE!

When a team has one of the best pitching staffs in MLB, but a below-average offense, you can imagine how much anxiety gets generated when you wonder "Will the Giants actually score a run?"

There was nothing "below average" about the way they managed to get clutch hits off of elite pitchers like Tim Hudson, the Phillies' H2O, and Cliff Lee in this post season, while Lincecum, Cain, and Bumgarner out pitched everyone.

In my 21 years of being a Giants fan, this was the BEST SEASON EVER!