Home Metal Detecting

Oct 18, 2010 Finds: 1797 Draped Bust Large Cent

pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭✭
Got back to the same field. It's slow going, but after about an hour got a 12-46 reading on the e-trac, which is usually a quarter reading (and large cents, but I never assume a large cent). Couldn't id then and there, but after a quick rinse... 1797! Used some hydrogen peroxide and it did a good job. May soak more later. It's not pretty, but still a nice keeper.

Also picked up a 1927 Buffalo nickel, broken 1800s button, and a possible musketball.

HH all!

Comments

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As an MD find.. it IS pretty...... well done. That field is really giving up some nice stuff. HH Cheers, RickO
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,374 ✭✭✭✭✭
    coool find. that field is treating you pretty good image
  • kevinstangkevinstang Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭
    Wow, great finds from that site-now you just need to find the 1799 and maybe a chain cent in that field! image
  • ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    I found one of these, an 1806, but when I put it in olive oil the date disappeared. -Dan
  • ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    Very nice find though!
  • pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I found one of these, an 1806, but when I put it in olive oil the date disappeared. -Dan >>

oh man, sorry to hear that! that's one of the tough things about early coppers. I didn't even try cleaning the 1798 I found before this because I'm almost certain it'd be a blank disc!

On another detecting forum, one member was talking how he found a chain cent somewhere in the woods. Upon rinsing it in a nearby puddle... all of the remaining detail came off. Can you imagine losing a chain cent? ouch!
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,374 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I found one of these, an 1806, but when I put it in olive oil the date disappeared. -Dan >>

oh man, sorry to hear that! that's one of the tough things about early coppers. I didn't even try cleaning the 1798 I found before this because I'm almost certain it'd be a blank disc!

On another detecting forum, one member was talking how he found a chain cent somewhere in the woods. Upon rinsing it in a nearby puddle... all of the remaining detail came off. Can you imagine losing a chain cent? ouch! >>

that would be a major bummer image