Home Metal Detecting

If any of you search trails how do you

AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭✭
determine where the campsites were? I mean, Chisholm, Spanish, Mormon, Oregon Trail, etc.

I've been detecting the Spanish Trail/Mormon Trail and have yet to figure out where they camped
for the evenings. Perhaps there are no established sites, as each train might have made different
miles every day and thus not be able to use the the same campsites.
What I don't find is charcoal, campfire residue, etc. Thought that I should be seeing some of that.
Been searching the trail for over 5 years now. Nothing but nails, oxen half tree parts, wagon parts,
nuts and bolts and little stuff like horse shoes (poorly made in comparison to the ones made today).
I've covered about 15 miles now and have yet to determine a site.
Oh well, fun but no rewards, yet! I do get a good tan and get to see a bit of wildlife like the falcon
that caught a small wren like bird and ate it while I ate my snack. No more that 15 feet away. We
enjoyed the snacks together!
Have eaten lunch with a tarantula a foot away that decided to sun on the rock next to me. Also lots
of wild mustangs and burros, the occasional coyote and skunk!
bob image
Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), [email protected]

Comments

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would say you are doing extremely well. As far as campfires etc go, realize how long ago that was, and between weather, soil erosion, wind, animal/human traffic, it is unlikely you would find such evidence. If you find a likely spot, the fire residues are probably buried or long since scattered widely. What you are finding is significant. Not sure how much more you are looking for, or what you would expect to find at such a site. Great wildlife encounters. Cheers, RickO
  • Maybe there is a written diary somewhere that may detail how many miles traveled on any given day. Though their odometer may have been off a little.
    "If I had a nickel for every nickel I ever had, I'd have all my nickels back".
  • AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I would say you are doing extremely well. As far as campfires etc go, realize how long ago that was, and between weather, soil erosion, wind, animal/human traffic, it is unlikely you would find such evidence. If you find a likely spot, the fire residues are probably buried or long since scattered widely. What you are finding is significant. Not sure how much more you are looking for, or what you would expect to find at such a site. Great wildlife encounters. Cheers, RickO >>

Yes, scattered to the winds and rain. I guess it's too much to expect finding a charcoal ring after 150 years! And yes, the debris
    I find is buried anywhere from a couple of inches to 6-7 inches deep after all this time. I'm sure that the daily mileage would very
    way too much due to weather, breakdowns and just plain how hard do I want to push!

bob
  • have you looked for Indian middens? good campsites have been good campsites for thousands of years, for a number of different tribes. image

many adjacent campsites separated in use by a number of years, by a number of different "tribes", may only be physically separated by a few number of feet or yards.
  • I've dug several campsites. I commonly look under and trees. Look for flat spots near creeks. Look for areas that look sunken, like where a pit could have existed. I look for large concentrations of brick,bone,glass,pottery and then work that area.
  • metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What part of the Morman trail? I've hiked on portions in So. Cal. but with no detector.
    Heres the section.

email: [email protected]

100% Positive BST transactions
  • AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Mormon Trail and Spanish Trail merge here in Las Vegas valley. On the west side of the valley is where I
    do my searching. Sorry, no pics, but will take a camera with me next time.

As for looking under trees, next to washes, depressions, and looking for shards, etc. it just does not happen
    in this part of the desert. Washes today were in different places 150 years ago. No trees, largest brush is
    about 2' tall. No shards or glass, etc found yet. Still looking though!

bobimage
  • metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good luck, keep us posted!image
    email: [email protected]

100% Positive BST transactions
  • "Dear Diary, The first day we ran out of water, had to turn back" image
    "If I had a nickel for every nickel I ever had, I'd have all my nickels back".