Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

NFL Network Top 100 Player's of All Time

I have been watching this and we've been debating at work the list the have so far and wondering who will be in the top 10. Just wondering what players you think might be ranked too low or high. I thought Steve Young was too low at #81. Players I think should be on the Top 10 or close.

Payton
Manning
Unitas
Butkus
Brown
Rice
Taylor
Montana
Baugh
David Jones

Comments

• 72skywalker72skywalker Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭
    Emmitt Smith has to be in there. Don't forget Favre as well.
    Collecting Yankees and vintage Star Wars
  • cubfan89cubfan89 Posts: 632 ✭✭✭
    Smith shouldn't even be in the top 20. Farve will be though.
  • recbballrecbball Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭
    Just a shot in the dark, these players will all be high on the list.

1 Walter Payton (you really didn't think I was going with someone else, lol)
    2 Jim Brown
    3 Jerry Rice
    4 Sammy Baugh
    5 Dick Butkus
    6 Peyton Manning
    7 Deacon Jones
    8 Lawrence Taylor
    9 Don Hutson
    10 Reggie White
  • Barry Sanders should be in the top 10.
  • larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭
    #95 for my man Larry Allen. Not bad for a guy from a division II, no scholarships, school... that killed the football program a couple years after he "graduated."
  • corvette1340corvette1340 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭
    #10 Steve Bartkowski
  • Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jim Brown should be in his own category. Then its everybody else starting with Butkus.
    Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • dfr52dfr52 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Emmitt Smith has to be in there. Don't forget Favre as well. >>

I agree on Smith, but he won't be in the top end of the list due to a lack of highlight runs and the fact that his success is always considered a product of the players around him. A great player who is almost never given his due.

Super Bowl XXVIII: Buffalo Bills vs Dallas Cowboys -
    Running back Emmitt Smith rushed for 132 yards and 2
    touchdowns earning Super Bowl MVP honors as the Cowboys
    defeated the Bills 30-13 to win their second consecutive NFL
    title.
  • lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Jim Brown should be in his own category. Then its everybody else starting with Butkus. >>

Actually Emmitt Smith should be in his own category.

He is the only guy on that list that can say he is a superbowl champion AND a Dancing With The Stars champion

• billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭
    no love for Orenthal?
  • Mean Joe Greene and John Elway should be top 10.
  • RipkenRipken Posts: 559 ✭✭✭
    Lists like these are hard to make when most of those making the list haven't seen anyone that played before 1970.
  • MeteoriteGuyMeteoriteGuy Posts: 7,140 ✭✭

<< <i>I thought Steve Young was too low at #81. >>

Boo NFL Network!
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
    Actually the people voting on this were any living HOF that wanted to take part, historians of the NFL that remember watching Red Grange play, refs, owners ect.
  • PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    "If the glove doesn't fit his fist, OJ should be at the top of the list." Johnnie Cochran, 1994
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • cardbendercardbender Posts: 1,831 ✭✭

<< <i>Actually the people voting on this were any living HOF that wanted to take part, historians of the NFL that remember watching Red Grange play, refs, owners ect. >>

Anyone that could remember and actually saw Grange play would be over 100 now.

Of course there's some early, limited footage of him too.
    I know I was just joking. Point is the guys that compiled the list were several hundred experts/writer/commentators, living HOFer's ect. It just wasn't a few guys who work at NFL Network jotting down names.
  • SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭
    Sayers and Nitschke should be mentioned.

"Molon Labe"

• Im going with this

1. Unitas (without a doubt, #1)
    2. Jerry Rice
    3. Jim Brown
    4. Red Grange (for what he did for football)
    5. Jim Thorpe
    6. Sammy Baugh
    7. Don Hutson
    8. Joe Montana
    9. Steve Largent....

etc, etc.
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    WOW ... making a list of the top ten is H-A-R-D! Other than a few guys, you can probably throw 20 names or more in a hat and whomever you picked out would be deserving.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭
    I think brady belongs in The top 10 and hate the pats. The guy won 3 sbs and had the best season ever for a qb. He also has a heck of post season record. I think his play off wins keeps him ahead of manning. I also think barry sanders should be up there. He would have broken the rushing record if he didn't retire earlym. Nobody was a better pure runner than him imo.
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,562 ✭✭✭✭
    Who is placed where on the list actually doesn't mean anything to me. It's so arbitrary. I'm just very much enjoying learning more about the players, especially the old-timers.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • gonzergonzer Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have been watching this and we've been debating at work the list the have so far and wondering who will be in the top 10. Just wondering what players you think might be ranked too low or high. I thought Steve Young was too low at #81. Players I think should be on the Top 10 or close.

Payton
    Manning - Now Archie was good but Top 10?
    Unitas
    Butkus
    Brown
    Rice Brown rice? I'd vote orzo.
    Taylor
    Montana
    Baugh
    David Jones Are you talking the Monkees David or Bowie? >>

• dfr52dfr52 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Who is placed where on the list actually doesn't mean anything to me. It's so arbitrary. I'm just very much enjoying learning more about the players, especially the old-timers.
    >>

That's my take on it as well.

Super Bowl XXVIII: Buffalo Bills vs Dallas Cowboys -
    Running back Emmitt Smith rushed for 132 yards and 2
    touchdowns earning Super Bowl MVP honors as the Cowboys
    defeated the Bills 30-13 to win their second consecutive NFL
    title.
    Who's left for the top 10?

In no particular order:

Walter Payton
    Dick Butkus
    Joe Montana
    Jerry Rice
    Jim Brown
    John Unitas
    Peyton Manning
    Lawrence Taylor
    Reggie White
    Don Hutson

• << <i>Who's left for the top 10?

In no particular order:

Walter Payton
    Dick Butkus
    Joe Montana
    Jerry Rice
    Jim Brown
    John Unitas
    Peyton Manning
    Lawrence Taylor
    Reggie White
    Don Hutson >>

Not a bad pool. Personally, I dont find Montana deserving in that lineup, but the majority clearly do.
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Jim Brown
    Walter Payton
    Jerry Rice
    Joe Montana
    Dick Butkus
    Reggie White
    Lawrence Taylor
    Johnny Unitas
    Emmitt Smith
    Peyton Manning
    Still enjoying the series quite a bit, but Favre ahead of Marino is a joke.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Where's Barry Sanders?
  • fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    Is Sam Huff or Night Train Lane anywhere on this list of 100.THey for sure should be in the top ten or 2o
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
    Barry was 17.
  • goraidersgoraiders Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭

No love for Deacon Jones?HUH,can't have a list without him period!
    J.R.
    Needs'
    1972 Football-9's high#'s
    1965 Football-8's
    1958 Topps FB-7-8
  • HallcoHallco Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What # is Ryan Leaf on that list??? image
  • larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭
    Personally, I dont find Montana deserving in that lineup, but the majority clearly do.

Don't let any Niner fans from NorCal know your name. These people will lynch you for speaking like that about their god! No, really. Montana #1, Rice a distance 2 and then a bunch of other people tied for 3rd!
  • jmoran19jmoran19 Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭

<< <i>No love for Deacon Jones?HUH,can't have a list without him period! >>

Deacon was #15, Sam Huff was# 93 and night train was #30.

Recbball nailed the 10 left and IMO Jim Brown is #1

Current obsession, all things Topps 1969 - 1972

• rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>No love for Deacon Jones?HUH,can't have a list without him period! >>

Deacon was #15, Sam Huff was# 93 and night train was #30.

Recbball nailed the 10 left and IMO Jim Brown is #1 >>

yep agree. I like the show. I also agree that the list is arbitrary.
    Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • Barry was 17

In my 40+ years watching football Barry Sanders was the most exciting talented back I've ever seen. Jim Brown is the only back that deserves to be higher on the list.

Barry averaged over 100+ yards per game with an unbelievable 5.0 yards per carry average for his career.

• << <i>no love for Orenthal? >>

Here's a guess on the order of the last 10:

10. Peyton Manning
    9. Don Hutson
    8. Reggie White
    7. Joe Montana
    6. Lawrence Taylor
    5. Dick Butkus
    4. John Unitas
    3. Walter Payton
    2. Jerry Rice
    1. Jim Brown

Did you guys also notice Munoz and some of the highlights they had him in he was clearly holding, lol. That's a pretty good list recbball! I still am surprised Baugh or Otto didn't crack the top 10. Plus, I have to disagree that Brady is better than Marino or Elway. The last episode should be a dooozie...plus they are having a hour special after the show where they will show you how they made the list ect.
  • LJB17LJB17 Posts: 252 ✭✭

<< <i>Here's a guess on the order of the last 10:

10. Peyton Manning
    9. Don Hutson
    8. Reggie White
    7. Joe Montana
    6. Lawrence Taylor
    5. Dick Butkus
    4. John Unitas
    3. Walter Payton
    2. Jerry Rice
    1. Jim Brown >>

Solid list but I think Peyton will be higher and I think Unitas will be over Payton. Splitting hairs here, but I was happy to see Lott come in at 11, and Deion at 34 is good, but I think he could have been even higher. I could have seen Champ Baily or Charles Woodson on the list. I would take either of them over Ed Reed for the career they have shown so far.
    Looking for 77 cloth 9s and 10s.
    54 Red Hearts
    and now 64 Stand ups
    I hope Walter Payton is at least Top 3 where he belongs.

I was happy to see Lott get his due by getting #11 as I believe he was that good. I think that Munoz, Deion Sanders and Tom Brady were too high. I think Farve, Marcus Allen and Steve Young were too low.

I'd be willing to bet they vote Jim Brown #1 though.
    i think brady should be ahead of manning. brady's post season record is so much better
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
    Looks like Rice is #1. They were debating the list on the radio on the way home.
  • Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭✭
    Solid top 10. Some great players. Payton was my favorite. When he retired I believe he also had the most receptions as a back.
  • markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    Neon Deon is the best defensive player of all time among those who never tackled anydody.
  • manning in the top 10? wheres brady? he should be ahead of him imo
    I don't see how manning is ahead of brady and i hate the pats. Manning might have better all time numbers but his post season record is average at best. He had 1 major post season win imo. The afc championship game the year they made the super bowl was really only his big win. Yeah he won the super bowl but that bears team was one of the worst super bowl teams of all time. Brady on the other hand has the greatest single season by any qb plus 3 super bowl wins. One of the wins was against the greatest show on turf who were 14 point favorites. Payton should thank his little bro and tyree. If it wasn't for that catch there wouldn't even be a debate who was better.
  • PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    George Blanda should have made the list. He retired as the all-time leader in points, and he was a great qb.
  • gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭
    Where was Marino on the list? He should definately be in the top 15.

Rgs,

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg