Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Lets See Some SUPERMAN Cards!

I picked this up on Ebay for a mere $20.00 dollar bill and am VERY HAPPY I WON IT! To me, it's the best looking card in the set and I just had to have one in high grade, to my suprise I won the card for next to nothing and am currently awaiting it's arrival to my house! I've never been this excited about such a cheap card and so I just wanted to share this moment with you all. I would also love to see some of YOUR Superman cards, or ANY Superman cards for that matter! So let me know what you think and if you can, share your Superman collection!

Comments

• Options
    kingbeeswaxkingbeeswax Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭
    Sarcasm? $20 for a 9? Seems high.
  • Options
    It's over 30 years old and mint + looks awesome, I beleive I found a great deal! No sarcasm at all!
  • Options
    kingbeeswaxkingbeeswax Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭
    Ok, I see. $20 should get you a PSA 10, or even 2 of them possibly? A box is about $35 and you can get the best ones graded and get a bunch of 9's and 10's possibly and get all the cards, wrappers, stickers, the box. Just an idea. Nice card too, but for a 9 I think it's too much. Just trying to help
  • Options
    Yeah it's cool, I figured I'd skip all the hardwork and blow a 20 spot on a card I wanted really bad. I didn't think there were many 9 or 10's out there, maybe I'm wrong?!
  • Options
    bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭
    I like this black and white series better.....this card is $20 as well....one grade down, but alot older....

• Options

<< <i>I like this black and white series better.....this card is $20 as well....one grade down, but alot older....

image >>

Nice card, but there's something about sideways cards I don't like. It's just me, i'm sure. Wonder if that older series has a nice full frontal of the man of steel? Something to check out for sure, thanks for posting.
  • Options
    It's easier to check the value of the 1966 series on a website called VINTAGE CARD PRICES. Unfortunately, the 1978 is not followed there, so I can't tell if you got a good deal or not (I don't think you did).....
  • Options

<< <i>It's easier to check the value of the 1966 series on a website called VINTAGE CARD PRICES. Unfortunately, the 1978 is not followed there, so I can't tell if you got a good deal or not (I don't think you did)..... >>

I beleive I got a great deal, and besides I'm happy so that's all that counts. I don't understand how you think it wasn't a good deal! Just look at it!
  • Options
    Besides, isn't it like $20+ to get a card graded?
  • Options
    too new........anything newer than 1975 you want in a 10 or higher......9's are probably a dime a dozen.....
  • Options

<< <i>too new........anything newer than 1975 you want in a 10 or higher......9's are probably a dime a dozen..... >>

I'm happy with the "Mint" 9 grade, i mean it's mint. This was the only one on Ebay in this grade.
  • Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    Nice looking card. As long as your happy with the price than that's all that matters.
    Buying US Presidential autographs
  • Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    Nice card. I don't think the price was too much (didn't you pay $17 and free shipping and not $20?)

Patrick
  • Options

<< <i>Nice card. I don't think the price was too much (didn't you pay $17 and free shipping and not $20?)

Patrick >>

Thanks guys, yes $17 and free shipping is what I paid.
  • Options
    twileytwiley Posts: 1,923

<< <i>I didn't think there were many 9 or 10's out there, maybe I'm wrong?! >>

No you are right. There aren't many of these cards from the set graded right now. The card has low population for 9s and very very low population on 10s...
  • Options
    jimradjimrad Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

No you are right. There aren't many of these cards from the set graded right now. The card has low population for 9s and very very low population on 10s... >>

i better buy a box
    Positive transactions with: Bkritz,Bosox1976,Brick,captainthreeputt,cpettimd,craigger,cwazzy,DES1984,Dboneesq,daddymc,Downtown1974,EAsports,EagleEyeKid,fattymacs,gameusedhoop,godblessUSA,goose3,KatsCards,mike22y2k,
    MULLINS5,1966CUDA,nam812,nightcrawler,OAKESY25,PowderedH2O,relaxed,RonBurgundy,samsgirl214,shagrotn77,swartz1,slantycouch,Statman,Wabittwax
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

No you are right. There aren't many of these cards from the set graded right now. The card has low population for 9s and very very low population on 10s... >>

i better buy a box >>

I was thinking of adding one to my order, lol.
  • Options
    Great looking card! 20 bucks? I think for something like this 20 dollars is a fantastic price...............its attractive, very high grade, a beautiful card.......hey its a hobby, so you buy what you like and love to collect and show others. I thank you for posting this and share your excitement! The rest of you killjoys............dont you get it? ITS A HOBBY ITS SUPPOSED TO BE FOR FUN So again I say..................GREAT CARD! Congrats!
  • Options
    I think 17 w/ ship is good deal on that card! Nice pick up! If you look around fleebay there are others from the set in 9s at 20 and up. There is one psa 10 from the set and the seller wants a Ben for it.

Congrats! What is next? Are you going to acquire the other 164 cards in the set?

I would like to know where a box of these is listed for 35 bucks? The cheapest I have seen is 50.
  • Options
    72skywalker72skywalker Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭
    Great card. The hobby is all about what you like. I have that set in probably excellent condition when I bought the packs from the local drug store as a kids. That card brings back memories.
    Collecting Yankees and vintage Star Wars
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think $20 is a great deal. A Grey Goose on the rocks in South Beach is $20.

There are currently five graded a 9 and only one a 10. As for the cost of grading it various a great deal but you can use $10 as a safe average number when including the shipping and up front cost to join.

This set of cards will obviously never be worth what the 1940 cards are but I bet longer term this could fetch a higher price. If you look at the SMR on the 40 set all green arrows on EX MT and above. Some body must be buying those cards and I would bet with the relatively low cost of these they may get interested in these as well.

If you can get a box for $35 I say go for it and if you pull some that look perfect send them off and hope to get some good grades.

Enjoy the card!
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    NiceDoctor, I appreciate it and to anyone else that thinks I got a great deal the same goes for them as well. Thanks.
    Twiley, what's next for me is some of the stickers from Series 1 and 2, I think they look great. I don't want to collect all of the cards, just the ones I like!
    Dpeck, thanks for the run down on the population. I can't beleive I own 1 of the 5 PSA 9's! To me, that's a big deal. I, too think that these cards should increase in price over the long term... or maybe even when the next movie comes out!

• Options
    72skywalker, wow old school that's awesome!
  • Options

<< <i>Non-Sports Card Forum >>

Just another reminder
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    1. Folks should buy what they like and can afford.

2. Folks who state prices-paid AND get offended when
    biz-centric collectors/sellers suggest "overpayment"
    should not take such views personally.

3. Movies are a HUGE key to pops in NS card prices.

4. Looking at POP reports can lead to wrong conclusions
    and poverty. There are reasons for "low pop" numbers
    of SOME cards; NOBODY wants them.

5. Almost NO modern card that is not in a 10-slab is
    going to hold its value over time. 9s simply are not
    a storehouse of value.

6. I have managed to get between $50 and $100
    for low pop modern 10s. Such purchases are fine
    for enthusiasts who enjoy the subjects of such NS
    cards, but thinking of them as "investments" - even
    longterm - is likely faulty thinking.

Superman and Dick Tracy are my faves.

Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    royalbrettroyalbrett Posts: 620 ✭✭✭
    Cool card. I watched Superman II the other day. It sure looked dated. I loved it as a kid. I found myself giggling at a few scenes as an adult (not a complementary giggle either).
    Yeah, I uploaded that KC icon in 2001
  • Options
    alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    collect what you are happy with and ENJOY!!!!! I've been getting 1980 Die Hard Laughing cards graded just because I like them, not because I think they will send my kids to college....when I used to do shows I'd tell anyone who asked to just collect what you like and forget about what everyone else thinks or says. Enjoy SUPERMAN!! al.
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭
    What is Superman's best rookie card

kobefan1
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>What is Superman's best rookie card >>

Not sure about a card, but one of these just sold for $1,500,000.00 earlier this year!

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
  • Options

<< <i>What is Superman's best rookie card

kobefan1 >>

Friggin hilarious!
  • Options
    MeteoriteGuyMeteoriteGuy Posts: 7,140 ✭✭
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
  • Options
    It looks like $53 is the cheapest you can find a box for on EBAY. Some sellers have it much higher.

• Options

<< <i>What is Superman's best rookie card

kobefan1 >>

His Rookie Card would have to be from the 1940 card set (not even sure you can call it a rookie), but if you want to get specific about things then this (1978 Series 1) card could be the one to take off. It was on the front of the box and it's the most iconic image of the man of steel, from the set! I'm glad I got it!
  • Options
    It is the 1940 Gum Inc card

1# Superman, PSA 9 SMR is $2,200. (estimate with no PSA 9's)

Judging by the green numbers with increases accross the board and the fact that many cards from the set in NM-MT have sold for over $2,200 I bet it would sell for a great deal more.

Acording to the population report there are only 3 cards from entire set in Mint 9 and no Gem Mint 10's. There is not a #1 Superman in PSA 9 and and only one PSA 8 NM-MT.

Each one the cards has a similar number submitted ranging from 15 to 49 with an average near 30.

I bet the PSA 8 would sell for $5,000 or more. Just a prediction.
  • Options

<< <i>too new........anything newer than 1975 you want in a 10 or higher.... >>

Unless its a wrestling card. Then, we'll have several 800 post threads about Greg Valentine and Tony Atlas in PSA 6 or 7.
  • Options
    Of all the cards I have purchased for player and company sets... and the ones sent to PSA for grading, never once did population report cross my mind. I've probably logged into the Population Report as a member less than five times in my life.

It means n o t h i n g for 98.5% of the cards out there.
  • Options
    This has to be the one of dumbest post I have ever read.

There are serious collectors that try and put together sets in a certain high grade. If there is only one card graded a PSA 8 or 9 and so forth you better believe it matters.

With modern cards where population is in the thousands it just simply means the price will be contained.

With a set like these that have almost none in mint condition it means someone out there would pay a fortune. The Superman Action Comics 8.5 sold for 1.5 million, the next closest one was a 3.5, if you think this did not enter into the buyers thoughts you are just plain stupid.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,760 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One thing I never understood about the George Reeves Superman, is when the bad guys would shoot their guns at him he would stick out his chest and the bullets bounced right off, but when the bad guys were out of ammo and threw their gun at Superman, he would duck.
  • Options
    All I know is that Superman owns, I'm stoked because A) and of course 1st and foremost, I am a HUGE Superman fan! B) It's a PSA Mint 9 and 30 + Years Old! C) The Appearance of it = Amazing! D) It's obvious I'll receive some kind of return if I were to sell it, but I'm not going to sell it because I hadn't planned on it! Thank you all.
  • Options
    Superman RC

OUCH

• Options
    No price on a PSA 2, but here is VCP on the PSA 1...

Latest Auction Prices for: PSA 1 - Average Price: $69.50

2/7/10 eBay Image poopookid r***p BIN $79.00
    1/31/10 eBay Image poopookid bcruze22 Best Offer $60.00
    3/1/09 eBay Image glynparsonsportscards 0***0 12 $36.00
    10/17/08 BL Auctions Image 1 $28.13

With VCP on a PSA 5 around $350, it is a safe bet to say that he is NOT going to get his asking price for the PSA 2.....
  • Options
    Show more Superman cards!!!
  • Options

<< <i>This has to be the one of dumbest post I have ever read. >>

In 10...or even five years I bet you will change your mind.

<< <i>There are serious collectors that try and put together sets in a certain high grade. >>

Seriously?

<< <i>If there is only one card graded a PSA 8 or 9 and so forth you better believe it matters. >>

If there is only one 8 then there could be a 9 or a 10 and if there is a 9 then there could be a 10 and if there is a 10 there could be another 10.

<< <i>With modern cards where population is in the thousands it just simply means the price will be contained. >>

<< <i>With a set like these that have almost none in mint condition it means someone out there would pay a fortune. >>

Sure, if a 1940s Superman card that someone needed for a registry set showed up in a grade they need they could pay a price, but if another shows up, then another, that card's "value" is going down.

<< <i>The Superman Action Comics 8.5 sold for 1.5 million, the next closest one was a 3.5, if you think this did not enter into the buyers thoughts you are just plain stupid.

Since when did PSA grade comics?

• Options
    Peferct example of "Cards are only worth what someone is willing to give for it"

Congratulations on a Beautiful card! And for enjoying the Hobby the way its meant to be.

Don't let the "what's it worth" collectors spoil your enjoyment.

• Options
    hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭
    All you dumb-a$$es are being played
  • Options
    I don't even like Superman...I am gonna put all my Superman cards on Ebay at 99 cent openers...high bid gets them! That's right, a TRUE auction (remeber those???? - No $17 BINs).........