Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

8 $100 bags of 2006 Kennedys lost/stolen in mail

A few months ago I mailed these from southeast TX to AZ and they never arrived.

Yes, I collected on the insurance although I didn't have them insured for quite the full value.
(Everything will go registered and insured from now on)

Just posting this in case anyone has been offered these or has been seeing BU 2006 Kennedys in circulation in their area.

Comments

• Options
    I have to ask...why not fully insured?
  • Options
    PawPaulPawPaul Posts: 5,845
    80 rolls must have weighed a lot !
  • Options
    misterRmisterR Posts: 2,305 ✭✭

I thought I was pretty safe mailing such a large box that weighed over 40 lbs.

I just lost a bit over $200 on the deal.

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What kind of box did you use? Medium or Large size flat rate box?
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    Most common cause of problems on heavy coin shipments is box failure. Tape and more tape is the cheapest insurance.
  • Options
    GrivGriv Posts: 2,804

<< <i>Most common cause of problems on heavy coin shipments is box failure. Tape and more tape is the cheapest insurance. >>

That's the truth. I've never had any of your packages get lost or damaged and I'm sure it's close to 100 or more. image
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The mailman probably dumped them after realizing it was modern crap.

(don't get excited, I'm just kidding)
  • Options
    coin22lovercoin22lover Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The mailman probably dumped them after realizing it was modern crap.

(don't get excited, I'm just kidding) >>

That was funny!
  • Options
    misterRmisterR Posts: 2,305 ✭✭

"What kind of box did you use? Medium or Large size flat rate box?"

Large flat rate box that I wrapped with fiberglass reinforced paper tape.

One of two that I shipped on the same day.
    One got there, one didn't.

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>"What kind of box did you use? Medium or Large size flat rate box?"

Large flat rate box that I wrapped with fiberglass reinforced paper tape.

One of two that I shipped on the same day.
    One got there, one didn't. >>

I prefer the plastic reinforced tape .. you either need scissors or a box cutter to tear that type.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    Out of 675 shipments, only 1 has been lost. I dont insure ANYTHING under $200 and all coins $500 mostly higher value coins. That cost to pay for lost packages outweigh insuring everything. If it costs 2.25 for the first $100, I just have to have no more than 1/44 packages get lost.
  • Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,366 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why would someone order a box of coins intended for circulation?

Since I have yet to read nor have I heard any concrete information concerning how circulating coins are manufactured, I have only the following definitions from the US Mint to base my findings that all 2005 to 2010 circulating coins are nothing more than water-downed strikes from used satin finish dies. Read them yourself and draw your own conclusions. I have highlighted in bold print the significant wording that influences my opinion.

uncirculated:

The term "uncirculated" may have three different meanings when applied to a coin.
    • First, it can refer to the particular manufacturing process by which a coin is made.
    • Second, it can be used as a grade when referring to a coin's degree of preservation and quality of the strike.
    • Or third, "uncirculated" can point to the fact that a coin has not been used in everyday commerce.

At the United States Mint, we use the term uncirculated when referring to the special coining process used to make the coin, which gives it a satin finish. Uncirculated coins are manufactured using the same process as circulating coins, but with quality enhancements such as slightly higher coining force, early strikes from dies, special cleaning after stamping, and special packaging. Uncirculated coins may vary to some degree because of blemishes, toning, or slight imperfections.

Uncirculated.

Uncirculated coins are struck like circulating coins, but with higher force, newer dies, special cleaning after stamping, and Mylar® packaging. Uncirculated coins may vary to some degree because of blemishes, toning, or slight imperfections as described below.

Leo

P.S. Those who want to continue ignoring this glaring problem...........can do so.

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options

<< <i>P.S. Those who want to continue ignoring this glaring problem...........can do so. >>

Done.image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>P.S. Those who want to continue ignoring this glaring problem...........can do so. >>

Done.image >>

Ain't that the truth! image

Leo

• Options

<< <i>Out of 675 shipments, only 1 has been lost. I dont insure ANYTHING under $200 and all coins $500 mostly higher value coins. That cost to pay for lost packages outweigh insuring everything. If it costs 2.25 for the first $100, I just have to have no more than 1/44 packages get lost. >>

Exactly. Buying USPS first class insurance is perhaps the only deal in town worse than lottery tickets (if you do a good job of packaging and addressing). --Jerry
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Out of 675 shipments, only 1 has been lost. I dont insure ANYTHING under $200 and all coins $500 mostly higher value coins. That cost to pay for lost packages outweigh insuring everything. If it costs 2.25 for the first $100, I just have to have no more than 1/44 packages get lost. >>

Exactly. Buying USPS first class insurance is perhaps the only deal in town worse than lottery tickets (if you do a good job of packaging and addressing). --Jerry >>

jerry, i took your advice and switched to your labeling technique and hundreds of packages later not a single one has been lost. thanks again. image
    my ebay items BST transactions/swaps/giveaways with: Tiny, raycyca,mrpaseo, Dollar2007,Whatafind, Boom, packers88, DBSTrader2, 19Lyds, Mar327, pontiacinf, ElmerFusterpuck.
  • Options

<< <i>A few months ago I mailed these from southeast TX to AZ and they never arrived.

Yes, I collected on the insurance although I didn't have them insured for quite the full value.
    (Everything will go registered and insured from now on)

Just posting this in case anyone has been offered these or has been seeing BU 2006 Kennedys in circulation in their area. >>

While I can't remember when I last received a 50 cent piece in change, I do find some humor in thinking that someone would actually buy his next $800 worth of stuff with rolls of coins. I would take such a box to the bank, tell them no silver in that box and get the cash.

Leo

• Options

<< <i>Why would someone order a box of coins intended for circulation? >>

I don't think the mint has released half dollars for circulation since 2001. The only way to obtain circulation strikes is to buy bags or rolls from the mint.
  • Options

<< <i>I don't think the mint has released half dollars for circulation since 2001. The only way to obtain circulation strikes is to buy bags or rolls from the mint. >>

Buy boxes of halves through your bank, you'll find them. Cash-off the halves you don't want when you're done.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Exactly. Buying USPS first class insurance is perhaps the only deal in town worse than lottery tickets (if you do a good job of packaging and addressing). --Jerry >>

jerry, i took your advice and switched to your labeling technique and hundreds of packages later not a single one has been lost. thanks again. image >>

Hi, can you share what labeling technique you use?
    BST reference: wondercoin, cone10, fivecents, jmdm1194, goldman86
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

jerry, i took your advice and switched to your labeling technique and hundreds of packages later not a single one has been lost. thanks again. image >>

Hi, can you share what labeling technique you use? >>

sure. its a brother P-touch printer model QL-500 with a continuous roll. it uses Thermal print technology so there is no ink to buy.

it prints buyer and seller addresses and bar codes through ebay and paypal and prices are discounted from the post office prices. most packages can be tracked along its delivery route and none have ever gone MIA. hope this helps.
    my ebay items BST transactions/swaps/giveaways with: Tiny, raycyca,mrpaseo, Dollar2007,Whatafind, Boom, packers88, DBSTrader2, 19Lyds, Mar327, pontiacinf, ElmerFusterpuck.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>
    Hi, can you share what labeling technique you use? >>

sure. its a brother P-touch printer model QL-500 with a continuous roll. it uses Thermal print technology so there is no ink to buy.

it prints buyer and seller addresses and bar codes through ebay and paypal and prices are discounted from the post office prices. most packages can be tracked along its delivery route and none have ever gone MIA. hope this helps. >>

Really appreciate your info.
    I use the basic paypal to print priority shipping labels. It also provides shipping discount, and it updates both paypal and ebay with the tracking number.

I know that the tracking number for priority mail is just a delivery confirmation number. It may or may not provide details along the delivery route. So will the bar code generated by QL-500 provide additional information and will it be more secure for shipping? How does it compare with the paypal shipping label?

Thanks a lot!
  • Options
    yes. it seems that my packages get scanned along the way so tracking shows multiple locations along the way, not just at the delivery point. as i said before hundreds shipped and not one lost.
  • Options

<< <i>yes. it seems that my packages get scanned along the way so tracking shows multiple locations along the way, not just at the delivery point. as i said before hundreds shipped and not one lost. >>

Thank you so much for your info.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file