Home U.S. Coin Forum

"1964-D" Peace Silver Dollar fantasy issue, Bulk-Handling Finish, MS-63 grade, Currently U

GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,823 ✭✭✭✭✭
Your Price: Currently Unavailable - Possibly More to Come
Out of stock
Item Number: mm_0100_1964d_B
Minted with minor flaws, such as small planchet delamination, small struck-through debris, and/or inaccurate alignment between host coin design and over-strike. Evident signs of "bag" handling - consistent with MS-63 grade. Housed in non-PVC "flip" holder, with certificate indicating "Bulk-Handling Finish". Perfect for pocket pieces, roll additions, etc. Limited quantity available at this price. Maximum mintage of all issues combined will be 2,000 or less.

The 1964-D Peace silver dollar is one of the most enigmatic coins in history. On August 3 1964 legislation was enacted authorizing 45 million new silver dollars to be coined. In May 1965 the White House finally ordered some to be produced and the Denver Mint soon minted 316,076 of the coins which carried a 1964 date and a design identical to the Peace silver dollar last minted from 1921-1935. Shortly after the first mintage, an order went out to destroy them. The Treasury Department claims every one was accounted for and melted. None have publicly surfaced in the 45 years since. If an original 1964 Peace silver dollar were to turn up, it would be subject to immediate confiscation since it would be assumed to be stolen government property.

Now available is this modern over-strike "1964-D" Peace silver dollar, the most exacting and faithful rendition ever produced. Holding this coin in hand gives the viewer a true sense of what it would be like to own an original 1964-D Peace silver dollar. And since these are over-struck on genuine Peace silver dollars, they have the correct weight (no metal is added or removed), correct metallic content, and correct diameter. Even the number of reeds on the edge (189) is correct. And to top it off, all the over-strikes are privately and painstakingly performed using a surplus Denver Mint coin press !

In an ironic twist, the original 1964 Peace dollars are illegal to own. But this modern fantasy is LEGAL and is not required to carry a "COPY" stamp for the following reasons:

1) These are not copies of Peace silver dollars - they are privately over-struck on GENUINE government-issue Peace silver dollars that were originally minted from 1922-1935.
2) According to the US Treasury, no 1964 Peace silver dollars survived - so this can't be a copy of one since they don't exist.
3) Defacing of US coins is legal so long as the defacement isn't for fraudulent purposes.

By purchasing one or more of these coins, the buyer agrees to provide full disclosure of their origin when reselling them. Failure to provide potential buyers with complete and accurate information when offering these coins could result in crimminal and/or civil fraud charges. In other words, don't even think about trying to sell these to unaware buyers as original 1964-D Peace silver dollars !

The pictures accurately show what the coins look like. No photo editing was performed. There may be subtle differences between coins. Since they are over-struck on existing coins, there may be faint evidence of the original coin design showing since the overstrike is usually not perfectly aligned with the original strike. The "D" mint mark was intentionally punched far to the left and then corrected. This provides a marker for future identification as to the source. Also note the fourth extra ray below "ONE", as seen on the original 1921 issue and on some of the 1935-S issue. Do not attempt to use these as legal tender. This product is NOT endorsed or approved by the US Mint, US Treasury, or US Government.

Link

Comments

• WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    imageimage
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭
    And for those who want it toned with bag marks, just ask for the shake-and-bake special.
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • Rule 6, Rule 6 (spoken like a sub captain saying DIVE, DIVE). image

• << <i>Rule 6, Rule 6 (spoken like a sub captain saying DIVE, DIVE). image >>

Funny how that chime is never heard on the dozens of other applicable threads.

With inconsistency in grading, I guess inconsistent rule application follows.
  • llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Rule 6, Rule 6 (spoken like a sub captain saying DIVE, DIVE). image >>

Funny how that chime is never heard on the dozens of other applicable threads.

With inconsistency in grading, I guess inconsistent rule application follows. >>

I think it has to do with tolerance... most people can tolerate an inappropriate thread for a short period of time.

Your level (or in this case, the moderator's level) of tolerance can be consistent.
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another one????? Cheers, RickO
  • messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,640 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rule 34?
  • DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That sounds like a 200grand ca-ching for Daniel to me!! Bravo!

• << <i>That sounds like a 200grand ca-ching for Daniel to me!! Bravo! >>

Not quite...

I believe there were a maximum of 2000 scheduled to be minted of ALL strikes (possibly less). The "Bulk-Handling Finish, MS-63 grade" selection was only around 25-30 coins, IIRC. This was just a few that didn't quite meet the MS-68 standard he was trying to keep, so put them in a bag with other coins and "bagged" them a little to give them a more normal mint run look, and sold them at a discount.

The standard finish is still available.
  • DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>That sounds like a 200grand ca-ching for Daniel to me!! Bravo! >>

Not quite...

I believe there were a maximum of 2000 scheduled to be minted of ALL strikes (possibly less). The "Bulk-Handling Finish, MS-63 grade" selection was only around 25-30 coins, IIRC. This was just a few that didn't quite meet the MS-68 standard he was trying to keep, so put them in a bag with other coins and "bagged" them a little to give them a more normal mint run look, and sold them at a discount.

The standard finish is still available. >>

Bah, thought it was for all of them, totally misread. Whoops.
  • notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭

I don't think most people realize (and I'm not saying you don't) how much money DCarr had to risk on this venture that could have turned out a flop. I've bought tooling and parts for many a venture in my garage and when demand didn't show.

Most entrepreneurs won't invest so much on such a risky, controversial issue. Thus, it is fitting in my mind if the payback is good.

--Jerry
  • Mission16Mission16 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

I don't think most people realize (and I'm not saying you don't) how much money DCarr had to risk on this venture that could have turned out a flop. I've bought tooling and parts for many a venture in my garage and when demand didn't show.

Most entrepreneurs won't invest so much on such a risky, controversial issue. Thus, it is fitting in my mind if the payback is good.

--Jerry >>

Ditto that.

Try taking a design you have for a product to a machine shop for a prototype. If you are not using off-the-shelf components, get your FAT checkbook out cuz it's GONNA cost you!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file