Home U.S. Coin Forum

Numismatic News

What is your opinion of Numismatic News? I've been a long time subscriber to Coin World and really like it.

Is Numismatic News worth the cost to you?

Comments

• My year subscription just expired and I am not going to renew it.
    It may be that I am just lazy but I didn't really find more info that I usually find on this forum or other websites.
    Plus, too many pages are just advertising. I understand that is still a source of info for a collector but it looked more like AM or Metro (which are free!) than a numismatics magazine.
    It is nothing special, JMHO.
  • RyGuyRyGuy Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭

<< <i>My year subscription just expired and I am not going to renew it.
    It may be that I am just lazy but I didn't really find more info that I usually find on this forum or other websites.
    Plus, too many pages are just advertising. I understand that is still a source of info for a collector but it looked more like AM or Metro (which are free!) than a numismatics magazine.
    It is nothing special, JMHO. >>

I'll second this.

My yearly is almost up and I will not be renewing. Between the lackluster articles and needless commentary from subscribers, I get no value from it.

The forums are a much more valuable resource.

• << <i>And don't bother with CoinValues either! Unless you need Richard Nachbar's vacation retirement phone number. >>

image Just last night I read Richard's "well-known checkbook" will be at The Hawaii Show in October!

I've only heard good things about Richard but this was worth a laugh.

• << <i>

<< <i>My year subscription just expired and I am not going to renew it.
    It is nothing special, JMHO. >>

I'll second this.

My yearly is almost up and I will not be renewing. Between the lackluster articles and needless commentary from subscribers, I get no value from it.

The forums are a much more valuable resource. >>

NN lost its luster a while back when the ownership changed hands.I plan to let it expire in Nov.
  • savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,267 ✭✭✭✭
    >>I'll second this.

The forums are a much more valuable resource>>

Shhh! they already charge for CoinFacts

www.brunkauctions.com

• ConstantineConstantine Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭
    I switched from NN to CW recently when NN went to the smaller size and the poor quality of printing and paper. I enjoy CW better. HOWEVER, I found that in a rush, NN had all the major highlights in the numismatic world, and CW can be overwhelming at times and very distracting with all the ads. So they do have their pluses and minuses.
  • anablepanablep Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with the above sentiments. I canceled my subscription a year ago. Don't miss it. There were some features I enjoyed, but there were too many ads & not enough substance.
    Always looking for attractive rim toned Morgan and Peace dollars in PCGS or (older) ANA/ANACS holders!

"Bongo hurtles along the rain soaked highway of life on underinflated bald retread tires."

~Wayne
  • ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭
    I like NN. Although the articles are sparse at times you can't sit on the throne with a laptopimage
  • NN? Is that the newspaper that prints 75 "Letters to the Editor" submissions every issue, complaining about the mint?
  • krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    I get both CW and NN, but NN does include a price guide each month as part of the base subscription. NN also has very good coverage of the current Mint production statistics.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• phehpheh Posts: 1,588
    Not that any of the readers mind, but the advertisers have started bailing from Numismatic News as well. That publication is toast if they don't start making changes.
  • bidaskbidask Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the price guide in NN.
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is a thread I created a while back...with a pole. Maybe it will help here?

Numismatic News or Coin World Poll

Greg
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Thank you Greg. I missed your earlier poll.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dropped NN some time ago. Very little 'meat' and lots of potato's. Cheers, RickO
  • RebelRonRebelRon Posts: 544 ✭✭

<< <i>I like the price guide in NN. >>

Even the price guide could use some improvement.
  • TheRavenTheRaven Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭✭
    I get Numismatic News and Coins Magazine.....

Keeps ya up to date with things. I have a hard time keeping with the reading however.....
    Collection under construction: VG Barber Quarters & Halves
  • SamByrdSamByrd Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭✭
    I dropped nn about 10 years ago. The classified ads were dominated by one person and many of the dealers that advertised were junk dealers for the most part. The articles were decent just way to few very little actual content. NN ignores there readers out of hand I am surprised there still a going concern.
  • RollermanRollerman Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been a NN subscriber off and on for 45 years! I find it just about right for my needs. Coin World has plenty of ads also and I care nothing about world coins. I've never subscribed to it, but have been given copies from coin friends over the years.

I favor NN myself and thought I'd say so since the trend seems to be running the other way.
    Pete

Edited to ad: If it came between choosing to give up either NN or this forum, I'd choose to keep this forum if that tells you anything.
    "Ain't None of Them play like him (Bix Beiderbecke) Yet."
    Louis Armstrong
  • nutmegnutmeg Posts: 345 ✭✭
    I ahve tried them all and got rid of NN years ago. Now I just get Coin World and the Coin Values supplement they send. What irks me is they want $20 a year extra for a protective cover. I won't pay that. By the time all the postal employees get done reading my copy each month it finally arrives torn and crumpled. That's ok, winter is coming and I need something to start fires in my woodstove.
  • LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    I love Paul Green's articles, but it is not enough to make me re-subscribe. CW is a better mag in my opinion.
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like CW better, but I still like NN. I did like the larger format better.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file