Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Is Julian calling a top on the 99 W unc. market?

derrybderryb Posts: 36,200 ✭✭✭✭✭
I sold him a couple a few years back, figured he was building a hoarde. Looks like he was!

1999-W American Gold Eagles, Unfinished Dies, 160 Coins

And let's not leave out the King

But wait, there's more!

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

Comments

• Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    100 G's for one huh?

Item number: 200514878556
  • Options
    renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks more like $168K for 63 $10 coins and 97 $5 coins. Hmmm, that's like 25-1/2 oz gold. What a premium!
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    thats not a bad take for sure. wtg image
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have both, do not need anymore. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Anyone have better estimates of the mintages than listed in the first eBay link? image
  • Options
    GATGAT Posts: 3,146
    Nothing more then an ad announcing he has the coins on eBay and now here. There's no way he can sell them as a group on eBay and he knows it.
    USAF vet 1951-59
  • Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gawd.

No wonder Julian's been hyping these for years. image
  • Options
    I love Julian and hope he gets everything and more out of them but this market might not be the best for those. With gold so high I am not sure people will spend such a high % markup over bullion as they would when gold was 400,650,800 1000 ect. That being said, with that many he can almost let the market come to him.
  • Options
    Does anyone know if they ever found those scumbags that stole Julian's Coins last year? I had talked to him on the phone about it as I passed on information to local law enforcement here in Philadelphia,. PA. He is so polite and well spoken and I was mortified that some scum would steal his coins.
    I had POSITIVE transactions with the following 31 members == Mach19 - Robkool - KollectorKing - ASUtodd - Coppercoins - Kalshacon - Whatsup - Commoncents05 - Cartwheel - Marmac - Thatoneguy - Collectorcoins - Delistamps - Bestmr - Cwazzy - Ajia - Nefprollc - Grote15 - Rampage - Grip - Rpmhunter - Chumley - 2272DavidG - Utahcoin - Cohodk - Ajbauman - Sportsmoderator1 - Sevensteps - Windycity - Pitboss - Starfish
  • Options

<< <i>Does anyone know if they ever found those scumbags that stole Julian's Coins last year? I had talked to him on the phone about it as I passed on information to local law enforcement here in Philadelphia,. PA. He is so polite and well spoken and I was mortified that some scum would steal his coins. >>

They found the dirt bag trying to resale the coins and recovered most of them and the coins were returned after a lengthy investigation.
  • Options
    GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭
    Hard to imagine what he's thinking here unless he's desperate to raise some cash. His price is not at all attractive for such a big lot. He should be talking to HSN or some other mass-market company to dump these. Despite all the hype on these in the last year, these still seem pretty cold to me.
    Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010
  • Options

<< <i>Hard to imagine what he's thinking here unless he's desperate to raise some cash. His price is not at all attractive for such a big lot. He should be talking to HSN or some other mass-market company to dump these. Despite all the hype on these in the last year, these still seem pretty cold to me. >>

they have been hyped for a lot longer then just the past year. That being said, I think HSN would be one of the better places to resale these but I think they are pretty gangster on the buy side.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,837 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The public does a lot of window shopping. And in closing, I can only say: "it is what it is".
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, that tends be a drug on the market for these issues as much as I like them (have 2 x $10 and 1 x $5). All those just sitting there, I guess sometimes a corner on the market is not a good thing.

These two coins are hard to prognosticate IMO, despite Eric Jordan touting them. I don' t think it looks to wonderful personally.
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,837 ✭✭✭✭✭
    as long as i'm in the "window" mode , here is a look at the ten year chart for "bullion", since those coins came out. Technical analysis should dictate that one ought to "SET PRICE HIGH".

not saying it's right or wrong.... just sayin'
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>1999-W Emergency Issue Gold Eagles

This is an unprecedented opportunity for someone to purchase a group of this important issue of American Gold Eagles.

1999 was the run up to the Y2K hysteria and there was a great deal of concern about whether or not the computers of the world would function properly when the date changed from December 31, 1999 to January 1, 2000.

Many people bought gold and silver coins so that they would be able to barter if the monetary systems all became unusable.

In late 1999, there was unprecedented demand for smaller denomination American Gold Eagles. In my opinion, the US Mint had run out of regular dies for these coins and because of the demand, reached up on the shelf and utilized some dies that were prepared for Proof Only strikings. They used these dies to make commercial strikings of the $5, 1/10 ounce, and the $10, ¼ ounce coins.

Some people refer to these coins as errors, but I prefer to call them Emergency Issues, like the 1942/41 dimes. Regardless, they are the key issue to the $5 AGE and the $10 AGE collection. Estimated mintages of these coins are in the low thousands, maybe 2500+ for the $5 and 1000+ for the $10. >>

Were they made on purpose as stated?

If so, would they be better called an Emergency Issue as suggested?
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,200 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My own personal opinion is that the unpolished proof dies were used by mistake. If they were knowingly pulled off the shelf and used then it seems the mint would have removed the W before using them.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file