Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

How much is too much $$$-1961 Topps Dice Game

I love cards like everyone else on this forum. Last night in the Huggins and Scott auction a 1961 Brooks Robinson Dice game card sold for 19,000 plus 17.5 buyers premium. I collect Brooks cards and no surprise I dont own this one. I figured it would sell for 6 to 10,000 dollars....I was shocked this morning to find it went for 20,000.
Over 20,000 grand for 1 card wow! Everyone is in a different place with money.

Not sure what I am trying to say...how much is too much?
Is that card worth 20,000? I guess to some one it was.
Was it a good investment?
Would buying a couple high grade sets from the 60s for 20000 been a better buy (investment)?
As jealous as I am of not owning that card, and even if I had that kind of money, I still would be pressed buying a card for 20,000.
Congrats to the new owner...it is rare!!!!

Comments

• Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Well -- it is a question of rarity. There are probably three or fewer Dice Game Robinson cards in the world. For $20K -- even if you bought a number of "high grade sets from the 60s" -- those are relatively easy to put together and more like commodities. Given the supply of those cards, it is hard to imagine long-term appreciation unless there is a significant uptick in demand. For the Brooks Robinson card, it is a very, very thin market of people willing to spend that sort of money on a card with stapleholes. But is is close to unique, it is a Hall of Famer from the first highly desirable test set ever put out by Topps. I'm not saying it is a good or bad investment -- but it is certainly rare, and I'm pretty sure that the new owner will not be flipping it anytime this decade.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    It likely wasn't bought as an investment and last night it looks like at least two people were prepared to pay close to or more than 19K. I'm not surprised. Plus even if it was an investment this is a card you can be reasonably certain that this is a card there won't be a "find" of, significantly affecting the population. Money is relative to who is spending it.

I'd say this 19,000 is alot safer than some of the amounts I have seen spent on PSA9 & 10 50's and 60's commons.
    Collecting Pre-War, Pre-War HOF Types, Pre-War Postcards
  • Options
    hi
    i was wondering if you were bidding against me
    i won the card..i stopped bidding at 5500 and 2 guiys went at it upto 15k and then i jumped back in
    how come u didnt bid on the 68 disc? 1st ive ever seen of brooks
    went cheap
    and by the way 19+ for dice game or in last huggins auction 19 + for a stephen strasbourg rookie?
    i think id rather have the dice game
    larry