Home Metal Detecting
Options

Detecting without lots of damage?

I have been metal detecting in the city parks in the town where I live. I asked my city council member (who also happens to be my dad) if there was any problem with it. He said there shouldn't be any problems. The trouble is that I feel like I'm doing a lot of damage digging with a trowel. I always fill my holes, and throw away any garbage that I dig up, but I feel limited. Does anyone have any suggestions? Well, I mean any suggestions other than cutting the lace off my undies and dealing with it. image
Collector of Confederate currency

Quondo omni flunkus moritati

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you unsure of your hole filling techniques? I am not sure I fully understand the issue. There are techniques to use with the trowel, a shovel or a coinpopper (screwdriver or similar tool). The coinpopper is the least intrusive method, but not viable on deep coins or large objects. How about some more detail? Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    I guess I'm just not comfortable digging holes in public parks, even though I fill them in well. Your coinpopper suggestion sounds like it might be good for me to try. I try not to go much deeper than 3 or 4 inches. Is there a technique to it?
    Collector of Confederate currency

Quondo omni flunkus moritati
  • Options
    pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭
    I had the same concerns at first too about damaging the grass. What finally got me over it, was I visited the same park a couple days after I detected to see the damage I had caused. And you know what? There was virtually no sign I was ever there! Might be worth a shot with you too. When you see there's no sign you've been there, you'll feel sort of like a detecting ninja...
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I probably use a screwdiver 95+% of the time. It has gotten me in to more places when maintance people see that I'm not digging holes. All it takes is one person that doesn't respect property and it screws it for the rest of use that take care to show that no one has been there.
  • Options
    Rickc300Rickc300 Posts: 876 ✭✭
    I carry a 2 liter bottle full of sand and grass seed that I use to fill in holes and any rough areas around the edges when I replace my plug. A few days later (in parks with sprinklers) the spot is greener and lusher than when I dug out my find. This is basically what takes places on golf courses every single day, has anyone seen a pock marked fairway on a golf course on TV after the many divots taken out with a golf club? I guarantee I create more damage with my wedge than with my digging tool. BTW, As far as my golf game I shoot on the mid seventies, if it gets any hotter than that I stay in the club house and drink beer...

LOL, just dig and be respectful of others...

Rick
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Freedom is a well armed lamb contesting that vote. Benjamin Franklin - 1779

1836 Capped Liberty
    dime. My oldest US
    detecting find so far.
    I dig almost every
    signal I get for the most
    part. Go figure...