Home Precious Metals
Options

Congratulations to silver (@22.62) - outperforming gold

renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
This no dis to Proof's thread but a compliment to it.

Silver is climbing the Great Wall that the Hunt Brothers built three decades ago. Silver may have just reached a new base station. I think it's safe to say that some here would confess that $50 will be broken in the not too distant future.

In the Fall of 2008 I began to focus on buying more silver than gold due to comments (from brilliant comrades) here in PM-land. The pure percentage play was too tempting. Back then gold was $900-ish and as of today's record price ($1,315), gold has increased 46% in the two years. In that same time frame silver has rocketed 144%! At some point silver will become the poor man's gold. I don't know at what price gold needs to be for J6P to switch to silver. The Gold Train may have already left Sheeple Station.

Some time ago I mentioned here that I was trying to convince one of my crew members to buy some PM's. To date he has bought zilch, nada, "nichts." It's a good thing I'm not in sales. image When he does finally come around and buy I will let my PM comrades know so we can score some of those evil profits.

Why is it that Pilots and Doctors are always late to the investment party? image

r95

PS: Not all pilots are late to the game. I have one friend that went all in over a year ago. He bought 100 ounces of gold and 1,000 ounces of silver.......

Comments

• Options
    WingsruleWingsrule Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭✭
    GSR has a 5-handle on it for the first time in quite awhile.

1309.60 / 21.85 = 59.94
  • Options

<< <i> I think it's safe to say that some here would confess that $50 will be broken in the not too distant future.

....... >>

I think most here would also say that long term buying gold is safer then buying silver. Perhaps more money can
    be made in silver in the short term, but I believe the smart money is still going into gold.
  • Options
    gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    I'd add silvers strength reaffirms golds strength.
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • Options
    ttownttown Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    This thread sounds like some trying to spin how well the stock market is doing. Now really if you have purchased gold at it's peak and an equal amount of silver at it's last peak who would have the most $$$? Silver should be over $30 it's about time it starts to heat up. It's way under performed for years but it still is the best bargain at the present IMO. Silver already been here done that, let's see some real gains.
  • Options
    Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭

<< <i>GSR has a 5-handle on it for the first time in quite awhile.

1309.60 / 21.85 = 59.94 >>

If silver is perceived as a Monetary metal and not just as an Industrial metal, the ratio will return to 15 to 1 or better.

1309.60 / 15 = $87 dollar silver.
  • Options
    CoinCrazyPACoinCrazyPA Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>GSR has a 5-handle on it for the first time in quite awhile.

1309.60 / 21.85 = 59.94 >>

If silver is perceived as a Monetary metal and not just as an Industrial metal, the ratio will return to 15 to 1 or better.

1309.60 / 15 = $87 dollar silver. >>

That would be nice.
    Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

Successful Trades: Swampboy,
  • Options
    Right ttown.
    ///
    Jan 21, 1980 was the high for silver. It closed at $48. That translates to $130 today according to one website.
  • Options
    ...a pop over $22.
  • Options
    CoinCrazyPACoinCrazyPA Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Right ttown.
    ///
    Jan 21, 1980 was the high for silver. It closed at $48. That translates to $130 today according to one website. >>

That would be even nicer.
    Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

Successful Trades: Swampboy,
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,526 ✭✭✭✭✭
    gotta love that silver all image
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Things are different than they were in 1980. People aren't much different though, and people make markets. The question really is - how much physical silver is there to be played with, and when is it going to be used up?

(Actually, that's two questions but comrade is good guy and will not beat up on jmski for being obtuse.)

I think most here would also say that long term buying gold is safer then buying silver. Perhaps more money can be made in silver in the short term, but I believe the smart money is still going into gold.

No one can deny that silver took a nice dive from $21.00 to $9.00 in '08, but jmski sees virtually **no risk** in a longterm hold of silver. Jmski loves silver very very much, in a sort of non-emotional way of course!

Let's talk about portfolio diversification. Granted, diversification does reduce your potential gains, in exactly the same way that it reduces your potential losses. Diversification of Risk is DEFINED as a reduction in volatility - and *not* as a sure fire way to make money. A nice mix of silver vs. gold in a rising market like this takes all of the worry out of ratios, trading, timing and transaction costs. Platinum as a third component helps as well in smoothing out the wrinkles. They all work in tandem, and that's important.

Removing anxiety from the equation is important in building a larger position in pms.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    As PM's take a much deserved pause I would like to show how well silver has done during gold's big runup starting on July 28. Gold was $1160 then and has gained 16% to yesterday's close. Silver has gained 28% in the same period!

It will be interesting to see if we are in 1) a correction and 2) see silver outperform on the way down.

I'd like to see it go back under $20 in time for the Mint's "hockey puck"pricing. image
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>As PM's take a much deserved pause I would like to show how well silver has done during gold's big runup starting on July 28. Gold was $1160 then and has gained 16% to yesterday's close. Silver has gained 28% in the same period!

It will be interesting to see if we are in 1) a correction and 2) see silver outperform on the way down.

I'd like to see it go back under $20 in time for the Mint's "hockey puck"pricing. image >>

Palladium is close behind in Silver ... $470 7/28 .............$583 today's close ...24% gain
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    Those were the days. That was soooo long ago....6 months ago?!
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ttown is getting his wish that he made back on Sept. 29th.image
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What a long strange trip it's been

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    Classof67Classof67 Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭
    Everything old is new again.image
    GREAT BST transactions with Wondercoin, segoja, moderncoinmart, notwilight, wingsrule, 123cents, fivecents, hunted, alohagary, ibzman350, WTCG, sonofagunk, amigo, coincoins, dcgolfer, chumley, nycounsel, tootawl, guitarwes, kimber45ACP, Zubie, Egger, RYK, 1tommy, EagleEye, NEFPROLLC, jmdm1194, Coinfolio