Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Burbank is good

EDIT- It was more of a misunderstanding than anything else. Burbank fixed the situation to my satisfaction and I would continue to buy from them.

Lee

Comments

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I admire your decency in sending the funds. We all may see things differently but coming back with a counter offer would not have made me mad. Especially if they hardly ever discount cards.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I recently paid $70 for a card from them...then won another at auction for $25...I really try to be patient and not buy from them.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    Well don't keep us in suspense...... what did you tell them they can do with the card?
    'Sir, I realize it's been difficult for you to sleep at night without your EX/MT 1977 Topps Tom Seaver, but I swear to you that you'll get it safe and sound.'
    -CDs Nuts, 1/20/14

*1956 Topps baseball- 97.4% complete, 7.24 GPA
    *Clemente basic set: 85.0% complete, 7.89 GPA
  • Options
    We all may see things differently but coming back with a counter offer would not have made me mad.

Obviously it's their card and they can do what they want with it. But after I essentially send them a $22 gift, I would expect them not to play hardball and start nickel and diming the guy that just gave them the gift. In my response, I asked how they'd feel if they gave a homeless person a $20 bill and then the guy asks for $5 more.

It really just goes to show how little they care about their customers, repeat business, or if their cards even sell.
  • Options
    hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭
    You could send them $17 paypal and accept their $45 offer

Edit, sorry saw you already sent it
  • Options
    OAKESY25OAKESY25 Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭
    I think you overreacted.. to me it seems like you "doing the right thing" was to negotiate a price on the other card..
    it seems like they were willing to work with you as a thanks you and I don't think meeting you in the middle
    is unreasonable.. you said yourself they are not usually looking for offers but in this instance they considered it
    due to your honesty.. you telling them where they could go negates the original good deed here
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭

And, no good deed shall go unpunished.

NEVER expect reciprocal consideration.

Virtue must always be its own reward.

I am not fond of giving discounts but, under the described
    circumstances, I would have accepted the offer.

Hello lady, I have your lost dog; give me a reward or I'll kill it.

Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Give us a break this is not news, and not at all funny as the title indicated. Sad is more like it. What's your next thread gonna be, how 707 is overpriced?
  • Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    Just remember...

Nice guys finish last...

&

For some, its all about the Benjamins...

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭
    I know Rob over there fairly well. I can certainly see your point Lee, and I do believe if they realized you were a repeat customer many times over, they would have just done it for you. The problem with running an internet business is things like personal attention get missed. I can guarantee you it wasn't anything personal and they would likely try to make a repeat customer happy. Happy to talk to them for you if you like. LMK.
  • Options
    In truth, I was probably going to buy the card for $53 eventually. Like storm, I would've accepted the $40 offer, but I also would've understood if they didn't accept. What I don't understand is trying to get me for $5 more.

I don't expect a 'reward' for being honest, but I also don't expect to be chiseled for such a small amount from a company that describes themselves as one of the biggest in an industry full of scumbags, thieves and false paypal claims when I've shown that I'm not only a good customer, but also an honest one.
  • Options
    I don't think it is chiseling.. just doing business.. like you said.. you would have paid $53.. which means there is a market for the card at $53..
    they were willing to do $8 off.. not too bad..

it seems you do want to be rewarded.. I mean after all.. you got the cards.. so if you didn't actually pay them.. it would be stealing
    so it isn't really doing the right thing.. as it is doing what you agreed to do in the first place.
    ( I will throw in this disclaimer.. I agree.. you did the right thing as I think many people wouldn't)

but because you honored your end of the original sale doesn't mean you should get to lowball someone and expect them to have to take it..
    if it were me ( and I am guessing you too, if the shoe was on the other foot) would gladly eat that $22 and not listen to a buyer who wanted to be
    compinsated for doing the right thing. It the end it seems like it wasn't the most decent thing after all.. since it kind of came with strings attached
  • Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭
    anybody hear about any Ric Flair cards on Ebay lately?
  • Options
    corvette1340corvette1340 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭
    maybe they were playing the father game with you and just trying to see if you would take the free cards or tell them about the oversight.
  • Options
    hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭

<< <i>but because you honored your end of the original sale doesn't mean you should get to lowball someone and expect them to have to take it..
    if it were me ( and I am guessing you too, if the shoe was on the other foot) would gladly eat that $22 and not listen to a buyer who wanted to be
    compinsated for doing the right thing. It the end it seems like it wasn't the most decent thing after all.. since it kind of came with strings attached >>

I doubt if his offer could be considered lowball, since Burbank is overpriced on everything by about 300%
    And IMO, Burbank coming down $53 to $40 on a card they likely have $5 into, isn't exactly offering compensation to the buyer

• Options
    I don't think it is chiseling

Trying to negotiate $5 out of somebody is chiseling, I don't care how you look at it. I expect it from somebody I don't know; like you said, it's part of doing business. But I don't expect it from somebody I just did a favor for. The only strings attached to my 'act of decency' were don't nickel and dime me after $22 fell out of the sky because of me or you're going to lose my business.

And yes, you are correct that I'd tell someone who gave me $22 to go screw himself if he started demanding favors in return. In fact, I'd give it back to him and tell him to eff off. But I also wouldn't try and squeeze him for $5 extra in our next transaction, I'd either accept his offer or politely decline.
  • Options
    I think a decline would come as a slap in the face.. sort of..
    I think possibly your good deed may have opened a door for you
    to negotiate future deals where previously you fell short?
    but said door was probably since slammed shut and locked.. lol

I don't know..
  • Options
    OP - Nice gesture on your part; but you didn't "gift" them anything; you just paid for goods they delivered too you. Sure you probably could have gotten away with not paying, but that's besides the point.

So I just got through reading a thread about some guy calling out another person for giving them a lowball offer. Now this thread is about a guy complaining that somebody won't accept their lower offer. Can't have it both ways folks.
  • Options
    CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070

<< <i>We all may see things differently but coming back with a counter offer would not have made me mad.

Obviously it's their card and they can do what they want with it. But after I essentially send them a $22 gift, I would expect them not to play hardball and start nickel and diming the guy that just gave them the gift. ll. >>

You'd EXPECT them not to get the most out of you that they can? You're the one that, as you said, just gave them a $22 gift....I would have asked for $10 for than the list price because you like giving money away so much.
  • Options
    drewsefdrewsef Posts: 1,894 ✭✭

<< <i>I don't think it is chiseling

Trying to negotiate $5 out of somebody is chiseling, I don't care how you look at it. I expect it from somebody I don't know; like you said, it's part of doing business. But I don't expect it from somebody I just did a favor for. The only strings attached to my 'act of decency' were don't nickel and dime me after $22 fell out of the sky because of me or you're going to lose my business.

And yes, you are correct that I'd tell someone who gave me $22 to go screw himself if he started demanding favors in return. In fact, I'd give it back to him and tell him to eff off. But I also wouldn't try and squeeze him for $5 extra in our next transaction, I'd either accept his offer or politely decline. >>

It's a good thing trying to negotiate $13 out of somebody is not chiseling.

You did the proper thing, and if I was the seller, heck yeah you could have the other card for $40(and I would have at the least given free shipping as well.) However, I don't think sending a counteroffer for 5 more bucks is worse than declining altogether

Looking at it from a different angle, I'm quite sure someone else who said they are in the card at $5 or less, but consider all the millions of cards they are sitting on, paying for a building/store front and all the costs associated, that sit and sit and sit and no one needs and are mostly worthless. Basic operating expenses, employees, and listing fees(anyone that sells on Ebay currently knows how rough it is), and most cards are so cheap in price if you don't have a large profit percentage then you won't be around long. From what I have witnessed and talking to other large sellers, everyone agrees that many cards are weak and all fees continue to rise.

• Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    Lee, just to let you know, I laughed.

In all seriousness, I don't find anything wrong with how you went about things. First off, you did the right thing by letting them know that you were going to resend payment for cards you could just as easily kept your mouth shut about. Then, in an effort to send more money their way, made a more than reasonable request for a card that was still overpriced. I'd say piss on 'em, but they have a niche - lots of rare cards, and the patience to sit on those cards until someone comes along and pulls the trigger. I've gotten the 'card is no longer in our inventory' email in the past, so when it happens to others, I'm never surprised. I am somewhat stunned you got the cards after getting the not-so-surprising email.
  • Options

<< <i>Me trying to be a decent human being and all (many here would disagree), >>

Lee sent me some fine Irish Whiskey, Lee's the greatest man that ever lived. image
  • Options
    Hmmm... I don't know maybe it's the beer talking but...

If If I were the seller and a buyer did this I would of said "Holy $heet!! my bad... I can't believe this happened thanks for being honest" and just gave you the card you asked about but that's just me..

I never expect anything from anybody...Including buyers of my goods.. Looks like they are the ones that lucked out and actaully had a good buyer this time..

by the way good job Lee.. and lol at some of the replies here image
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    I find it very hard for them not to have known Lee was a repeat customer. That would have taken all of 20 seconds to look up in their customer database. It just shows how lazy and stupid those guys are sometimes.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Lee

I can't believe it! This is the first time that I can say that you are wrong.

What is the world coming to?

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>Hmmm... I don't know maybe it's the beer talking but...

If If I were the seller and a buyer did this I would of said "Holy $heet!! my bad... I can't believe this happened thanks for being honest" and just gave you the card you asked about but that's just me..

I never expect anything from anybody...Including buyers of my goods.. Looks like they are the ones that lucked out and actaully had a good buyer this time..

by the way good job Lee.. and lol at some of the replies here image >>

Morning,

What Dizzle said, and I probably would have given the card to Lee as well, and I guarantee with 100 % certainty I would have never tried to negotiate another $5 bucks out of him after his Honesty!!!!!!!!!!!

I would say that conservatively over the last few years I have given $100's and $100's of dollars away of FREE cards related to Customer Service!! Sometimes we (And They) tend to forget that on E-bay it's still a business based on Customer Service!!!!!

YeeHahimage

Neilimage
    Actually Collect Non Sport, but am just so full of myself I post all over the place !!!!!!!
  • Options
    I will say this though, it is a funny situation.

IMO they are under no obligation to award you anything.

And like some are lol'n some of the remarks here you can bet your a&&

the other side is laughing just as hard.

Steve

Good for you.
  • Options
    they'll notice a bug on the windshield for about as long as it takes another bug to hit the windshield.
  • Options
    bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭
    It sounds like a very tough situation Lee. If I were you I'd quit the hobby!!! image

brian
  • Options

<< <i>I will say this though, it is a funny situation.

IMO they are under no obligation to award you anything.

And like some are lol'n some of the remarks here you can bet your a&&

the other side is laughing just as hard.

Steve >>

Very good point Steve.
  • Options
    Thank You Dizzle.

I generally try to make good points.

Yours was just as good.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    This thread is worthless if it doesn't escalate somehow.
  • Options
    KbKardsKbKards Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭
    Repeat.
    to cause a slight regurgitation: The onions I ate are repeating on me.
  • Options
    mccardguy1mccardguy1 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭

<< <i>This thread is worthless if it doesn't escalate somehow. >>

I am calling Burbank on this issue....image
    I am on a budget and I am not afraid to use it!!
  • Options
    I hate when this happens but apparently I was wrong as some of you said. Not because of an overreaction (at least the way I see it), but because there was some confusion on their part in terms of what the deal was. I just got a message from an employee/owner named Eddie:

Hi Lee.

Before this gets worse than it already has, I need to explain something to you.

I left early yesterday, and the person who took over for you (responding to my emails) did not know what the situation was between me and you. He got the email, and asked my manager, what's the best we can do? (My manager doesn't know what's going either) I am very sorry about this.

If you would like to card for $40.00, I can go ahead and sell it to you for that price. Believe me Lee, I am very sorry about this mess.

Please let me know if your still interested in it.

Thanks
    Eddie

Let me be the first to say that I jumped the gun and probably shouldn't have started this thread for a couple days to give them a chance to respond, and for that I apologize. I will now edit the title and OP so no more harm is done.
  • Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    Nice to hear that they're going to make it right for you, Lee.
  • Options
    Way to chisel them Lee. Atta boy.
  • Options
    KbKardsKbKards Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭
    If at first the chisel don't succeed...post, post, post.
  • Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    you just knew someone here was gonna contact them....

this is stuff you cant make up...

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options
    thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭
    You earned every penny of the $5 savings.

• Options
    Lee

Then in my eyes you are still batting 1000.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    who chiseled who here?image
  • Options
    SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭
    I suspect Eddie is a reader of this forum.

"Molon Labe"

• Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I suspect Eddie is a reader of this forum. >>

I suspect he is not. Eddie s a really nice guy but I don't think he collects cards/memorabilia or even follows sports that closely.
  • Options
    SOMSOM Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭
    I am super impressed with the OP.

That was very classy to come back to the board and straighten out a misunderstanding.

Nice!

Nick
  • Options

<< <i>I am super impressed with the OP.......... >>

I find him to be unimpressive and a bit of a clod.
  • Options

<< <i>EDIT- It was more of a misunderstanding than anything else. Burbank fixed the situation to my satisfaction and I would continue to buy from them.

Lee >>

What a douchey cop out
  • Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I suspect Eddie is a reader of this forum. >>

full of rats
  • Options
    thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭
    every forum has its rats. CBT has its fair share as well, unfortunately.

• Options

<< <i>every forum has its rats. CBT has its fair share as well, unfortunately. >>

Probably the same ones with no job and nothing better to do all day long.
This discussion has been closed.