Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Ah, those moments on Ebay we all live for.

I post something on my store Sunday night for $99. I get a message offering to buy it for $60, hilarious. But the joke's on that clown, because before I could even respond the item sold.

I took great pleasure in responding to that message. image
Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items

Comments

• Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    63 Mantle or 61 F Robby AS?
  • Options
    Why did you take great pleasure in that??? Just set a minimum offer you'll consider so you don't have to waste your time with lowball offers.
  • Options
    RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    63 Mantle.

The 61 Frank sold fast too, to a really nice guy who's building a 1961 set.

BTW, normally I don't mind crazy emails with offers, I normally just ignore them but this one was just humorous in light of the fact the card sold minutes later.
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Why did you take great pleasure in that??? Just set a minimum offer you'll consider so you don't have to waste your time with lowball offers. >>

I think it wasnt a best offer auction, and the lowballer just sent the email on his own.
  • Options
    Glad you got what you wanted and the card sold quick. I am sure dealing with "tire kickers" is a part of the selling game, but I would wager that outrageous BINs on ebay outnumber the low ballers by a wide margin. Could be wrong.
    Collecting Pre-War, Pre-War HOF Types, Pre-War Postcards
  • Options
    burke23burke23 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭
    Not knowing the value of the card, an offer at 60% of list isn't unheard of - probably about the norm given the BIN prices out there.
    Looking for rare Randy Moss rookies and autos, as well as '97 PMG Red Football cards for my set.
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭

<< <i>I post something on my store Sunday night for $99. I get a message offering to buy it for $60, hilarious. But the joke's on that clown, because before I could even respond the item sold. >>

The best ones are when the $60 offer comes with a full page letter explaining why your price is too high and why $60 is more than reasonable.

I had a guy give me a listing of Beckett prices to back up his low-ball offer. I offered recent auction sales, and he countered by calling me a con-man and a crook.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Why did you take great pleasure in that??? Just set a minimum offer you'll consider so you don't have to waste your time with lowball offers. >>

I think it wasnt a best offer auction, and the lowballer just sent the email on his own. >>

I missed that... if there was no best offer option and the buy just contacted you asking to take $40 less - you had every right to blast away image
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    Great eBay seller!! Took my lowball offer!! Friendly and courteous!! 5 STARS!! image
  • Options
    Sounds like you are being petty Ron. That doesn't rank in the top 10,000 ebay stories of mine own.
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    ebay and pay pal both suck
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭
    To be honest this doesn't seem over the top to me. Perhaps you had market price on this card however usually BINs are overpriced. Perhaps the person who made the offer thought $80 was a fair price. You want $20 too much, he offers $20 too low figureing you will meet in the middle at market price. If someone wants more than market price but I offer market price we can only meet at a fair price or higher.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    Mark - I think you missed the part where I said I don't really mind lowball offers. It was the timing of it that was humorous.
    Ron Burgundy

• Options
    I saw that. I also saw where you felt the need to reply to him, with great pleasure.

You just eBay road raged and then came to a public forum to talk about it.
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
  • Options
    Wasnt that an Aaron card you made a lowball offer on in the BST forum the other month? About 60% it's value?
  • Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    I frequently make offers on BINs, even if they are not solicited. Some are accepted, some are not. I usually offer in the neighborhood of VCP.
  • Options
    Mark -

I was happy the card sold, thus my delight in telling him that.

You've always had a problem with me and I really don't know why. It's not worth a minute of my time trying to figure out though. Good day, sir.
    Ron Burgundy

• Options
    I dont think we have a problem. The only time I can think we argued was when you had 3 postings in the BST, 1 got deleted and you asked, Why? I noted the rules say 1 and you didnt like that. I dont even think that was an aguement...as you had no grounds.

I would just be careful making any offers to you...as apparently, you are very sensitive.
  • Options
    Tough crowd.

Glad you got your asking price and appreciate the intent of your story.
  • Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    lots of sellers now list bin with bo looking to get 50%, buyers know this and therefore start their first offer accordingly, if the buyer with the best offer wasn't willing to pay $99 hes not out anything, maybe you even left a little on the table.
  • Options
    corvette1340corvette1340 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭
    I'll give you $40 for both of them. image
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    I'm here simply to say hello. Hello.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    Sweet 3...

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options

<< <i>I'm here simply to say hello. Hello.

Steve >>

Hi Steve image
  • Options
    Hello walls.
  • Options
    GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭
    Nothing better than the buyer/seller debate.
  • Options
    mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Glad you got what you wanted and the card sold quick. I am sure dealing with "tire kickers" is a part of the selling game, but I would wager that outrageous BINs on ebay outnumber the low ballers by a wide margin. Could be wrong. >>

+1
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • Options
    Agree that outlandish BIN's are all over Ebay.

Anytime something sells right away, my first thought is I either had it priced right, or too low. Or Itzagoner bought it.
    Ron Burgundy

• Options

<< <i>Hello walls. >>

+1
  • Options
    I love BIN's because you get paid right away and you do not have to read about all the excuses as to why they backed out or it is going to take so long to get paid.
  • Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I love BIN's because you get paid right away and you do not have to read about all the excuses as to why they backed out or it is going to take so long to get paid. >>

that's only if you set it up that way (require immediate payment)
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    I would not set it up any other way.