Home Precious Metals
Options

Buying silver proof state quarters as bullion.

BBNBBN Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭
I just bought three state quarter sets from the local B&M for $60. Two 2005s and one 2008. Should I crack them out or leave them in the plastic?

Positive BST Transactions (buyers and sellers): wondercoin, blu62vette, BAJJERFAN, privatecoin, blu62vette, AlanLastufka, privatecoin

#1 1951 Bowman Los Angeles Rams Team Set
#2 1980 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
#8 (and climbing) 1972 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set

Comments

• Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Myself, I would leave them in. No reason to take them out, unless you are going to melt them or send them in for grading, etc.
    ----- kj
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rolls are selling on eBay at close to bullion price. There could be problems selling silver proof state quarters in roll form, however, because to someone who is not knowledgeable, they appear to be just shiny state quarters. Pre-1965 silver is more readily identifiable for selling or barter.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    agree with Overdate, most people have been told that silver coins are those dated 1964 and older. You show them a 2000 silver state quarter and they might look at you like your crazy.
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    tydyetydye Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭
    Other than convenient storage I see no upside to removing them from their packaging.