Home Precious Metals
Options

What debts could be paid by PM's?

Yes, we've heard here that contractor jobs have been settled through gold and/or silver payments, but how about

Mortgage debt
Capital Equipment
Car Lease/Debt
Taxes

Could these debts be settled with a shipment of 1 oz?

Comments

• Options
    alifaxwa2alifaxwa2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭
    I dont know about PMs, but you can pay car tax in pennies.... http://www.wfsb.com/money/24610701/detail.html in connecticut, but not property tax in washington http://abclocal.go.com/wtvg/story?section=news/bizarre&id=7635671
    Looking to have some custom cuts or plain custom cards built? PM me.

Commissions

Check out my Facebook page
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very unlikely ... but try it & find out yourself ... just don't expect your PM's to be returned.image
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    ProofCollectionProofCollection Posts: 5,434 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you mean directly? Because you can always convert your PM's to whatever medium (i.e. USD) necessary.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Contractor payments are usually face to face transactions so a PM trade is feasible. Mortgage payments, car payments, tax payments, etc aren't usually face to face transactions so a PM trade would be extremely difficult to set up. Usually, these payments are processed by a clerk who wouldn't have the authority to accept anything other that USD's even if they knew the current value of PM's which is unlikely.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very unlikely ... but try it & find out yourself ... just don't expect your PM's to be returned

The question itself really isn't fair because you could get those PM's converted in cash at very close to spot in less than an hour as PC suggested above. And that difference in mailing out the product itself or cash is essentially irrelevant. Bottom line is those PM's are like cash except for a one hour delay to visit your local coin shop and cash the check at their bank. That sure beats the liquidity and easily defined liquidation value offered by most other tangible assets. Even if you carry a brokerage/money market account with your stocks many of them put a 3 day hold on your cashed out stocks before releasing the funds. I know they do on my USAA brokerage account. In that respect gold in my hands is 72X more liquid than stocks and other investments in my acct (24 hrs x 3 days)

Of course in the future the situation might just be reversed as it has in many foreign nations during times of currency crisis. That is, your gold will be kept, but your fiat bills might just get returned....image

With the dollar plunging below .80 it's about time for the supermodels of the world to start passing on dollars in favor of gold and silver. They just might pass on the Euro as well this time around. .image

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options

<< <i>Of course in the future the situation might just be reversed as it has in many foreign nations during times of currency crisis. That is, your gold will be kept, but your fiat bills might just get returned... >>

Interesting....can you name one major Industrial Country where this actually occurred in the last 100 years, other than the Weimar Republic? Of hand, I can't think of any.
  • Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,675 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know a good Mexican restaraunt that will give you $10 off your meal if you bring in a silver dollar.
    image Seriously, he has little folded cardboard displays on each table with the offer.
  • Options

<< <i>I know a good Mexican restaraunt that will give you $10 off your meal if you bring in a silver dollar.
    image Seriously, he has little folded cardboard displays on each table with the offer. >>

That was a good deal at one time but not anymore.

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,313 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I imagine your drug dealer and/or hooker type friends would take PM payments.
  • Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,675 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I know a good Mexican restaraunt that will give you $10 off your meal if you bring in a silver dollar.
    image Seriously, he has little folded cardboard displays on each table with the offer. >>

That was a good deal at one time but not anymore. >>

True enough. I asked him about the signs one time and not a single person had turned one in for trade.
    Melt at the time was $14 or so....
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

That was a good deal at one time but not anymore. >>

True enough. I asked him about the signs one time and not a single person had turned one in for trade.
    Melt at the time was $14 or so.... >>

I wonder how many people tried to give him an Ike dollar.image

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,313 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can say that if you took PMs to the used car lot my dad and our buddies run you could swap them for a vehicle, a title pawn/bad credit payment they handle, or a down payment depending on amount.
  • Options
    Interesting....can you name one major Industrial Country where this actually occurred in the last 100 years, other than the Weimar Republic? Off hand, I can't think of any.

You just named one!

We've posted a chart of all the major currency inflations of the past 100 yrs on here several times. But in case that slipped your mind there are several dozen events. The currency doesn't care if the nation in question is a major industrial nation or a lesser nation with a small but growing industrial base. Either one is just as susceptible to a currency crisis as the next one. As far as I'm concerned all but maybe one of these is an industrial nation. You can research the details further if you like. Brazil was close to being on the list but worked their way out of it.

These 4 reached daily inflation rates of from 10%-200%: Hungary, Yugoslavia, Greece, Taiwan, Zimbabwe, Germany.

Other notables: Argentina, Brazil, Bulgaria, Chile, China, Israel, Japan, Peru, Phillipines, Poland, Romania, Ukraine.

And last but not least: Our own states during the revolutionary war and the United States during the Civil War. image

roadrunner
  • Options
    Many building trades contractors would take gold in payment, I think someone here did that awhile back? MJ?
  • Options

<< <i>Interesting....can you name one major Industrial Country where this actually occurred in the last 100 years, other than the Weimar Republic? Off hand, I can't think of any.

You just named one!

We've posted a chart of all the major currency inflations of the past 100 yrs on here several times. But in case that slipped your mind there are several dozen events. The currency doesn't care if the nation in question is a major industrial nation or a lesser nation with a small but growing industrial base. Either one is just as susceptible to a currency crisis as the next one. As far as I'm concerned all but maybe one of these is an industrial nation. You can research the details further if you like. Brazil was close to being on the list but worked their way out of it.

These 4 reached daily inflation rates of from 10%-200%: Hungary, Yugoslavia, Greece, Taiwan, Zimbabwe, Germany.

Other notables: Argentina, Brazil, Bulgaria, Chile, China, Israel, Japan, Peru, Phillipines, Poland, Romania, Ukraine.

And last but not least: Our own states during the revolutionary war and the United States during the Civil War. image

roadrunner >>

That's not what I questioned....I questioned your statement that: "Of course in the future the situation might just be reversed as it has in many foreign nations during times of currency crisis. That is, your gold will be kept, but your fiat bills might just get returned"

None of the countries that you listed, as far as I know, refused to take their "fiat" bills during the inflationary periods and demanded gold instead.
    The fact of the matter is that no major Industrial Nation in last 100 years, other then the Weimar Repblic, refused to take their own currency and demanded gold instead.
    That does not mean that it could not happen, but the odds are against it.
  • Options
    None of the countries that you listed, as far as I know, refused to take their "fiat" bills during the inflationary periods and demanded gold instead.
    The fact of the matter is that no major Industrial Nation in last 100 years, other then the Weimar Repblic, refused to take their own currency and demanded gold instead.
    That does not mean that it could not happen, but the odds are against it.

You're not serious are you? With 200%/day inflation occuring in Hungary in July 1946 a regular citizen would have prefered to get a bank note rather than a gold coin in payment for something knowing that by the hour that note was becoming worthless? Meanwhile as soon as that person got gold in their hands in exchange for services, goods, etc...they were set and could go to bed at night knowing that in the morning they'd wake up the same purchasing power rather than 1/3. If was the one giving up goods I'd hold out until the person with hard money showed up to buy my goods. The goods weren't depreciating but once I had those hot little notes in my hand I'd have to immediately try to transfer them into something tangible. Sorry, but I don't buy it. Any sane citizen (citizen sane?) would try to demand gold instead of currency. And if there was some local law against refusing currency, then I'd only offer my goods in the black market (ie not publically for sale). Zimbabwe got up to 100% inflation per day or about 1% every 15 minutes. That meant you had to be fast on your feet to exchange whatever currency you were given for something tangible within minutes. Darn right I'd refuse to take bills or else I'd take my item off the market for the time being. The industrial nation is made up of its citizens and you can bet your bottom fiat that they'd be as selective in what they would accept in payment for services or goods. I'd venture to say that in every example of serious inflation as I listed above that a significant percentage of the nation's citizens wouldn't take currency. I doubt that during our own Civil War that citizens would take greenbacks if they didn't have an alternative.

roadrunner
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Do you mean directly? Because you can always convert your PM's to whatever medium (i.e. USD) necessary. >>

After the government gets their part of it from taxes.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

Excellent! And, how much is a 40% silver ike really worth? Hmmmmm image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options

<< <i> With 200%/day inflation occuring in Hungary in July 1946 >>

RR I can't believe that you considered Hungary as a Major Industrial Nation in 1946? That's like calling the defeated Axis Countries, "Major Industrial Nations" right after the war. Give me a break..Most of the defeated Countries subsided on Allied handouts in 1946, and as far as their Industrial base, well, it no longer existed. And just in case you forgot, Hungary was part of the Axis powers during the war and in 1946 was occupied by the Russians.