Home Metal Detecting

9/20/10: 4 Silvers and some neat misc. finds

pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭✭
Today started off slow. After about 2 hours I had one wheat and what looks like three connected brass bracelets (mangled of course). Went to a different section and then found a silver plated ring. Then a couple of wheats, finally got a 1945 Merc, then shortly after got a 1945-P War Nickel, then a 1943-P War Nickel, and ended with a 1943 Washington Quarter. Mixed in there are 7 wheat cents and a Buffalo Nickel (possibly 1918).

Some other cool things are:

- A pocket knife where the outside is shaped like a key. (says Taiwan, so I guess it's not too old?)
- a really cool Cap Grenade. Not sure of its age, but I thought it was some kind of bomb at first! Checked e-bay, and it looks like it might be worth a dollar or two. Still pretty neat.
- a metal mechanical pencil (stamped China, so my hopes for a high-end item are ruined!. It actually still works!
- a "Shirley President" suspenders buckle or some sort. Looks to be circa 1920s or 1930s.
- probably the strangest find of the day is some sort of eagle. It looks to be gold plated (flaking). Any ideas what it went to? The hole at the bottom is pretty small, but I first thought some sort of flag pole cap.

Mangled (possible) bracelets
Closeup of one of the mangled bracelets
Eagle, looks like it was gold plated (flaking now)

Happy Hunting all!

Comments

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is certainly a mixed bag of finds.... the cap grenade is cool, used to have them when I was a kid. Heck, I do not believe you can even buy caps anymore (horrors) let alone these items OR cap guns. The eagle does look like a flag pole top. Cheers, RickO
  • pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another nice outing for youimage How does your silver total so far compare to last years total?
  • pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Another nice outing for youimage How does your silver total so far compare to last years total? >>

Thanks Bob! On Sept 20, 2009, I was at 35 silver coins. Yesterday's haul puts me at 49 for 2010.

My goal for 2010 is to beat my 2009 total (which was 51), so this feels promising

• The eagle came from the top of a small flag pole. They are very typicallly placed on the smaller ones that slide into a holder mounted on the side of a house. Yours appears to be circa 1960s based on the pics although it could be from the 1950s.
    Charter member of CA, Coinaholics Anonymous-6/7/2003
    Kewpie Doll award-10/29/2007
    Successful BST transactions with Coinboy and Wondercoin.
  • coffeycecoffeyce Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭
    Wow the little thing that looks like a missile I use to have one as a kids (35 now) the head comes off and you put a cap in it. Nice finds.

Chris
  • Ricko,

They are still available.
    I bought caps and two cap guns at Wal*Mart last week for my son. I think the caps are made in Germany.
    I doubt they still sell the cab bombs.

John

Successful BSTs with lordmarcovan, pontiacinf, Harry779, ajia, jfoot13, coinfame, Hammered54, fivecents, Coll3ctor, al410, commoncents123.
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,411 ✭✭✭✭✭
    theres some neat stuff in there. wtg on the silver change image