Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Very scarce coin in this grade....

mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 7,326 ✭✭✭✭✭
PCGS XF 45


image
image

This date was almost impossible to find in any grade higher than AG in the '80's and '90's.

When I saw this one,I just had to have it for my beginning set of 'O' mint dimes,1837-1909,XF or AU.

1900 O makes 3 down,33 to go.image

Comments

  • Options
    zap1111zap1111 Posts: 1,298 ✭✭
    Cool idea for a series to collect. Good luck with it and thanks for sharing this one. Great character to it.
    zap
    zap1111
    102 capped bust half dollars - 100 die marriages
    BHNC #198
  • Options
    MoldnutMoldnut Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭✭
    Very neat date and mm, one that suffers from poor strikes as seen in the headband and liberty.
    Derek

    EAC 6024
  • Options
    Darn right, tough in that grade, I am doing dimes in VF+, one exception so far 1895-P in 12, but I just got a 1903-S in VF-20, one tough booger, luckily I have the best who buys the coins for ne, no junk, solid, original eye appeal.

  • Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 7,326 ✭✭✭✭✭
    no junk, solid, original eye appeal.

    Right.Coins like we're talking about will always have someone's interest in acquiring.Besides,I have always liked to collect things that not most everyone else has.

    David Lawrence,in his guide to Barber dimes, puts difficulty of locating decent 1900-O on same level as locating decent 1895-O,the unarguable key to the Barber dime series.





  • Options
    generous grade
  • Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 7,326 ✭✭✭✭✭
    generous grade

    1900-O
    Comments: Poorly struck with lackluster surfaces. Rarely seen in any grade above Fine. Demand will always exceed supply. "Commands" a premium above published price guidelines.

    Lawrence's comments in 1991 in The Complete Guide to Barber Dimes are true today. Assigned Rarity rating-R5+ where R5 means very scarce.Only a few will appear at large shows or auctions in a year's time.Lawrence has nine dates only of the 75 (including 1905-O micro 'O') in grades XF-AU that he considers R5.Lawrence considered 1895-O and 1905-O micro 'O',in XF-AU,to be R6. R7 was reserved for mint state 1894-S,R8 for circulated 1894-S (the "ice cream" specimen).

    1903-S,1909-S,1896-S and 1895-P are in the group of R5's.The other five in the group are 'O' mints with 1900-O being the latest R5 'O' mint.

    Official A.N.A. Grading Standards for United States Coins notes that New Orleans issues,in particular,are occasionally softly struck.

    I notice that the mintmark and ribbon bow is very bold on my coin. Also,the "00" in the date is somewhat bolder than the "19."

    I think the PCGS grade is right on but I do admit to being a bit biased as the owner of this coin.

    image

  • Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 7,326 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The New Orleans mint produced dimes starting 1838 not 1837 as I indicated earlier.

    That 1860-O is going to give me fits,tearing my hair out to find an acceptable (XF-AU) example for my set.

    I may need to go back to the drawing boards on this set and evaluate my ability to complete with 36 different coins.It would be a joy to behold for sure given that all coins are original,problem free examples.Unfortunately,coins like this don't come cheap,not even for the commons.

    Building a representative set of 'O' "types" for New Orleans issue dimes (large,medium,small,micro,'O' over horizontal 'O",etc.) might be a more realistic way for me to go.





  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice specimen.... good acquisition. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 34,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
    sorry, i think the barber series is an ugly one but if you like it wtg on it image happy hunting
  • Options
    jdillanejdillane Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭
    Very nice!
  • Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 7,326 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i think the barber series is an ugly one but if you like it wtg on it happy hunting

    This is the first time i've ever heard anyone say Barbers are uglyimage Appreciation for Barbers is all about appreciating mystique image
    ...oh well

    The subject coin has not been messed with.It has some mint luster so that makes this "old school" grader happy.

    I regard my 1901-O as an XF 40.It has a bit more wear and no mint luster.

  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice coin for 1900-O. Very tuff date.

    I love Barber coins and don't see how anyone can call them ugly.

    I have considered many times selling my dimes and doing the complete Barber's all denom's.

    Just can't sell all my hard to find dimes.image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file