Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Sad...1806 Draped Bust Half Found in dad's stuff...pics

I found this awesome old coin in my dad's stuff...I've been liquidating a bunch of silver on ebay from his collection I inherited.
Its mostly been just average stuff, then tonight, I found this one. So close to being the most awesome discovery...if someone hadn't holed it.
Thoughts? Comments? Is it still valuable? Kind of a noob at this still myself...but I'd grade it an easy XF45 maybe 50. Does the hole make it worthless?

Thanks for the expertise you guys provide on this forum!
Matt

image
image
Great BST experiences: abitofthisabitofthat, silvercoinsdude, gerard, coinfame, mikescoins, wondercoin

Comments

  • Options
    kevinstangkevinstang Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭
    Definately not worthless, there are lots of holed coin collectors who would want such a piece in such good condition! I had oddly enough an 1806 holed half once myself, probably a strong VG to Fine example, think I sold it on ebay for around $70 and that was years ago- your fathers would definately be worth more to the right collector in my opinion.
  • Options
    Worthless? No, however, a good many collectors don't buy holed coins. The price will depend on finding a buyer that is interested. Most dealers will low ball these kind of coins, some might only offer silver melt value. Holed and repaired coins will be worth more than those with the hole intact, but still trade at a significant discount to no problem examples. Again, price will vary quite a bit depending on the buyer, and the venue. 20% of the regular price might be a ballpark retail with the hole, wholesale is a fraction of that, often a small fraction.



  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,489 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>Holed and repaired coins will be worth more than those with the hole intact >>

    How would one go about finding someone to repair the hole?
  • Options
    BigDaddyzBigDaddyz Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭
    Would pcgs still grade or at least authenticate it?
    Great BST experiences: abitofthisabitofthat, silvercoinsdude, gerard, coinfame, mikescoins, wondercoin
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,650 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>

    << <i>Holed and repaired coins will be worth more than those with the hole intact >>

    How would one go about finding someone to repair the hole? >>



    image Sorry, this made me laugh. You need a good coin doctor of course...maybe one that isn't being sued right now.
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Not really looking for much these days but if I were, it might be a toner. :smile:
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    There is a guy who specialized in hole repair. He does a good job and I'm sure someone here has his contact info. He won't be sued unless he tries to pass his work fraudulently, which he doesn't.

    --Jerry
  • Options
    OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is the "no stem" variety. I "think" that it is the pointed 6 obverse rather than the knobbed 6, but before you do ANYTHING with this coin PM the board member Nysoto--one of the (actually, THE) board specialists on draped bust halves. If it is the knobbed 6 then this is a very high dollar coin even with the hole.
    Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 14,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Super nice, hole and all! The hole will bring it down a bunch as far as value "$" but if you found it in your dads stuff maybe you should consider keeping it forever....I still treasure stuff that belonged to my dad.
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    On a related note, I just bought a Seated Libery half dollar off of ebay that is holed. I have seen a number coins that have holes. What's up with the holes? Why did people do that?
    Collector of Confederate currency

    Quondo omni flunkus moritati
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,489 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>On a related note, I just bought a Seated Libery half dollar off of ebay that is holed. I have seen a number coins that have holes. What's up with the holes? Why did people do that? >>

    Necklaces, key rings, etc?
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,489 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>It is the "no stem" variety. I "think" that it is the pointed 6 obverse rather than the knobbed 6, but before you do ANYTHING with this coin PM the board member Nysoto--one of the (actually, THE) board specialists on draped bust halves. If it is the knobbed 6 then this is a very high dollar coin even with the hole. >>

    Good info!
  • Options
    NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,833 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OK bustchaser beat me to it this time image If this was a knobbed six, no stem, it could be worth 10K or more with the hole, problem free examples go for 50K+ as there are 7 known. However, this is the pointed 6, no stem, which happens to be the most common of all draped bust half varieties. The other numbers in the date and the star 7 to L distance verify this.

    It is a nice holed coin IMO, worth somewhere around $180-200, although I have not priced them recently. I would not get it plugged, just my opinion as I do not like plugged coins.

    edit - the reverse is also different for the 1806 O109 pointed 6, no stem, which this matches. As an interesting note, there have been two new draped bust half die marriages discovered on this forum
    Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver
  • Options
    BigDaddyzBigDaddyz Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭
    wow, I appreciate all the info and fast responses. I was pretty floored when I found this coin and I was excited to see what you guys would say about it...Thanks again.
    Great BST experiences: abitofthisabitofthat, silvercoinsdude, gerard, coinfame, mikescoins, wondercoin
  • Options


    << <i>

    << <i>On a related note, I just bought a Seated Libery half dollar off of ebay that is holed. I have seen a number coins that have holes. What's up with the holes? Why did people do that? >>

    Necklaces, key rings, etc? >>



    Some coins were nailed to a post, or a wall, large cents in particular. Sometimes folks had no pockets or no secure pockets, so would hole their coins and and wear them around the neck. Pirate crews were said to be prone to this kind of behavior.
  • Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,617 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>Super nice, hole and all! The hole will bring it down a bunch as far as value "$" but if you found it in your dads stuff maybe you should consider keeping it forever....I still treasure stuff that belonged to my dad. >>


    image
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,489 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>

    << <i>

    << <i>On a related note, I just bought a Seated Libery half dollar off of ebay that is holed. I have seen a number coins that have holes. What's up with the holes? Why did people do that? >>

    Necklaces, key rings, etc? >>

    Some coins were nailed to a post, or a wall, large cents in particular. Sometimes folks had no pockets or no secure pockets, so would hole their coins and and wear them around the neck. Pirate crews were said to be prone to this kind of behavior. >>

    Great info. It really makes me think about how people lived back then, especially on the pirates. Thanks for posting image
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 13,268 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i> Pirate crews were said to be prone to this kind of behavior. >>



    Cool thought.

    This is the first holed coin I've purchased.
    I'll always be wondering who and when.

    Best of luck finding someone who'll appreciate your Dad's half BigDaddyz.

    image

    "Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working" Pablo Picasso

  • Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like the half is an O-109 (prime die state). This is the "pointed 6, no stem" variety, which is the common "no stem" variety. It was a bit difficult from the images, but the star placement on the obverse fits the O-109 and not the O-108 ("knob 6, no stem" - the really rare one!).

    If you decided to part with it, it will make a nice addition to a "low budget" or "holed" collector. Then again, if you don't need the money...it would be a great coin to remember your dad. Once you sell it...it's gone forever.

    Lane
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 23,232 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is very cool just the way it is now.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

    In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

    image
  • Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 7,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the hole driller had put the hole right in the O in OF,then the date (1806) wouldn't have been affected by the hole.

  • Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,375 ✭✭✭✭


    << <i>It is very cool just the way it is now. >>



    Yup!
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options
    Keychain.
    molon labe
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,770 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One thing to consider... that hole has been with the coin for a long time. Given how evenly the edges of the hole have worn down with the rest of the coin, it was likely put in the coin before it received much of its wear. Is it a problem coin in the numismatic world? Sure, but the coin balances being 204 years old with having some, but not much wear, and an issue that was likely not seen as a problem when it was imparted however many years ago. That's a neat little piece of history you've got there, not to mention potentially sentimentally valuable.
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    DUIGUYDUIGUY Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭


    << <i>One thing to consider... that hole has been with the coin for a long time. Given how evenly the edges of the hole have worn down with the rest of the coin, it was likely put in the coin before it received much of its wear. Is it a problem coin in the numismatic world? Sure, but the coin balances being 204 years old with having some, but not much wear, and an issue that was likely not seen as a problem when it was imparted however many years ago. That's a neat little piece of history you've got there, not to mention potentially sentimentally valuable. >>




    Exactly! I would give my eye tooth before parting with this one! image
    “A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly."



    - Marcus Tullius Cicero, 106-43 BC
  • Options
    HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PM sent.
  • Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Richard(?) Stockton advertises in Coin World classifieds. Ironically, the biggest problem will be that the rest of the coin is of such high quality and is so wholesome.

    Fixed? Ebay with an honest description perhaps $200.

    You've go kids? Grandpa's karma juice is all over this one.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 47,791 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>Richard(?) Stockton advertises in Coin World classifieds. Ironically, the biggest problem will be that the rest of the coin is of such high quality and is so wholesome. >>



    Allen Stockton does expert coin repairs. His website is crs-stockton.com

    Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 35,966 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had one similar to that more than 30 years ago. It had wonderful original toning and graded EF-AU, but it had a hole just the right of the date. The date damage was not as bad as it is on this coin, and I imagine my coin has been repaired and is now sitting in a collection.

    I bought it for $6.50 from Gimbels department store in Philadelphia in the late 1960s and sold it for $20 a few years later. It would probably bring close to $100 and probably $350 or so today if it was expertly repaired. Without the hole it would be worth three to four thousand today.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭✭


    << <i>Richard(?) Stockton advertises in Coin World classifieds. Ironically, the biggest problem will be that the rest of the coin is of such high quality and is so wholesome.

    Fixed? Ebay with an honest description perhaps $200. >>



    I'd think about double that price.
  • Options
    jdillanejdillane Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭
    problem with an expert repair is that the surfaces will be adversely impacted by the heat applied to the coin. She looks best as she is.

    Ebay is a bit of a crap shoot but is probably the best venue to let her go, if you aren't inclined to keep her....
  • Options
    BigDaddyzBigDaddyz Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭
    I really appreciate all the great comments.

    I'm not inclined to keep it...its not sentimental stuff. This 'collection' is just 'stuff' my dad came across in his restaurant and he knew it was silver or whatever so he threw it in a box.

    Thanks again for all the info. I have some things to check on now.

    Matt
    Great BST experiences: abitofthisabitofthat, silvercoinsdude, gerard, coinfame, mikescoins, wondercoin
  • Options
    garrynotgarrynot Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭
    There are some holed Bust coins in the Stack's Americana Sale right now. You should see what kind of prices they bring before making a decision. JMHO.
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,663 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ya keep that and you give it to your kid or a niece or nephew.

    what are you going to spend a couple hundred dollars on, that would be better than keeping something like this in the family?

    Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>Ya keep that and you give it to your kid or a niece or nephew.

    what are you going to spend a couple hundred dollars on, that would be better than keeping something like this in the family? >>



    What a great reply Baley.
    And so so true.
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file