Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Should P.C.G.S slab the new 1964-D Dollars ?

It would be a dream come true !

Comments

  • Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not just no, but hell no!
  • Options
    Halfhunter06Halfhunter06 Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭
    Why not? If you dont want it, dont submit it.
  • Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>Why not? If you dont want it, dont submit it. >>

    I did not like PCGS holdering "genuine" coins. It makes cruising ebay for a pain in the butt. I think PCGS should stick to holdering coins and not fantasy noncoins. It degrades the PCGS brand.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 47,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes. They set a precedent with the $50 gold Kellogg & Co. and the $10 gold Baldwin & Co horseman reproduction territorial coins struck using gold recovered from the S S Central America. They used regular PCGS shells with a special Collectors Universe label.

    Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    I think it would get 94, altered surfaces except they can't tell the year of the host coin...

  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 47,803 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>I think it would get 94, altered surfaces except they can't tell the year of the host coin... >>



    They could use a special label and could grade it "GEM MATTE PROOF" or similar. A precise grade isn't really that important in this case.

    Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

  • Options
    Actually I think ALL of the 1964D Peace Dollar Fantasy Specimens should be encapsulated
    by a Third Party Grader.
    Not all collectors have computers or are on coin forums. Close your eyes and think about how excited a coin collector
    would become when seeing this coin for the first time WITHOUT the knowledge that a gifted coin designer had began
    making these as a fantasy piece. It would be like one of us finding a 55 Doubled Die or 09 S VDB in change.
    After everything calms down about this or even before
    It would be of great help to collectors later that are not aware
    of the D and the extra Ray on the reverse for identification as a fantasy piece. With no Real reference
    coin from the U.S. Mint. I am betting that at least some will end up being sold to unsuspecting uninformed
    collectors as a real coin.
    If all of them were encapsulated with wording identifying it as a fantasy piece this future problem
    may be alleviated. My guess is that not all of the specimens are being purchased with an appreciation
    for Daniels work, like those purchased by the members of this board.
    But are being purchased by people out in the world with the intent to deceive some poor unsuspecting person with more
    money than knowledge.

    Just My Peace Dollars Worth image

    Terry
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 47,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If PCGS or NGC doesn't slab them, ANACS or some other grading service will slab them. I'd prefer one of the top tier services to step up but if they don't one of the second tier services will do it

    Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

  • Options
    Slabbing will reduce the chances of them being sold as originals, in addition there will be a legit market for them if the TPG would slab them.
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 14,491 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mine was struck over a 1922. The date is obvious. It *could* be slabbed as 1922 genuine altered surface if they follow their own rules but it ain't gonna happen.
  • Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>Slabbing will reduce the chances of them being sold as originals, in addition there will be a legit market for them if the TPG would slab them. >>



    Don't you mean accidentally being sold as originals?
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>

    << <i>Slabbing will reduce the chances of them being sold as originals, in addition there will be a legit market for them if the TPG would slab them. >>



    Don't you mean accidentally being sold as originals? >>



    As a normal submission and not a special "one-off," I doubt PCGS would start slabbing reproductions, encores, fantasies, or whatever stylish term is used. But IF they did, I think they would get a lot of Ron Landis pieces coming their way.

    Edited for early morning grammar errors...
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You are living in a dream world. BTW, not altered surfaces, but damaged. If they were "real". This is pathetic.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    SCDHunterSCDHunter Posts: 686 ✭✭✭
    I wish they would slab all So-Called Dollars!
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 38,624 ✭✭✭✭✭

    "Money does not care about speeches on morality. Capital asks whether the rules will remain the same tomorrow. With inflation, people assume price is the problem, and propose regulation—but price is simply the message." - Martin Armstrong

  • Options
    RampageRampage Posts: 9,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No PCGS should NOT slab these 1964-D so-called Peace Dollars.
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,489 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>

    << <i>

    << <i>Slabbing will reduce the chances of them being sold as originals, in addition there will be a legit market for them if the TPG would slab them. >>



    Don't you mean accidentally being sold as originals? >>

    As a normal submission and not a special "one-off," I doubt PCGS would start slabbing reproductions, encores, fantasies, or whatever stylish term is used. But IF they did, I think they would get a lot of Ron Landis pieces coming their way.

    Edited for early morning grammar errors... >>

    They have already started with the New Haven Fugios, so it's possible that they could decide to slab these.
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,489 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>I wish they would slab all So-Called Dollars! >>

    It is interesting that SCDs, HTTs, and CTs end up, for the most part, in ATS slabs. I agree it would be nice if PCGS slabbed these.
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,489 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>Do-it-yourself >>

    I thought Premier was for PCGS - Premier Coin Grading Service! I'm glad it hasn't come to that yet.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 34,209 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>Not just no, but hell no! >>



    We can say H-E-double hockeysticks now??????

    HELL NO!!!!
    Professional Numismatist, Retired. 55 year member ANA. Former ANA Senior Authenticator. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and ANA Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner of the PNG's 2026 Robert Friedberg Award for "The Enigmatic Lincoln Cents of 1922," Available now from Whitman or Amazon.
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nope.

    MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,618 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've always had the opinion that PCGS or any other TPG should slab whatever I want them to slab. After all, they are a third party grading and encapsulation service. I pay them to grade and encapsulate and to authenticate.

    Now, what they choose to put on the label description is up to them as it represents their guarantee of authenticity and grade.

    They could slab these 64 Peace Dollars and describe them as fantasy pieces on the label.

    After all, they do slab Fugio restrikes. While that's not exactly the same, it is very similar.
  • Options


    << <i>I've always had the opinion that PCGS or any other TPG should slab whatever I want them to slab. After all, they are a third party grading and encapsulation service. I pay them to grade and encapsulate and to authenticate.

    Now, what they choose to put on the label description is up to them as it represents their guarantee of authenticity and grade.

    They could slab these 64 Peace Dollars and describe them as fantasy pieces on the label.

    After all, they do slab Fugio restrikes. While that's not exactly the same, it is very similar. >>



    image

    I believe these pieces will establish their own legitimate place in the market and having a top tier TPG authenticate it as a genuine "D.Carr Fantasy" piece, or whatever they want to call it, makes just as much sense as some of the other things I've seen slabbed.
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Then I have to wonder about the CAC green bean approval. OMG, HTH am I going to get by W/O a green bean to validate my purchase?image
  • Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    image
    GrandAm :)
  • Options
    halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭
    Why Not ? ! ? !

    image

    image

    HH
    Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!
  • Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Prepare for lockdown.........
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 40,183 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think we're indirectly finding out PCGS thinks these are illegal.
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    or not US coins
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ...(crickets)...
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just what the hobby needs. Another Fantasy pieceimageimage
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think if it is holder as a Medal it would be O.K. But that is just me,.Type2. image


    Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    I wonder if rule #6 will be imposed on this thread, too.
  • Options
    If I make a copy of the 1964 Peace Dollar myself, should PCGS encapsulate that also? I could mark it this time around as a copy and limit the mintage to 100 and in turn making it a much rarer variety.

    The 1964 CC (copy copy).
    "To know the road ahead, ask those coming back"
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,489 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are a few options for PCGS based on precedent:

    * Graded slab: Collectors start to generate lots of interest, aka New Haven Fugios
    * Genuine slab: Find the appropriate code
    * Ungraded slab: Customer submits lots of coins, aka Kellogg slugs

    The one that seems the most reasonable for now is the Ungraded slab which are used for modern interpretations.
  • Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 10,283 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ANACS may do these - decision coming soon. If so, they would not be graded, but would be holdered as genuine Peace Dollars, privately over-struck.
  • Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,484 ✭✭✭


    << <i>ANACS may do these - decision coming soon. If so, they would not be graded, but would be holdered as genuine Peace Dollars, privately over-struck. >>

    That sounds like a reasonable way to do it.
  • This content has been removed.
  • Options
    NotSureNotSure Posts: 3,069 ✭✭✭
    Missed the lock-down on the previous thread, so.....+1
    I'll come up with something.
  • Options
    SCDHunterSCDHunter Posts: 686 ✭✭✭


    << <i>If I make a copy of the 1964 Peace Dollar myself, should PCGS encapsulate that also? I could mark it this time around as a copy and limit the mintage to 100 and in turn making it a much rarer variety.

    The 1964 CC (copy copy). >>



    Woo Hoo! I just started collecting 1964-D Peace fantasy dollars. Do you have a production schedule?image
  • Options


    << <i>Slabbing will reduce the chances of them being sold as originals, in addition there will be a legit market for them if the TPG would slab them. >>




    well said , well said indeed
This discussion has been closed.