Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Thinking of opening a store (brick and mortar). Post a Coin or Coins to show What you think.

2»

Comments

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My perspective has evolved since I posted in 2010.

This is just my two CENTs

• Options
    themasterthemaster Posts: 676 ✭✭✭
    Sorry, but your time restraints and the unpredictable metals market would scare the heck out of me.

Have a Great Day!
    Louis
    "If you would know the value of money, go and try to borrow some." Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    I think the one question you have to answer is this one: How bad will I be hit if this is a complete failure?

AHh crapola...i just noticed the date.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    imageimage

It is not easy, but you get to see cool coins more often than not.
  • Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "I see many formerly successful vest pocket dealers stop setting up at local or regional shows. They did very well from 1996-2008 but things have totally changed. What makes your product different that you can succeed where these 10-20 yr veterans failed?"

Exactly.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    if you truly have the drive to succeed, meaning you can make sacrifices when necessary and/or have a lot of start-up capital, go for it.

a lot of determination, relationships, experience, capital, sacrifice(very important) and creativity is what is it going to take

also keep your personal life and expenses in check, a lot of businesses fail due to these but get blamed on bad business

i personally am in love with the freedom being in business for myself provides. she can be a bit challenging at time but i wouldn't trade her for the world

edited for speeling and gramma

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    a small addition:

listen to your instincts, have faith and like dell, gates, buffett, orman, kiyosaki and many more say, LOVE WHAT YOU DO!

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    erickso1erickso1 Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭
    Outside of the numbers and logistics, I say go for it. Businesses are projected on spreadsheets, not built. Work hard and give it a whirl.

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think that it's perfectly viable.

And as for the shops that do not do well, consider that there are many businesses in many industries that do not do well. Usually, it's more a function of bad management than of being in the wrong business. The point is that whatever business you choose, if you run it well, it will probably do well. Conversely, if you're not going to take the business seriously, it will probably not be very successful.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,489 ✭✭✭✭✭

As a retired dealer I can tell you that overhead expenses can kill you because of the low mark-ups in the coin business. When you have the expense of a retail store added to the mix, it is a croaker. Some collectors rag on “brick and mortar” coin shops as “dens of thieves,” but truth is those dealers have to charge higher price and pay lower prices to survive. In addition many of the B&M guys I’ve known, who were successful, had a big presence on the Internet as well with websites and eBay activity.

The concept of being in business for only year and then getting out with a profit is unrealistic. Often it’s going to take you a year to build a customer base, and if you do it right you should be seeing “light at the end of tunnel” (profits) for the second year. Also you might well have to be involved with things in addition to coins. There are very good reasons why so many coin shops were “stamp and coin shops” when the stamp business was viable.

I’d say you would be wise to become an Internet dealer and perhaps take a table at some local shows before you get into the shop end of the business. Running a ground level store has always been a challenge, and in the years since the 1960s and ‘70s where shops seemed to be at their peak it has only gotten harder for those who have tried it.

Edited to add:

I've known a number of dealers who once had ground level stores who moved to second floord offices instead. They will meet with clients at the office, but have limited interactions with the general public.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good luck.

Just don't put any faith in the Police down the street. The Rinckel Mansion (my great grandparents home) in Carson
    City was burglarized and about $100,000 of furnishings, paintings, crystal, etc. (1971 dollars) was stolen and it is RIGHT
    ACROSS THE STREET from the Police Dept. (30 feet away). It was open during the day for tours and closed at night.
    The sheriff's dept patrolled hourly every night, and the thieves figured that out as well.

Thieves, if they want it bad enough will find a way.

Back door, roof, walls. Watch 'em all. Pay particular attention to the installers of the alarms system.

Good luck,
    bobimage

Ah, crapolla, just noticed the date too!
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    paladinpaladin Posts: 898 ✭✭

With apologies to Mr. Carr, this response seems appropriate:

So does anyone know how this worked out?

"The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary."

~ Vince Lombardi
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Commercial real estate in this area is dead, dead, dead. Lots of strip malls around here with only one or two tenants left. I know of one situation where a landlord accepted 10 cents on the dollar rather than kick a tenant out. The point being, overheard will never be lower than it is now. I think a bare bones B&M could be run for $25K/year or less. If you can move $20K in bullion per week and skim off 2.5% you are even. Forget the rare coin part of it, the only way to play that game is on the national show circuit. This is mainly a gold/silver operation.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,489 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Forget the rare coin part of it, the only way to play that game is on the national show circuit. This is mainly a gold/silver operation. >>

In the current market, that is a fair statement. Selling rare coins from a storefront is not going to carry your business. If the metals markets go into the doldrums again they did after the highs of the late 1970s and early ‘80s that market will not be able to save you.

<< <i>Commercial real estate in this area is dead, dead, dead. Lots of strip malls around here with only one or two tenants left. I know of one situation where a landlord accepted 10 cents on the dollar rather than kick a tenant out. The point being, overheard will never be lower than it is now. I think a bare bones B&M could be run for $25K/year or less. >>

The rent might be low, but I'd be reluctant to be dealing in precious metals and other valuables out of an empty strip mall. There was a recent case here in Florida of a dealer who was accosted by a man with knife outside of his store. The man had done business with the dealer in the past so he was no stranger. The man slashed the dealer’s ear; the dealer shot him dead. There were no charges filed against the dealer because of self defense, but still it’s not kind of thing you want as part of your occupation.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the reponces to this two year old thread. I didn't move ahead with a store.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most important thing, take safety precautions very seriously!!!

It could cost you your life. or serious consenquences.

• Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am closing mine at years end for many of the above reasons:

Just praying that I make it safely to years end
  • Options
    ianrussellianrussell Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Capital is really important to a new coin business. Thankfully we went in knowing this and to this date have not been offered a deal we couldn't afford.

- Ian
    Ian Russell
    Owner/Founder GreatCollections
    GreatCollections Coin Auctions - Certified Coin Auctions Every Week - Rare Coins & Coin Values

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file