Home Metal Detecting

Is there a small or portable detector for backpacking?

I do a lot of high country backpacking and I'm looking for something to throw in my pack. I come across old shacks and camps and it would be fun in between fishing to do a little metal detecting. Thanks in advanceimage
A nickel ain't worth a dime anymore.
Yogi Berra

Comments

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have not heard of any specifically made for backpacking. That being said, your best bet is to scan White's and Garrett's sites and read the descriptions - they have many detectors, perhaps one will fit your needs. Cheers, RickO
  • Thanks ricko, most of the small detectors that I saw are pinpointers or probes. I did find this link you don't get a lot of bells and whistles for your money but its small and light.
    Yogi Berra

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think you should continue looking. Go to www.metaldetectingforum.com They have a section on MD's and give honest appraisals and performance reports. As I recall, that one was badly panned. Some users likened it to a bad pinpointer. Good luck, Cheers, RickO
  • I break my DFX or SE Pro down for travel. Either one fits easily in a small tote that I sling over my shoulder. Either could fit in a backpack if you don't mind the weight.
    The worst day detecting is better than the best day working.
  • the ace 250 i have breaks down well and fits in my pack....it breaks down to 3 pieces and fits in, or could be attached on the underside , like a sleeping bag to your pack....i think any lightweight machine like the ace could be carried, when broken down, anywhere you wanna go...hh, hh
    "see ya at the beach"
    imageimageimageimage
  • Thanks for all the great advice. I have an old White's Classic SL that works great but is a little to big and heavy to hike with. So the search begins I'll let you know what I decide, happy hunting. Eric
    Yogi Berra

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,409 ✭✭✭✭✭
    good advice in the above post all. id get something i could break down as well. happy hunting and keep us posted on your finds in the high mountions image. it should be interesting