Home Metal Detecting
Options

9/5/10: First Capped Bust ever (it's an 1821 dime)! 1864 2¢ piece, 1870 Shield Nickel, and Silver Wa

pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭
Wow, of all things, never expected to pull out anything Capped Bust... ever! I figured they were so elusive that I never even put it on my Top 10 Want List. Actually assumed that 18th century Spanish silver was more easily attainable (that's still on the top 10 want list). It's not in the best condition by any means... very worn and someone put a hole through it (quite crude) and looks like also put a couple Xs on the reverse. BUT, still my first capped bust ever.

It was almost a cent-ish sound, but almost could have rang in as a silver dime. Detector indicated only 3 or 4 inches, so I was hoping for a silver roosie at best. As soon as it popped out, it was obvious is was larger than a typical silver dime. The reverse eagle then showed itself and confirmed capped bust! (did I say Capped Bust enough?)

The second find came about an hour later near a newly planted tree. It was a nickel signal about an inch down. Lo and behold - an 1870 Shield Nickel. Completely unexpected. What must have happened was it was unearthed when the new tree was planted, because it was barely an inch down. I hate finding shield nickels though, haha! They come out so horribly. After some polishing on this one I lost the 0 of the date. oh well.

Third came about a minute later around the same tree. This time about two inches deep. Took out a plug and saw the outline of a silver quarter that had fallen out. Now, I'm assuming things would keep in the same date range right? Guaranteed Seated Liberty coming my way! 1942 Washington Quarter. Still nice finding silver.

The fourth find came about a half hour later. Moved next to an old town building. Wasn't sure if this was the place to work through, so after the next signal I was going to head back to the other area. It turns out to be a wheat cent. "Ok, this has potential, I'll try it." About 3 minutes later and about an inch down is an 1864 2¢ piece. Very unexpected, but a nice cap to the day.

Comments