Home Metal Detecting
Options

Which detector do I get?

I am new to the "detecting" scene and am wondering which one would be the best detector out there right now and how much should I expect to spend? I am from a town with major historical provenance and would like to start searching for historical relics and coins.

Matt

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hello Matt,
    This is a perennial question that newcomers ask. The answer is "It depends." It depends on what you will be hunting. You said relics and coins, will this be in parks, playgrounds or woods and fields? Will you be doing any beach hunting? How sure are you that you want to stick with this hobby? Detectors range from a low of about $200 up to $1500 and even more. Many people are happy with a simple machine, others like the features of the advanced units. Talk to us some more regarding the foregoing and we may be able to help more. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Well, I do not plan on going to any beaches. I plan on detecting old school yards, fairgrounds, old race track grandstands, parks, several ghost towns, and your random old farmstead. I just want something that has a fairly short "learning curve" and is priced from $500 - $1,000. Does such a machine exist?

Matt
  • Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You're in a great price range-- a lot of people would even point you to the $200 workhorse of the detecting world; the Ace 250. Great machine to get you into metal detecting and a great machine to keep later as a second machine if you decide you want to ramp up to something more expensive.

That said, in your price range, I really think you'd like another workhorse; the White's MXT.

Personally, it's a bit quirkier and there's no displays at all, analog or digital, but I did love my Fisher CZ-3D, a tone based deep seeking relic hunter. The tones, low, mid, and high, were very pleasing. It may not seem like that big of a deal but my current water hunter, a White's DF sounds like fingernails on a chalkboard to me and there's NO volume control!
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Ace 250 is an excellent entry machine...and for many, it is their permanent machine. Likely a good one for what you want to do and to determine if the hobby is one you like and want to stick with. They retain their value and are an excellent product. Cheers, RickO