Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

New Coin Buy /Sell /Auction Site........

I saw this today when I visited John Wexlers site........http://www.usacoinbook.com/

No ties, don't know the folks, I checked it out and registered today, I'm gonna give it a shot !

Comments

• Options
    CoinCrazyPACoinCrazyPA Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭✭
    Hmm interesting.
    Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

Successful Trades: Swampboy,
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That makes two new ones in the last month or so..... will be interesting to see if they survive. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think this is the same one that was brought up several weeks ago.

Not much out there, but it is growing.

Hope it catches on and some nice hard to find coins are put up there.
  • Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very attractive site. Prices look like they from the Blue Book (or 1945). Searching for coins off a pricelist page is interesting, but when he lists the price for a common date Indian Cent at $52 (RB?) it's going to hurt any seller of that coin. I suppose he'll get the prices fixed eventually.
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options
    habaracahabaraca Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    so how do you find what is up at auction??

I couldn't see anything
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,200 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the owner is a member here.

I think it was last week that he posted on this forum about "want lists" on that site.

we politely pointed him to the BST.

Here is the post on the BST.

usacoinbook.... once you're name is brought up.... feel free to chime in and point people to the BST! imageimage and remind people they can Private Message you!
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    He needs to do some work on the site to make it easier to get where you want to go.
    And, you have to memorize the grade columns or scroll up to the top to know which one you're looking for.
    Also, there only two grades of 60's. MS60 and MS65.

Just minor things but would help.

BTW, I signed up after reading the original post.
    I have a few Barber quarters listed just to test the waters.
    One is a 1901-S G4.

JT
    It is health that is real wealth, not pieces of gold and silver. Gandhi.

I collect all 20th century series except gold including those series that ended there.
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I tried to list but it dumped my listing as the images were too large.
    It only acepted something like 300K images and all of mine are Mega bite size.
  • Options
    Hello everyone,

Thanks for looking at our site, we are still new and have been making a lot of major upgrades, fixes and changes to the site. I will answer a few questions and tell people about some of the updates.

habaraca: You can view all of the auctions from our homepage here: http://www.usacoinbook.com/index.php?displaytype=auction
    Currently, we have 25 auctions and 107 "Buy It Now" products from various dealers and that number is rising. Please check them out, you might find some good deals since our low fees will allow for better sales!

EagleEye: We did find out recently that our coin value/prices were way off when it came to MS63-65 and PR63-65 grades. I am aware of the mistake that I did in that some of the prices such as $52 for the uncirculated MS65 coin should have been based on MS63. I will go through the price guide and update the prices or the table itself to reflect proper prices and coin grades.

Upgrades: A huge upgrade that we did on our site was to convert the eBay style "Buy It Now" system into a "shopping cart" system. So if a customer bought 30 different coins, there wouldn't be 30 different invoices and problems with over-charging the shipping and handling costs. Now customers can browse your store and add items to the cart and there will be just one invoice with multiple products on it. Also, the product with the largest shipping cost will become the base rate and additional products will just be charged the additional shipping fees for multiple items. That way the seller doesn't get short-changed and end up with not enough money to ship products out and the buyer doesn't get over-charged shipping. This is actually a really special feature that even eBay doesn't have (as far as I know)

Another upgrade we did was when you click the links on the left-hand side to browse through the coin prices and value. We added 4 tabs (auctions, buy it now, wishlist, personal collection) to this price table. Then we highlighted all the specific coins corresponding to those tabs and counted the specific coins held by all members on the site. This should help the buyer quickly find what they are looking for.

For instance, check out this page as an example: http://www.usacoinbook.com/coins/small-cents/lincoln-wheat-cent/

If you scroll down, all of the wheat cents for sale will be highlighted blue (if buy now/ for sale tab is selected). There is also a count for each coin on the far right side of the table so you know how many are for sale.

One last thing to remember if you are selling coins in the auction. Since we are still so new and not many buyers know about us yet, your coins may not sell on the auction. If this is the case, I would highly recommend placing your coins in the "Buy It Now" category and let them sit for awhile. Then the search engines will pick it up those pages and people will have a better chance of finding the products when searching on Google. This is just a suggestion until we start getting more regular buyers. I know there are potential buyers coming to the site every day but it's not quite eBay traffic yet.

Let me know there are any other questions or concerns. Remember, there are 25 auctions, 107 "Buy It Now" and 6 items on the wishlist available at good prices (possibly due to our low fees producing better deals?).

Thanks
    Kind regards
    USA Coin Book
    An alternative to eBay: UniSquare, for coins: USA Coin Book
  • Options
    LindeDad,

I was able to increase the maximum file size for images from 300KB to 1MB for uploading 5 images at a time.

Unfortunately, this is about the maximum that we could get. I guess that's one of the advantages of billion-dollar eBay being able to buy high-powered servers that can allow uploads of up to 7MB.

There are other ways that members have used to reduce the file size of the images either by using Adobe Photoshop or MS Paint. Surprisingly, MS Paint had some good results when it came to taking a large multi-Megabyte image and reducing the quality (hence the file size) and the image looked almost just as good when it was reduced to 200KB.

If you don't have these programs on your computer, try using: http://www.imageoptimizer.net/Pages/Home.aspx . You could upload your images on that site and optimize the file size before posting them online. I know it might be a little inconvenient, but at least this is an option if all else fails.
  • Options

I like the concept here. The way I understand it, it would allow me to upload BIN's of my collection without having to have my own website, AND give me more exposure through web searching than my own website would produce. I assume that's correct !!! Anyway, I still have one major problem ....... I'm too lazy to list everything I'm willing to sale, LOL.
  • Options

<< <i>I like the concept here. The way I understand it, it would allow me to upload BIN's of my collection without having to have my own website, AND give me more exposure through web searching than my own website would produce. I assume that's correct !!! Anyway, I still have one major problem ....... I'm too lazy to list everything I'm willing to sale, LOL. >>

This is exactly correct and is one of the main concepts of our site! That's the big reason why this recent upgrade makes our site even more special!

It's like having your own "shopping cart" store and not needing to know programming, buy website hosting and etc... At the same time, you get your own auction house, wishlist tool and a way to track your personal collection. All you need is a PayPal account (if you want to sell) so the money gets sent to one place in an organized fashion and the buyers can use almost any kind of payment method.

This is one reason why I ask other websites to link to us because algorithms for search engines like Google sees this as a "vote of approval" for our site. Hence, this will bring more exposure for dealer products and auctions and bring in more visitors and buyer traffic. Eventually, this helps out anyone who is selling coins or looking for coins without having to go to eBay.
  • Options
    The site does not render properly on an iPad. Please look into this for all your safari loving collectors.

• Options
    Unfortunately this new site has the same problem as eBay, the PayPal only requirement. That rule ruined it for thousands of sellers as they don't have a choice on payment types.

eBay buyers could easily ascertain honest sellers to send a check to whereas eBay sellers are stuck with any potential "PayPal charge-back" buyer who bids or buys. Too high a calculated risk for many high cost coins or volume sellers.

While eBay may charge higher fee's for auctions they also have hundreds of thousands of bidders and so the best money potential for auctions sadly remains with eBay and subsequently PayPal. If a seller accepts the risk of PayPal only BIN sales the new site will compete with eBay as one gets what the asking price is.

I wish this new site well. If they should become competitive with eBay I trust eBay will try to buy the site out.
    "To know the road ahead, ask those coming back"
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,200 ✭✭✭✭✭
    and eBay's been making up for declining profits on their side with increasing PayPal profits.

are there fee increases ahead for PayPal?

anyway, I was quite happy taking personal checks, us money orders, and cashier's checks drawn on us banks until eBay changed the rules. My customers were happy, too.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file