Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Sometimes it's the little newp's that really make you happy!

BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
There's been some great newp coins posted on the forum and I can't deny that I don't enjoy acquiring a new coin purchase. Yet for most part they are locked up away from home in a SDB and I'm just left with images on my PC. My library is the part of this hobby that always within an arms distance and adding a new piece of reference material to it gives me the same joy as buying a coin. I've mentioned a few times that it's quite possible to enjoy this hobby without owning a single coin. As looking a coins is neat and you might pick up a thing or two, but they do not feed your brain the way a book can and this is a hobby where knowledge makes a difference. So today I ran across an old Bowers and Merena auction catalog from 1984 that had major sale of HTT's that I was unaware of, a collection of 71 lots with 31 pictured. This $12 purchase shipped has me bouncing off the walls with excitement just waiting for it's arrival to page through it!

Edited to add:

Sorry if some of you find this post lame, but there's only a small smidgen of worthy info on some series in this hobby on the internet... so printed reference material is a necessity. And some series have so little printed reference material that acquiring older auction catalogs is the only way to really gain more insight.
To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!

Comments

• Options
    LotsoLuckLotsoLuck Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭
    Sounds like a great catalog but i'll still take the coins imageimage
  • Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>... so printed reference material is a necessity. And some series have so little printed reference material that acquiring older auction catalogs is the only way to really gain more insight. >>

• Options

<< <i>Sounds like a great catalog but i'll still take the coins imageimage >>

Yeah I could most likely have bought 3-4 really great looking HTT's with what I've spent amassing every major auction sale catalog since the 1950's... Still the books to me are the wiser investment.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>... so printed reference material is a necessity. And some series have so little printed reference material that acquiring older auction catalogs is the only way to really gain more insight. >>

image >>

Thanks MidLifeCrisis! image

Looking to pick-up the Richard Picker sale catalog to see your Mott! image
  • Options
    could I perhaps interest you in a wiiide variety of college biology texts from the '90's? image
  • Options

<< <i>could I perhaps interest you in a wiiide variety of college biology texts from the '90's? image >>

jsf, Thanks for the offer... But I'll pass! image
  • Options
    savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭
    i can relate 100%

older auction catalogs and dealer price lists are invaluable resources........for this calendar year i have certainly purchased more books than coins

we always have threads that identify our terrific coin dealers, how about some recognition for our book guys (i'm thinking of George Kolbe, David Fanning, Bryce Brown and Karl Moulton to name a small handfull)

www.brunkauctions.com

• Options
    determineddetermined Posts: 771 ✭✭✭

<< <i>... My library is the part of this hobby that always within an arms distance and adding a new piece of reference material to it gives me the same joy as buying a coin. I've mentioned a few times that it's quite possible to enjoy this hobby without owning a single coin. As looking a coins is neat and you might pick up a thing or two, but they do not feed your brain the way a book can ... >>

LOL, it's interesting you mention this. Because I love and enjoy my coins. But I've always said that if I had to chose between my coins and my history/numismatic books, I would always choose the books.

<< <i>... I've mentioned a few times that it's quite possible to enjoy this hobby without owning a single coin. ... >>

I think that's very true!
    I collect history in the form of coins.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I still prefer my coins... However, I do have a significant library of coin books to which I refer even more frequently than my coins. I believe the books are as much of the hobby as the coins themselves. I do not believe I would have nearly as much pleasure from this hobby without the publications. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Aegis3Aegis3 Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭
    I take it this means you now have good large photos of the excessively rare Low-82.
    --

Ed. S.

(EJS)
  • Options
    halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭
    I always order a book or two when ordering supplies. Just ordered Mark Goodmans Numismatic Photography and RWBs
    Renaissance of American Coinage 1905-1908 with my supply order from Wizard. Plan to get the rest of the Renaissance series next order.
    As always, I can hardly wait for them to arrive!

HH
    Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file